Auto headlight flashing

Yep but generally they leave them on until its light again or the driving is over. Not turn them on and off in quick succession over and over as they drive along.

Wouldn't be so annoying if you could disable the auto lights and they remain so.

Given the number of time the just operate them manually response gets wheeled out. Seem some people are hard of comprehension that there are 2 distinct issues here. Not just its a bit too dark when they come on.

Wouldn't be so annoying if you could disable the auto lights and they remain so.
That does annoy me as it’s the 1st car I’ve had that you can’t turn auto head lights fully off
The Kia Ceed and Ford Focus I’ve owned with auto headlights you could turn it off

It is an MG issue, my Skoda auto headlights are absolutely fine. The sensitivity can be adjusted by the driver and they have a decent amount of hysteresis so they don't flash on and off.
My MG lights don't seem to flash but then it has to be pitch black before they come on at all so trees and carparks aren't a problem. I have resorted to manual operation.
The auto dip works ok most of the time.
I intend to take the car to the dealer and get the sensitivity tweaked (which I understand can be done). But this runs the risk of flashing starting.
Is the sensor underneath the rear view mirror in the large box?

Have they told you in writing that this is "normal" behaviour?

I would write to mg uk and reference this forum as evidence of the issue. I'd quite happily put my name to this with you.
I would put to them there are 2 issues. 1 - the general view its to dark when they turn on that seems to affect all cars. 2- the on / off cycling that seems to affect 2022 cars.
Myself this afternoon while driving around a multistorey car park had them turning on and immediately off as the light levels changed marginally.
Give them 28 days to respond before reporting it to the dvsa as a potential safety issue for recall.
I have again Written to MGUK thus…..
Since your last email my car has been back to my MG dealership and the light sensor was replaced. This has had no effect with what I see as a problem namely when I drive through different light situations ie through a tree lined road the lights flash at oncoming traffic. I have again informed Donalds in Peterborough who inform me that they have consulted MGUK of my ongoing concerns and were told that the lights turning on and off rapidly when going along a tree lined road was in fact normal. I don’t believe it’s normal as no other car I have ever owned flashes on and off and in fact I believe it’s an offence under the Road Traffic Act.

I would refer you to the MG EV Community online forum and the MG5 EV forum on Facebook where many owners of 2022 MG5’s have had the same problem. If you are saying that this anomaly is normal then I will have to report it to DVSA and request an investigation.

Please could you pass this email and my previous emails to someone in authority at MGUK because I feel that this problem is not being addressed correctly.

I received the following reply this morning….

Thank you for your further correspondence, however, I can only refer you to my previous reply.

It is important to take the vehicle technician at the dealership on a test drive so that you can demonstrate what may be happening. Similarly, you should then take another car, of the same model and specification out with the same technician so that you can see whether the two cars are comparable.

If both cars operate in the same manner, then we can eliminate or confirm whether further investigation is required.

Unfortunately, MG Motor UK Ltd are not going to interact or recognise comments on social media and can only refer to actual cases referred to a dealership.

The MG5 has been on the market for more than 2 years now, and auto lights have been present on MG vehicles since 2014. I can state that this is the first complaint I have received of this nature.

Thank you for taking the time to contact MG Motor UK ltd, and I trust that the above will confirm our position regarding this matter.

Yours sincerely

So regardless of how many people say they have the same problem it appears that I am the only person to have reported it? Does anyone know differently?

I hadn't mainly as it was a PITA last spring but was rarely driving it late enough to be in the dusk period during the summer.
Although given your dealer in Donald of Peterborough. I am in Somersham near S Ives so could be the comparable car. I got mine from a dealer in Bath I had emailed them but its not really worth that journey to take it back.
If you dm me the email of the person at MG uk ill email them to coberate your issue on my car.
AK

I hadn't mainly as it was a PITA last spring but was rarely driving it late enough to be in the dusk period during the summer.
Although given your dealer in Donald of Peterborough. I am in Somersham near S Ives so could be the comparable car. I got mine from a dealer in Bath I had emailed them but its not really worth that journey to take it back.
If you dm me the email of the person at MG uk ill email them to coberate your issue on my car.
AK
DM sent 👍

I have asked my dealer about adjusting the sensitivity. They had no idea and have so far not managed to get anything from MG. The car is mostly great but the manufacturer support is almost non existent which is a shame.

I have again Written to MGUK thus…..
Since your last email my car has been back to my MG dealership and the light sensor was replaced. This has had no effect with what I see as a problem namely when I drive through different light situations ie through a tree lined road the lights flash at oncoming traffic. I have again informed Donalds in Peterborough who inform me that they have consulted MGUK of my ongoing concerns and were told that the lights turning on and off rapidly when going along a tree lined road was in fact normal. I don’t believe it’s normal as no other car I have ever owned flashes on and off and in fact I believe it’s an offence under the Road Traffic Act.

I would refer you to the MG EV Community online forum and the MG5 EV forum on Facebook where many owners of 2022 MG5’s have had the same problem. If you are saying that this anomaly is normal then I will have to report it to DVSA and request an investigation.

Please could you pass this email and my previous emails to someone in authority at MGUK because I feel that this problem is not being addressed correctly.

I received the following reply this morning….

Thank you for your further correspondence, however, I can only refer you to my previous reply.

It is important to take the vehicle technician at the dealership on a test drive so that you can demonstrate what may be happening. Similarly, you should then take another car, of the same model and specification out with the same technician so that you can see whether the two cars are comparable.

If both cars operate in the same manner, then we can eliminate or confirm whether further investigation is required.

Unfortunately, MG Motor UK Ltd are not going to interact or recognise comments on social media and can only refer to actual cases referred to a dealership.

The MG5 has been on the market for more than 2 years now, and auto lights have been present on MG vehicles since 2014. I can state that this is the first complaint I have received of this nature.

Thank you for taking the time to contact MG Motor UK ltd, and I trust that the above will confirm our position regarding this matter.

Yours sincerely

So regardless of how many people say they have the same problem it appears that I am the only person to have reported it? Does anyone know differently?
my car a 20 plate zs ev has a similiar issue, not flashing while stationary but flashing off whilst driving, i had to switch to manual as lights did not come back on automatically. So frustrating. as dealership doesnt want to believe me

My friend who has a ice BMW and auto lights has said he had had a lot off issues like what people are saying here I have a 22 mg5 I have no problems with my lights on auto and I liked what my friend has said he leaves it on auto and not worry about it and he has had his BMW a long time I think because it is new to a lot of people then we worry is it doing this it doing that and if you think back to your new ice car and worried about that and then this but after a while you stop worrying so maybe stop worrying now just a thought

Managed to catch my Mg5 in the act of flashing today. Flashed the car Infront a couple time when driving home in the shade of some buildings. Manged to get back and parked in time to video the offence.

Think it shows the issues:

Flashing the car in front or oncoming vehicles
Apparently brake checking the car behind
The distraction of the dash and media screen flashing to night mode.

Last edited:
Managed to catch my Mg5 in the act of flashing today. Flashed the car Infront a couple time when driving home in the shade of some buildings. Manged to get back and parked in time to video the offence.

Think it shows the issues:

Flashing the car in front or oncoming vehicles
Apparently brake checking the car behind
The distraction of the dash and media screen flashing to night mode.

Your headlights look very bright, are they LEDs ?
If so, could that have something to do with it ?
Has anyone else who has this flashing got standard halogen bulbs or LEDs ?

Car is completely standard on the oem bulbs it came from the factory on. The original thread poster Mike also has video this fault. Ours cars were supplied within a couple of weeks apart last spring. Seems to be 2022 cars affected.

Your headlights look very bright, are they LEDs ?
If so, could that have something to do with it ?
Has anyone else who has this flashing got standard halogen bulbs or LEDs ?
The brightness you are seeing is from the DRLs.

I have the opposite problem, in that they are on 90% of the time... bright sunshine doesn't switch them off.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom