Auto highbeam/lights - how do I...?

bear1

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Car had its recall update last Monday. I now can't keep the auto high beam off and have the lights turn themselves off when I get out of the car. Which results in me leaving the lights on a lot!
Is it possible? And if so, which menu option/combination of buttons do I need to press?

Auto-lights (which include auto-high-beam) can be toggled off/on using the switch on the left (indicator) stalk. Slide it right to turn off (it'll spring back); slide it right again to turn on. Each time you should get a notification at the top of the driver display.

Car had its recall update last Monday. I now can't keep the auto high beam off and have the lights turn themselves off when I get out of the car. Which results in me leaving the lights on a lot!
Is it possible? And if so, which menu option/combination of buttons do I need to press?
You can disable Auto High Beam in the infotainment screen on vehicle settings, lighting there is a toggle off button- but not sure if it resets when you start next time.

Quick update- it does not reset to Auto High Beam once toggled off
I'll have to try this again on mine as my auto high beam came on this morning and decided to stay on blinding all the cars until I turn auto lights off entirely as fiddling in infotainment whilst driving is not ideal..

I tried this setting previously though and next time I got back into the car the auto high beam was back on again.. I hope it stays off! Does this work for everyone else on R46?

EDIT: not used to 2024 yet.. just realised this thread was from Jan23 not Jan24, sorry to resurrect an old thread, but least saves starting a new one on same subject.

Even when the auto lights are engaged you can use the light stalk to overide high beam, just as you would for manual operation.

I'll have to try this again on mine as my auto high beam came on this morning and decided to stay on blinding all the cars until I turn auto lights off entirely as fiddling in infotainment whilst driving is not ideal..

I tried this setting previously though and next time I got back into the car the auto high beam was back on again.. I hope it stays off! Does this work for everyone else on R46?

EDIT: not used to 2024 yet.. just realised this thread was from Jan23 not Jan24, sorry to resurrect an old thread, but least saves starting a new one on same subject.
If I remember correctly from reading the MG4 manual, you can use the stalk in a pattern to turn on and off auto high beam function.

Sounds like you've accidentally pushed the stalk forward. 😉

I found the auto high beam to be unusable, it just constantly turns high beam on/off for no good reason. It's like LKA - the sensitivity settings are just out of whack. I loved the auto high beam on my previous car, it was awesome but this one not so much. So just put it back to old-school manual control. Fortunately I have little need for much night driving.

I found the auto high beam to be unusable, it just constantly turns high beam on/off for no good reason. It's like LKA - the sensitivity settings are just out of whack. I loved the auto high beam on my previous car, it was awesome but this one not so much. So just put it back to old-school manual control. Fortunately I have little need for much night driving.
Yeah, it's terrible and actively dangerous on winding country roads. It doesn't seem to be sensitive enough. I've had it stay on when I've been driving through a village under LED streetlights!

The only other auto high beam I've had was on a courtesy car I had for about two weeks, and the MG4 one is better than that. I did try using it and it's not bad in some circumstances, but like YaR said, it constantly turns itself off on windy country roads when there isn't another car anywhere near. I think it's seeing its own reflection in the big signs indicating the bends and thinks this is another car coming.

I just operate the stalk myself and after a minute or two it gives up trying to do it itself.

Even when the auto lights are engaged you can use the light stalk to overide high beam, just as you would for manual operation.
I seems to have alot of trouble with this for some reason. As when auto high beam kicks in the lever isn't pushed forward, so how do you cancel full beam manually?

I ended up having to turn off auto lights entirely with the little slider on the lever but if I could just cancel high beam only and keep auto lights activated that would be a fine compromise.

It seems to me that the lever works as a flick-switch both ways. I prefer to push it away from me to switch between dipped and high beam and back. I make sure to put my hand on the part of the stalk between the switches for the different lighting modes and the steering wheel column, as I have accidentally switched my lights off entirely when I hit the wrong part a few times. I've got into the habit of simply doing that when I don't like what the auto high beam has done, which is most of the time, and after a short while auto realises where it's not wanted and goes away.

I think it works just the same way if you pull the stalk towards you. Might be better if it gives less chance of switching the lights off entirely, but due to the size of my hands it's a bit of a stretch to have to keep reaching for the stalk and pulling it.

It seems to me that the lever works as a flick-switch both ways. I prefer to push it away from me to switch between dipped and high beam and back. I make sure to put my hand on the part of the stalk between the switches for the different lighting modes and the steering wheel column, as I have accidentally switched my lights off entirely when I hit the wrong part a few times. I've got into the habit of simply doing that when I don't like what the auto high beam has done, which is most of the time, and after a short while auto realises where it's not wanted and goes away.

I think it works just the same way if you pull the stalk towards you. Might be better if it gives less chance of switching the lights off entirely, but due to the size of my hands it's a bit of a stretch to have to keep reaching for the stalk and pulling it.
Thanks, I'll give that a go when it next happens.

Also, Can anyone confirm if the setting for disabling auto-high beam assist stays off for anybody else on R46? I presume its like LKA and keeps going to default settings (as when I tried it once it was on again next journey.)

I'm not sure about this. I thought I asked the dealer to turn it off when I got the car, but when I started to use it in darkness it was on. I never really investigated further because it turns itself off if you simply use the manual control a few times.

Page 54 in the MG4 manual states:

If the following conditions are met, the vehicle will
automatically exit the automatic high beam system. If the
system is disabled, pushing the main beam ON switch
twice quickly towards the instrument panel can enable the
automatic high beam system again. The function can be
disabled for three times only in a starting cycle, otherwise
it cannot be enabled again in the current starting cycle:
• When the automatic high beam system is enabled and
the dipped beam lights are automatically turned on and
the lighting system is manually switched to the main
beam lights.
• When the automatic high beam system is enabled and
the main beam lights are automatically turned on and
the lighting system is manually switched to the dipped
beam lights.
• When the automatic high beam system is enabled, the
main beams are automatically turned on and the main
beam flash switch is operated.

Not really sure what it means.

Thanks, I'll give that a go when it next happens.

Also, Can anyone confirm if the setting for disabling auto-high beam assist stays off for anybody else on R46? I presume its like LKA and keeps going to default settings (as when I tried it once it was on again next journey.)
Auto-high beam setting stays off for me (I have R33), it seems to be one of those that properly persists.

Page 54 in the MG4 manual states:
.... If the system is disabled, pushing the main beam ON switch
twice quickly towards the instrument panel can enable the
automatic high beam system again......

Thanks .... the above is what I wanted to know 👍.... now to see if it works !!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back