At what SOC is one pedal driving available?

ChrisR

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
I recently got the base model MG4 (called Excite 51 in Australia, SE SR in UK) and though initially not expecting it to have one pedal driving (OPD) found that the latest update before delivery indeed made it a feature of even this model. I got used to the subtly different driving style it needs and became a firm fan even though I'd previously said I could live without it.

After my first charge to 100%, upon restart I got a message when selecting OPD 'Unavailable, low charge warning' and there was no appreciable regen braking either, with a similar warning (which flashed off too quickly for me to record). As the SOC reduced to about 96% regen braking kicked in again but OPD is still unavailable now I'm down to 93%. I would have thought it would only require the same battery buffer.

Does anyone know what SOC is required for OPD to be operational, and perhaps is it different for the different battery types (51 kW LFP and 64-77 kW NMC)? Or do I have a different problem?

Edit: turns out it's 89% (at least on my car)

Last edited:
I recently got the base model MG4 (called Excite 51 in Australia, SE SR in UK) and though initially not expecting it to have one pedal driving (OPD) found that the latest update before delivery indeed made it a feature of even this model. I got used to the subtly different driving style it needs and became a firm fan even though I'd previously said I could live without it.

After my first charge to 100%, upon restart I got a message when selecting OPD 'Unavailable, low charge warning' and there was no appreciable regen braking either, with a similar warning (which flashed off too quickly for me to record). As the SOC reduced to about 96% regen braking kicked in again but OPD is still unavailable now I'm down to 93%. I would have thought it would only require the same battery buffer.

Does anyone know what SOC is required for OPD to be operational, and perhaps is it different for the different battery types (51 kW LFP and 64-77 kW NMC)? Or do I have a different problem?
I don't know the percentage charge for OPD to kick in but it is definitely normal for it not to be available at 100% state of charge. For any regen to work, the battery needs space to charge up.

So it seems no one knows or has come up against this issue. After further searching I've found two mentions on other forums, one saying OPD is only available below 80% SOC and another saying 90%. Can anyone confirm either?

So it seems no one knows or has come up against this issue. After further searching I've found two mentions on other forums, one saying OPD is only available below 80% SOC and another saying 90%. Can anyone confirm either?
I don't have a definitive answer but when I test drove the Trophy
the dealer said regen does not work above 90% soc.

I’ll check on my next outing at 100%.
From memory regen per se on my SR kicks in at 97% but whether it’s level 1,2 or 3 I can’t remember.
I take OPD requires a good amount of headroom to ensure proper operation.

SR LR here. I had the same issues above when I collected the car and it was at 100%. I tried it again around the low 90's and it worked and it was working today at 95% after a test charge on Ionity..

Thanks @ChilledMatt @fnegroni MG4 SE SR gen1 and @SimonS, it looks like I might have to wait for 90%. I'll check again today (currently at 93%). Also it looks like maybe the NMC battery in the LR is different due to the different buffer required for 'full' charge.

I'll probably charge to only 90% from here on, unless I really need it for a long trip, as I want to have OPD always available around town.

I've had it work around 96% ... not very strong though
Do you mean regen braking or one pedal driving? I've had regen kick in again at 96% and not very strong but one pedal driving is either on or off.

Aha! Problem solved. OPD is only available above 89% SOC. Or at least that's the case on the Excite 51 (SE SR in UK) with the latest update. It finally allowed me to set it today after getting below 90%. I guess I'll only be charging to 89% for regular driving from now on.

It's definitely not below 80% it's come on at 94% on my Trophy LR 2nd Gen

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 501 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel