• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Auto lights always coming on ? Hillbilly hack.

Macadoodle

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
One of the constant annoyances ( of many ) I find with the 4 is the stupidly keen to come on auto lights.
Only in blazing direct sunshine do they seem to stay off.

While waiting for a possible update to cure this sensitivity I discovered a pretty simple solution in the meantime.
The light sensor is in the middle of the dash under a little cover, use a plastic trim tool to gently pop it off and you'll see the actual sensor underneath.
Tried disconnecting it ( it just pulls out ) but as expected, the lights just turned on all the time then.

The cover is light permeable but dash coloured of course, so it clearly blocks a lot of the available light.

Went on a 25 mile journey with the cover removed and the lights did not come on at all :love:

Usually I would be constantly turning off the lights passing under bridges, overhanging trees, fat people blocking the sun, you name it.

It's not particularly pretty, sure, but you cant really see it from the drivers seat. If there's no update to cure this tendency, I think I'll cut a square section from the cover and glue a small piece of Perspex from the back side to let the light through.

sensor.jpg

Last edited:
One of the constant annoyances ( of many ) I find with the 4 is the stupidly keen to come on auto lights.

While waiting for a possible update to cure this sensitivity I discovered a pretty simple solution in the meantime.
The light sensor is in the middle of the dash under a little cover, use a plastic trim tool to gently pop it off and you'll see the actual sensor underneath.
Tried disconnecting it ( it just pulls out ) but as expected, the lights just turned on all the time then.

The cover is light permeable but dash coloured of course, so it clearly blocks a lot of the available light.

Went on a 25 mile journey with the cover removed and the lights did not come on at all :love:

Usually I would be constantly turning off the lights passing under bridges, overhanging trees, fat people blocking the sun, you name it.

It's not particularly pretty, sure, but you cant really see it from the drivers seat. If there's no update to cure this tendency, I think I'll cut a square section from the cover and glue a small piece of Perspex from the back side to let the light through.

View attachment 15742
I’ve noticed the same with the auto light, literally always on unless like you said you are in direct blazing sun light. I’m sure it they could software fix when the lights trigger, but I liked your temp fix.

I’ve noticed the same with the auto light, literally always on unless like you said you are in direct blazing sun light. I’m sure it they could software fix when the lights trigger, but I liked your temp fix.
Cheers. Definitely worth doing if it annoys you like it annoys me ;) I really prefer to be in manual control of things like lights being a grumpy middle aged sort who misses cars from the 70's and 80's. Auto lights are kind of ok if they just switch on at dusk, when you want them to.
On my last car they were an option you could choose, rather than a default. I bloody hate 'progress' sometimes :mad:

It is annoying to have the middle screen seemingly always on the ‘night’ mode.
It’s become a bit of a surprise when it goes to the daylight grey mode.
I’m sure sensitivity will be a line of code the dealer can access, don’t see why it wouldn’t.
In the Leaf you could adjust the auto lights to come on ‘earlier’ or ‘later’ yourself.

It is annoying to have the middle screen seemingly always on the ‘night’ mode.
It’s become a bit of a surprise when it goes to the daylight grey mode.
I’m sure sensitivity will be a line of code the dealer can access, don’t see why it wouldn’t.
In the Leaf you could adjust the auto lights to come on ‘earlier’ or ‘later’ yourself.
It's these small details that can really wind you up, seems to be a feature of so many Chinese designed products I'm afraid, they're often basically ok for the price but lack finish.

Well, I was out early this morn, auto lights came on in the low light and went off as soon as the day broke properly, stayed off. Seems to work perfectly with the grey cover off.

It's like they 'tuned' the response of the system with the sensor bare, then stuck the cover over it and made it utterly hopeless and called it job done. :confused:

I think they tuned the sensor based on the ambient conditions in Shanghai in summer, where it is very bright. (I've made a similar comment previously, months ago). :)

Quite possibly. But did they not think to ask themselves how this might work out in the Inverness area ????

Bloody cheek of some people :poop:

Ended up drilling an 8mm hole in the cover to let the sunshine in ☀️ Knew I'd lose it, break it or the dog would eat it if it didn't go back on the dash.

Pleased to say the small hole seems to do the job just fine, the lights come on just about when you would consider turning them on manually, and switch off likewise.
So glad I tried this simple tweak, a source of irritation has now become a genuinely useful and predictable safety feature.

If you own your car or plan on keeping it, would recommend it. Drill the hole bang in the middle of the cover on the left / right axis, but around 10% rear of centre on the front / back axis as the light sensor is set slightly back.
I'm going to glue a little disc of thin Perspex to the underside to keep the dust out.

Ended up drilling an 8mm hole in the cover to let the sunshine in ☀️ Knew I'd lose it, break it or the dog would eat it if it didn't go back on the dash.

Pleased to say the small hole seems to do the job just fine, the lights come on just about when you would consider turning them on manually, and switch off likewise.
So glad I tried this simple tweak, a source of irritation has now become a genuinely useful and predictable safety feature.

If you own your car or plan on keeping it, would recommend it. Drill the hole bang in the middle of the cover on the left / right axis, but around 10% rear of centre on the front / back axis as the light sensor is set slightly back.
I'm going to glue a little disc of thin Perspex to the underside to keep the dust out.

Good work sir

View attachment 15742
Think I'll be copying this. Thanks.,👍

You’ll get a circular bit of perspex for a couple of pounds on eBay that would probably press fit into that hole you’ve made…

Item number 282225172663 is just one example, you can request a particular size.

Anyone fancy 3d printing clear replacement covers for the light sensor housing? :)

Although a square of clear, sticky-back plastic may do the job of covering the sensor to protect it from dust/water ingress. :)
I had the same thought, is anybody prepared to produce a clear housing cover,from a 3d printer machine, at a good price please

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 423 79.8%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 70 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 37 7.0%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back