Audio system sound quality

enjoylife

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi all,

Read a few places saying MG ZS EV has a poor audio system forcing many to upgrade to better speakers/woofer etc and yet some people say it’s absolutely fine.

So please tell me how it is in your experience - good, bad or so so?

I have never had this problem with modern cars with pretty much all having decent quality audio systems from factory. But it seems MG is lacking in this basic area. Also don’t think new MG ZS EV LR improves this situation?

All comments welcome please.

Zs EV Gen1 sounds ok when tweaked. Remember you are not paying for a premium system. You could spend another £1500 easily in upgrading.

There's a reason it's the cheapest EV to buy :) - built to a budget remember.

I can understand probably budget compromises on a £20-22k car (Gen1 ZS) which I agree was damn cheap back in the day. But the new £30-32k+ higher end LR Trophy models has no excuse not to have a decent/premium sound system.

Most other cars for similar or less value have no issues here - ID3, Leaf long range, Ioniq classic, etc. looks like MG have dropped the game here in a important area.

I test drove the new zs in December and found the audio ok. It was better than mine in the MG5.
Sales rep also thought the system was improved but there was no indication in the sales blurb that it had.

I am of the opinion that the Trophy and Trophy I-Connect, has two more speakers installed over the standard SE spec model.
It was the same in the previous Excite and Exclusive models.
The head unit in the new ZS EV face lift model has completely been updated.
Maybe there has been some improvement to the sound quality via this route ?.
I have found that the sound system in the ZS EV ( Gen1 ) to be “adequate” as @ARealHuman states.
I guess it depends on what level of importance you place your listening pleasures are at ?.
If you have a quality Hi-Fivsystem in your home, then your going to find it a bit “Lacking” let’s just say !.
It’s no Bose system etc that’s for sure.
There is a YouTube video available of a ZS getting a complete upgrade to the sound system.
I guess you get what you pay for really.
Yeah - “Adequate” is a fair and honest view.

I have been driving my trophy connect for two days. The sound quality is not impressive. The speaker has no bass. My other cars are c-class and caddy maxi 7 seater. VW caddy has 6 bigger speakers and richer sound. The speaker in MG is just too small. ZS trophy connect is a £32K car which is expensive than my c-class. Surely MG need to improve some quality here.

I am exploring having an under seat sub woofer fitted as I am told this transforms the audio sound. The front speakers could be upgraded and this would all cost £750 or so with additional sound proofing. Much less than the 7k for other premium cars.

I remember years ago in 1960s our family doctor used to sit in his Rover listening to the radio as he thought it was the best available in his house.

For most people audio quality is not a concern whatever the product is. Remember the Dansette record player mounted in a cardboard case?

It's not fantastic but if you play around with the settings, it can go from terrible to just above adequate with the Exclusive's 6 speaker system, depending on how you set it up.
Hint: if you want more bass, increase the low frequencies in the equaliser and turn up the volume.

Right then… going for another test drive tomorrow specially to play around with different audio settings and see if I can make it sound “adequate” to my ears. Will report back but any tips on your optimum settings for me to try out will be welcome.

It is important to me to have a decent sound system as I do enjoy my music and this becomes even more important in an generally very quiet electric car.

I am actually quite surprised MG haven’t nailed it given it’s 2022!! My 2006 Vauxhall Vectra Elite I owned many years ago had fantastic audio system. Owned number of different cars over the past decade and all had decent to great audio system. Even my current Nissan Leaf Tekna has premium bose audio with subwoofer etc that sounds more than decent - this model was launched back in 2013!! Come on MG!

Even my current Nissan Leaf Tekna has premium bose audio with subwoofer etc that sounds more than decent
If you are a Bose system fan, then be prepared to be under underwhelmed sorry !.
A sub would go along way.
This is coming from a long time Bose fan.
( In fact I am wearing a pair of blue tooth, QC35 noise cancelling head phones right now ).

With all the complaints about the audio system, I think it's important to remember it's built to a cost. If you want better quality audio, you'll have to fork out for it! A few years back I had a Kia Sportage and specified that with upgraded audio, including a sub in the boot. Sound quality was impressive to my ears.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom