Are the MG5 headlights bright enough? Has anyone upgraded them?

Mr C

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Expecting my artic white MG5 at the end of Jan. Are the headlights bright enough? Has anyone upgraded the bulbs on an MG5?

I asked my dealer to upgrade mine to LED's but they refused. I am told they are rubbish but dont have my car till later this week

It may be in the ZS but the MG 5 has auto levelling lights on the Exclusive model so it should be legal.....i think

The light units themselves have got to be designed for LED bulbs, not for incandescent lamps. If they are not, then it is illegal to fit LEDs though I know of many people who have done so and have had no issues at MOT time.

Guess thats why my MG garage wouldnt fit them...I will just go to my local garage if I cant do it myself

They are definitely not as good as the lights I’ve had in recent years, Xenon & LED but they are adequate. They emit more “yellow” than bright white, as a guide I noticed because of what I’ve been used to (10 years of Mercs) however my wife didn’t, and she drove the other cars. 🤔

I will prob notice the difference coming from a Golf GTD with xenon lights as they are the best lights on any car I have ever driven. They even change angles going round corners so will def miss them

FYI. The MG5 exclusive does not have auto levelling headlights. They do have adjustable levels from a dial next to the mirror switch, but they’re not the automatically levelling type that you need for aftermarket HID units.

I find the headlights fine, with a standard halogen yellowish colour temperature and the projector lens giving a very sharply defined cutoff.

It is this colour temperature that gives the appearance of being dim, hence some have a preference to change the bulbs to a whiter/bluer colour. It’s personal preference.

FYI. The MG5 exclusive does not have auto levelling headlights. They do have adjustable levels from a dial next to the mirror switch, but they’re not the automatically levelling type that you need for aftermarket HID units.

I find the headlights fine, with a standard halogen yellowish colour temperature and the projector lens giving a very sharply defined cutoff.

It is this colour temperature that gives the appearance of being dim, hence some have a preference to change the bulbs to a whiter/bluer colour. It’s personal preference.
My ZS is on standard bulbs - whilst not fantastic, I currently find them adequate for my needs. The ZS also has the headlight adjustment wheel that you mention.

I appreciate that the MG5 may have lights that are less effective than cars fitted with Xenon and LED tech, but how do they compare to older cars? e.g I would be coming from a 2012 Mondeo, which AFAIA has halogens - would I see much difference?

I just cant be bothered changing mine...for all the driving I do, let alone night driving at the moment I cant justify the cost and the hassle.

Just to say that from January 2021 there has been new MOT rules regarding LED lamps fitted to head lamps.
They are an MOT failure now.
You could always fit the standard OEM lamps for the MOT and then switch back to the LED’s if you can be bothered with the “Faff”.
Remember, this is seen as a modification over factory spec and therefore may be of some interest to your car insurance company.
I would check first !.

They were always illegal, so now the MOT has been updated in alignment.

Strictly speaking LEDs in any "exterior" lamp not designed for LEDs is illegal, but it seems they are only after headlights.

They were always illegal, so now the MOT has been updated in alignment.

Strictly speaking LEDs in any "exterior" lamp not designed for LEDs is illegal, but it seems they are only after headlights.

Yeah - It’s a problem that is now given to the MOT station to parole instead of the police.

Felt standard bulbs were a little dim... So 'upgraded' to LED's. Though these seem 'brighter'/'whiter' overall they also seemed to produce a more 'diffuse' beam - not giving the sharp edges to the lighted area. Probably down to the LED bulbs I used... Now trying OSRAM night breakers... Which seem brighter than standard and give better 'sharpness' over the LED's... But still not really bright enough for my liking.... HID kit now on order....

I’ll worry about it in three years..
LED lamps do suffer from a much shorter life span than the standard OEM lamps.
If you managed to get to the first MOT without replacing one, I would be very surprised.
This depends on usage of course.
But the consensus of a opinion is around 12 to 18 months on a LED head light lamp.

They are definitely not as good as the lights I’ve had in recent years, Xenon & LED but they are adequate. They emit more “yellow” than bright white, as a guide I noticed because of what I’ve been used to (10 years of Mercs) however my wife didn’t, and she drove the other cars. 🤔
I hope MG will take all these comments on board and next 2022 EV should have LED’s on. I had to upgrade mine to night breaker ones, yet can’t compare to the BMW LED lights I’m used to over 8 years !!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom