Australian MG4 pricing and some specs announced

BeamingJim

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Saw a few announcements today that give pricing and features for the Australian MG4. Not sure on the accuracy of the information but I've put a few links below.

It looks like they are launching with a configuration similar to UK Trophy spec, but with 18" wheels (which is good as I was considering a wheel upgrade if we got the smaller ones).

I'm a bit conflicted now as I had planned to get the base model with the LFP battery, but now I'm tempted by this as the pricing ($48k before on-roads) is pretty good. (the range reducing spoiler also looks good in my opinion ;))

MG4 2023 price revealed as one of Australia’s cheapest new EVs

MG confirms Australian price for the all-electric MG4 to start at $47,990

Happy to hear opinions, plus any other differences between specs anyone notices.

Looks like you are getting 18 inch wheels, but on one view it shows 17 inch wheels with 225/65 tyres, we are on 215/50 ,s so maybe the bigger aspect ratio will make up the bigger diameter?
Guess they will alter the speedo calculations to suit, also the Volcanic orange colour is advertised as metallic where ours is flat.

Interesting OriginalBigAl, thanks. I'm impressed by your photo detective skills :), though I wouldn't put it past some journalists to just use stock photos from other countries.

Typically here, 18 inch will refer to just the rim size with the final real diameter not normally quoted, but determined by tyre dimensions as you mentioned.

MG Australia is inviting registration for pre sales ($47,990) from 11 April with delivery in 2H23, although the MG website appears to accepting pre sale orders immediately -

It uses the larger 64kWh battery with 435km WLTP.

I am not sure atm what I'll do.

Some concern about problems with the MG4 in the UK moved my interest over the last 4 weeks to the BYD Dolphin which is also on the verge of opening pre sale orders here.

It looks a good EV and should come in around AUD $42,000 or so before on road costs. Government rebate and sale of my existing vehicle will further reduce up front costs.

Got some thinking to do over Easter. A test drive might help me make my mind up.

BYD is a huge industrial conglomerate with years of experience in battery manufacture and with skyrocketing EV sales. Its tipped to have the second largest vehicle sales in Australia by 2030 and give Tesla a run for its money soon. Tesla announced another drop in prices across all its models about a week ago here and delivery times are down under 6 weeks.

BYD are also supplying the batteries they manufacture to Tesla. Warren Buffet is also a major investor in BYD.

Last edited:
Interesting OriginalBigAl, thanks. I'm impressed by your photo detective skills :), though I wouldn't put it past some journalists to just use stock photos from other countries.

Typically here, 18 inch will refer to just the rim size with the final real diameter not normally quoted, but determined by tyre dimensions as you mentioned.
Same here (and probably everywhere) ... the diameter specified is that of the wheel rim. Overall diameter depends on the tyres fitted.

I'm a bit conflicted now as I had planned to get the base model with the LFP battery, but now I'm tempted by this as the pricing ($48k before on-roads) is pretty good. (the range reducing spoiler also looks good in my opinion ;))

MG4 2023 price revealed as one of Australia’s cheapest new EVs

MG confirms Australian price for the all-electric MG4 to start at $47,990

MG are saying they haven't set a price as yet, but they are taking pre-orders requiring $1,000 refundable deposit.

On the Whirlpool MG4 thread linked below it seems the $47,990 figure quoted in various Australian web articles prior to Easter will have GST 10% added plus $2,000 or so dealer delivery fees (at dealers discretion apparently) - in one instance a price prior to Rego, Insurance & Green Slip of $54,000 in Victoria.

Ouch!

No mention of this in the motoring articles I've seen.

Interesting...

On the Whirlpool MG4 thread linked below it seems the $47,990 figure quoted in various Australian web articles prior to Easter will have GST 10% added plus $2,000 or so dealer delivery fees (at dealers discretion apparently) - in one instance a price prior to Rego, Insurance & Green Slip of $54,000 in Victoria.

Ouch indeed, and WA has even higher stamp duty costs compared to the rest of Australia 😭

Whether GST is excluded is just speculation though, so I'll wait and see the final drive away price from my dealer. If the gap to the RWD Model 3 closes up much more though, then I'd have more of a dilemma.

Copy of a Media release from MG Australia -

Added GST doesn't seem to be an issue, but the much higher numbers seen on whirlpool a few days ago seem to relate to dealers fees etc etc ??

Looks like it comes down to your dealer plus state based pricing to arrive at a final number.

Some more pricing has been released for Australia, though it seems MG Australia is incapable of updating their website or even informing the dealers as none of this appears anywhere official :mad:

• MG 4 51kWh Excite – under consideration for Australia
  • MG 4 64kWh Excite – $44,990
  • MG 4 64kWh Essence – $47,990
  • MG 4 77kWh Essence – $55,990
  • MG 4 X-Power AWD – under consideration for Australia
This is likely to be a deal breaker for me sadly, as I believe the LFP batteries are the way to go, and based on the specs it looks like we don't get that option (I'm assuming the 64 and 77kWh will both be NMC).

It's about Wh per kg ... NMC batteries are more energy-dense than LFP batteries, so the battery packs are smaller (hence lighter) for the same kWh rating. Thus higher power ratings can be achieved for the same LFP battery pack weight.

(LFP batteries have their own challenges too - particularly relating to BMS and charge/discharge curves).

MG Australia have now posted more details on their website of the three models of MG4 about to be released in Australia -

Various motoring websites say pricing has also been confirmed across the models -

The 64kWh Excite will be priced at $44,990 plus on-road costs.

The 64kWh Essence will be $47,990 plus on-road costs.

The 77kWh Essence will be $55,990 plus on-road costs.

Range of the models will be 530km (77kWh Essence), 450km (64kWh Excite) and 430km (64kWh Essence). Lithium-ion battery across the range.

Rear wiper is in the specs.

MG Motors releases pricing of its highly-anticipated MG4 EV hatchback - Tech Guide

MG MG4 arrives in Australia Q3 2023, price starts from $44,990 - Driving Enthusiast

2023 MG 4 electric hatch pricing: Full line-up detailed

Last edited:
For those of you that are wondering how the prices compare to the UK

The 64kWh Excite will be priced at $44,990 plus on-road costs. = SE LR £23,975

The 64kWh Essence will be $47,990 plus on-road costs. = Trophy £25,573

The 77kWh Essence will be $55,990 plus on-road costs. = Trophy Extra Range £29,836

For those of you that are wondering how the prices compare to the UK

The 64kWh Excite will be priced at $44,990 plus on-road costs. = SE LR £23,975

The 64kWh Essence will be $47,990 plus on-road costs. = Trophy £25,573

The 77kWh Essence will be $55,990 plus on-road costs. = Trophy Extra Range £29,836
If OTR costs are 10% GST plus $2,000 dealer as mentioned earlier then these prices are closer to the UK pricing but still cheaper - eg Trophy would be £29,273.

If OTR costs are 10% GST plus $2,000 dealer as mentioned earlier then these prices are closer to the UK pricing but still cheaper - eg Trophy would be £29,273.

We have a bit more 'clarification' on that as well.

$47,990 for the Essence includes the 10% GST.

The ORC's are Dealers delivery Fee of about $2000 plus about $1000 for Registration plus third party insurance. Additional $7-800 for all the metallic paint options, white - no additional charge.

Plus with Essence there are some of items that I believe only come with the UK Trophy -

360-degree camera ?
Twin-aero rear spoiler
Two-tone roof
PU & Fabric Seat
6 Speaker Audio
Driver's 6-way Electrically Adjustable Seat

Just to muddy the waters a bit more, the ORC's above relate to NSW. Additional for the other States, in part possibly as the vehicles are landed in Sydney and shipping/ trucking them interstate costs apply. But dealers can charge what they see fit I believe.

No import duty either because of the Australia/China free trade deal - so that might explain some of the difference as well.

But MG are offering a pretty good deal.

BYD Dolphin is due for launch and details of trim and prices this thursday on the Gold Coast in Qld - at Sea World (as one does) :)

Then out of the blue today comes the following from MG -

2023 MG 4 51kWh price revealed: Australia’s new cheapest electric car
The base-model version of the MG 4 from China has become Australia's new most affordable electric car – and the first to drop below the $40,000 plus on-road costs mark.

The cheapest version of the 2023 MG 4 electric hatchback from China will be priced from $38,990 plus on-road costs when it arrives in showrooms in August.

It is $6000 cheaper than the next model up, the MG 4 64kWh Excite ($44,990 plus on-road costs), which has the same features but a larger battery pack for more driving range (450km vs 350km), and a higher power output (150kW vs 125kW).

It compares to 150kW, 64kWh and 435km to 450km for the dearer 64kWh Excite and Essence variants of the vehicle.

Standard features are yet to be confirmed for the new base variant – more details are expected soon – but it is expected to match the 64kWh Excite variant with the larger battery.

These include 17-inch wheels, LED headlights, a 10.25-inch touchscreen with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, a 7.0-inch instrument display, rear-view camera, four-speaker stereo, black fabric upholstery, autonomous emergency braking, lane-keep assist and adaptive cruise control (but no blind-spot monitoring or rear cross-traffic alert).

The 2023 MG 4 51kWh Excite is due in showrooms from mid-August, pending any delays – as part of a broader model range expected to include up to five variants.

2023 MG 4 Australian pricing
MG 4 51kWh Excite – $38,990 (new)
MG 4 64kWh Excite – $44,990
MG 4 64kWh Essence – $47,990
MG 4 77kWh Essence – $55,990
MG 4 64kWh X-Power AWD – $TBC

More -

Probably LFP battery in the 51 kWh version as well.

Will interesting to see what pricing BYD announce on Thursday.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 539 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back