Are software updates covered by the 7 year warranty ?

MazzyW

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I have discovered that I need my 2020 MG ZS EV to have a software update so that it can accept timed charging (so I can get the off peak rate under Octopus Go)., This is different from things like the Comfort 2 pack upgrade which I don't want for now. The software update I want is simply a necessary fix to repaid a fault with the car. In my mind this should be a warranty item no question. Just wondering what has been folk's experience of different dealers on this. Also, who makes warranty calls ?- is it the local dealer or MG national ? Cheers, Mark

I don't think you can claim a missing feature on a car as a fault, it was part of the original design.

Are you assuming the dealer will refuse to do this foc?

We where early adopters of the ZS EV and delayed charging could not be facilitated with the two wall boxes that MG recommended as suitable for the ZS EV.
When the car is shut down, after a short time, it would go into a deep sleep 💤 and would not wake up at the delayed time required.
A software fix was introduced, but it had mixed results.
MG blamed Rolec and Pod Point of course, And dumped the problem firmly on their laps.
Dealers played their part ( in most casts ) of updating the car FOC.
Mine was done prior to collecting our car.
The update was to stop the car from failing into that deep sleep.
We had a dumb Rolec wall box and not the newer smart units.
Therefore controlling the delayed charging was only achievable by introducing a Wi - Fi relay into the wall box and then controlling the charging times from an App on the phone.
At the time, it was an absolute “God Send”.
If you cheap rate commences at mid night, you are having to wait up until mid night before you can take advantage of that cheaper rate that you are paying for indirectly.
The car has no App or “In-Car” settings in the head unit, to schedule timed charging functions.
The new ZS EV face lift have addressed both of these issues now.
I am a little surprised that your car did not get the update as part of the PDI checks ????.
Mind you, it has never really been a problem until you opted for a “Off Peak” tariff I guess ?.
Some people managed to get the “ Comfort 2” update done FOC by their dealers, but in main cases ( me for one ) I made the decision to have it done, and paid £80 for the dealers time.
At the time there was huge debate that it should have been covered under warranty.
Given some the strange behaviour the car displayed with regards to the level of bongs etc.
One real annoyance, is when your passenger leaves the car late at night, when you are still in the drivers seat.
If you passenger leaves the car, before YOU open the drivers doors, the horn will sound as if the alarm has been set off !.
People said ( and rightfully so ) that this could be seen as a legal offence, and therefore would have been corrected FOC.
MG told its dealers it was at their discretion to apply the update, but DO NOT submit a warranty claim for the work, because it would be rejected.
This may explain why some cars have slipped through the net !.

My 2 cents on timed charging. How i came around it for now is by buying Kasa wifi timer switch. It also monitors how much energy i am consuming.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom