Ask MG to publish info about software updates

It's very unlikely they will. They do not even post what work is carried out for a first service. How could a vat registered garage carry out a service on the MG EV ZS without knowing what items to check/replace in order to keep the car under warranty. In law cars do not need to be serviced by an approved MG dealer in order to retain warranty.

I think they should look to effectively control updates through their dealer network. In the absence of OTA updates this would seem the most sensible option. Some of the challenges they face are adopting a sensible update versioning strategy and getting a consistent application of this across their network of dealerships, along with release notes that can be shared with the customer. Also having an effective and consistent customer communication plan would help.

It would also be nice to see an actual walk-through video of a software update on a car by a dealer. This would provide customers with greater transparency on what is actually done when their cars are updated. I think dealers need to come to terms with the fact these are not like the old ICE cars getting serviced and come more in line with IT best practices - by doing this they will get more customer buy-in and support.

It would also be nice to see an actual walk-through video of a software update on a car by a dealer. This would provide customers with greater transparency on what is actually done when their cars are updated. I think dealers need to come to terms with the fact these are not like the old ICE cars getting serviced and come more in line with IT best practices - by doing this they will get more customer buy-in and support.
Same for a service given the wide range of charges.

Would an OBD sort of gadget be able to find out what version and updates the car have had?

Would an OBD sort of gadget be able to find out what version and updates the car have had?
It probably will be in time. At the moment the guys over at MG Discourse are trying to reverse engineer the can bus data so they can decode it into useable information.

MG could give us that information but probably won't.

Already available in the form of OVMS

Already available in the form of OVMS
@Mike I think you have the OVMS haven't you?
Curious, have you got a list of software versions from your car on all of the difference modules?
Cheers

Given that Tesla has recently had a "Please Explain" to Chinese Authorities regarding unhappy customers, it would be interesting what is on Chinese MG ZS EV Sites and what info they are getting given these cars are Chinese built?

Not a lot of point if you don’t have OVMS as there is no other way of telling.

Lots of information shared on Mike Abbott’s website.

So I've found a list of the "ECUs" on the car with their software versions.
I'm not sure if each is an actual separate ECU, or somehow a separate controller or what, my knowledge here is limited.
Obviously without getting this data dump from lots of cars to compare, we can't actually identify what updates the software versions relate to.
Anyway I find it fascinating to know that there seems to be quite a lot on the car that could probably be updated independently.
I think from what I've read, the latest (15th Jan) BMS update is version 1016620R40, could be wrong though and I've misinterpreted.

EPB S001
ABS 1019000000
EPS Zs11ESVf17
GWM 0026011080
ATC REL_DC_BEV_C036
PEPS ZS11SW01
DCDC F01R0A7355
VCU F01R0AJ245
PLC 1770099611
EVCC V101B02D00
ICE S160630.01
TC F01R0A7354