Auto headlight flashing

The DRL's are off when the headlights are on.

Also, got a reply from MG UK this AM,

Thank you for contacting MG Motor UK Ltd. and I am sorry to learn that this matter is ongoing.
Now that your dealer have witnessed this, they now need to speak with the technical team of MG Motor UK Ltd. in order to discuss whether there is a fault that needs addressing, or whether this is activating in line with other models.
Either way it is the technicians at the dealer who will need to manage this for you.
If I’m honest, the video provided certainly did not seem normal, and your video will now give them something to work on.
I did show our technician here who concurred and advised last week that he will look out for the technical case from your dealer.

Shouldn't the DRLs be off when the headlights are on ?
Yes but you aren't seeing the headlights fully on in the video, just a flicker lasting milliseconds. The bright light you are seeing is the DRL.

my car a 20 plate zs ev has a similiar issue, not flashing while stationary but flashing off whilst driving, i had to switch to manual as lights did not come back on automatically. So frustrating. as dealership doesnt want to believe me
been back to dealership, they have now changed the light stalk, previously changed the headlights and sensor, both times they have knocked my cruise control out. picked car up friday, lo and behold cruise control has been knocked out and immediate service light and low tyre warning light on les than 10 yards from garage. took back but service team gone home for weekend. i will go back monday weather allowing.

My cruise control and all the safety features were also trashed and on top of that the camera broke as a result of the software update. I have now been back and forth to my MG dealer ( 8 times) who have stated that there is nothing else they can do without guidance from MGUK. I an on the verge of rejecting the vehicle. MGUK still maintain that I am the only one who has reported this issue?

since having lighting stalk changed , the issue with auto lights going out has ceased, hoping it is long term as only tried it out around six times after dark. Cruise control came back after having car serviced. Even though the garage told me that the regular service guy cant do it as he is not trained on the mg equipment.

My cruise control and all the safety features were also trashed and on top of that the camera broke as a result of the software update. I have now been back and forth to my MG dealer ( 8 times) who have stated that there is nothing else they can do without guidance from MGUK. I an on the verge of rejecting the vehicle. MGUK still maintain that I am the only one who has reported this issue?
MGUK are lying then I have the email correspondence from when I reported it to them. It also been raised with Bath MG who supplied the car, and to Donalds Peterborough who were the most helpful. But as you say they can't do anything unless MG act.

@M1kee @akendall1966 Bit late to this party but thought I'd throw my tuppence worth in to the mix.
I've been working/running software support teams for the last 10 years (albeit in the aviation industry) and after watching both videos several times I'm convinced it's a software issue. The support tech in me wasn't watching the lights flashing but what was in the rest of the video frame.

@M1kee in the reflection on the windscreen I saw clouds moving overhead and thought maybe an overly sensitive sensor - However, around the 2:45 mark you change position and show a lovely clear sky in the top of frame and the lights are still flashing.

@akendall1966 your video was evidently shot late afternoon/evening in November, now the ambient lighting isn't playing a part and overhead clouds wouldn't be a factor.

Taking this into consideration I'm very confident in saying this is a software fault (environmental changes between the two videos showing the same effect rule out defective hardware). It would be really interesting to see if the software/firmware versions are the same for your vehicles. I don't know if there is a way to see this, I don't get my Trophy LR (in Red because why would you) until next week.
It would be fascinating to see if your are both on the same major version of software (or within the same sub-version) as you both have 22 reg plates.

@M1kee @akendall1966 Bit late to this party but thought I'd throw my tuppence worth in to the mix.
I've been working/running software support teams for the last 10 years (albeit in the aviation industry) and after watching both videos several times I'm convinced it's a software issue. The support tech in me wasn't watching the lights flashing but what was in the rest of the video frame.

@M1kee in the reflection on the windscreen I saw clouds moving overhead and thought maybe an overly sensitive sensor - However, around the 2:45 mark you change position and show a lovely clear sky in the top of frame and the lights are still flashing.

@akendall1966 your video was evidently shot late afternoon/evening in November, now the ambient lighting isn't playing a part and overhead clouds wouldn't be a factor.

Taking this into consideration I'm very confident in saying this is a software fault (environmental changes between the two videos showing the same effect rule out defective hardware). It would be really interesting to see if the software/firmware versions are the same for your vehicles. I don't know if there is a way to see this, I don't get my Trophy LR (in Red because why would you) until next week.
It would be fascinating to see if your are both on the same major version of software (or within the same sub-version) as you both have 22 reg plates.
Maybe late to the party but I see you have been information gathering (a nicer term than lurking don't you think :) ) for quite a while. Welcome, and enjoy your new car next week, I'm sure you will.

Maybe late to the party but I see you have been information gathering (a nicer term than lurking don't you think :) ) for quite a while. Welcome, and enjoy your new car next week, I'm sure you will.
Thank you, was supposed to have a Pre-Facelift 2022 LR but the lead-time meant I might as well wait for the extra month to get the facelift version.
But yes, information gathering, definitely not lurking ;)

I have a brand new 22 plate mg5 long range. A couple of times when Ive used the car at dusk the headlights can’t make up their mind whether to turn on or not and switch on and off. This annoys the hell out of oncoming traffic which thinks I’m flashing them. I have to put the lights on manually to stop it. A couple of threads on this forum have had similar problems in the past but to my knowledge there was no fix. Anyone have any ideas? Headlights work perfectly when fully dark.
I have always found auto lights iffy whenever I've had a car with that option - always manual switching for me. That's what I'm there for - and I can usually switch faster than the auto function anyway!

I have always found auto lights iffy whenever I've had a car with that option - always manual switching for me. That's what I'm there for - and I can usually switch faster than the auto function anyway!
i had same problem with my 20 plate mgzs, finally fixed it (i hope) as only driven it a around half a dozen times in dark since they changed the light stick. it hasnt happened since, but before that the garage changed the headlights, the sensor and now the control stick for the lights.

Picked up the new car a week early (lucky old me), so I've only driven about 40 miles so far, but I can report that with the Trophy LR the auto headlights haven't (so far and keeping various digits crossed) started flashing randomly. I'll keep an eye on it and update if that changes.

Picked up the new car a week early (lucky old me), so I've only driven about 40 miles so far, but I can report that with the Trophy LR the auto headlights haven't (so far and keeping various digits crossed) started flashing randomly. I'll keep an eye on it and update if that changes.
Same for me. The lights are lovely and bright. :)

I think its important to reiterate the light don't randomly flash. When its daylight they are off and stay off. When its dark they come on and stay on continuously. However and only seen to my knowledge seen on pre face-lift cars delivered in 2022. At dusk or other times when the level of light is at the point the car is designed to turn the lights on. They can turn on off repeatedly with small changes in the light level. From an engineering perspective there is no hysteresis in the control system. A well designed system would different turn on and turn off points, so once they come on it would need to get significantly lighter before turning off and get significantly darker again before turning on again. You won't experience the issue unless the light levels are at the setpoint to turn on or off.

Mine was delivered yesterday, drove 230 miles today and noticed the main beam flashing occasionally on the way home.

Mine was delivered yesterday, drove 230 miles today and noticed the main beam flashing occasionally on the way home.
Mine has been back to my dealership 10 times to try and fix this problem, however they do not have a clue how to fix it. Consequently I have had enough and have sold the car. MGUK have not offered any kind of compensation or help other than to keep telling me to take it to the dealership. It became a war of attrition and unfortunately MGUK won. The MG UK 7 year warranty is pants and not worth the paper it’s written on. I will not be buying another MG vehicle, ever again.

Mine has been back to my dealership 10 times to try and fix this problem, however they do not have a clue how to fix it. Consequently I have had enough and have sold the car. MGUK have not offered any kind of compensation or help other than to keep telling me to take it to the dealership. It became a war of attrition and unfortunately MGUK won. The MG UK 7 year warranty is pants and not worth the paper it’s written on. I will not be buying another MG vehicle, ever again.
That's a shame, but good luck in whatever you move onto.

I'm not altogether sure how that makes the 7 year warranty pants as they did say to take it to the dealers. Inability or slowness to find a solution is one thing but to trash the whole warranty because of it is a little extreme.

Part of my pre-driving checks on my MG4 is to select auto headlights on (ie do nothing) or off if daylight. If I am driving into dusk, when I would normally turn headlights on, I just flick them to auto. So far I haven't had them go out or flash after doing this. I once selected them on manually rather than auto, but then found out they then stay on even after the car shuts down. (I didn't realise this for some time as I usually get inside before the headlights turn off.) Fortunately a neighbour knocked on the door and told me.

I turned the auto high beam off on my Pre facelift 5 as they had a habit of turning on when joining a dual carriageway and various other times when it was undesirable

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom