Balancing charge for MG5 SR

I have granny cable and type 2 left permanently in the boot for when I need it. Having a tethered means I just pop it off the wall and into my car. Why anyone would want to faff about getting it out in the rain and cold plugging it in and packing it away when it's all wet etc is beyond me.

I have granny cable and type 2 left permanently in the boot for when I need it. Having a tethered means I just pop it off the wall and into my car. Why anyone would want to faff about getting it out in the rain and cold plugging it in and packing it away when it's all wet etc is beyond me.
You mean like when you use a 7kw charger at a shopping centre etc?

I do agree it's a PITA when you get back to your car. it's rained and the cable is wet and has debris on.
But if it's free electric then what do i care:cool:

Yup. Tethered home charger cable.means much less faffing, plus a type 2 cable in the frunk for charging on the freebie 7kW chargers at Tesco's and the like, all backed up by the granny charger, a 3 or 4m home made extension if the cable needs to go thru a letterbox, e.g. at my son's house (I used some bleeding heavy gauge mains cable from industrial line printers - big buggers), plus a short adapter lead consisting of a 16A blue industrial 240V plug and a standard 13A trailing socket, for use on the odd campsite if there is a decent 240V pitch outlet that's 16Amp and not limited to 6Amps. I also fabricate a rain shield from plastic milk bottles if the need arises.

So how do you tell that balancing is finished on ab MG5? You look at message on screen... If it says 100% finished, it's still balancing. When it says 100% connected,, not charging that's when it's finished balancing.
Thanks for the tip AlanB!

So how do you tell that balancing is finished on ab MG5? You look at message on screen... If it says 100% finished, it's still balancing. When it says 100% connected,, not charging that's when it's finished balancing.
So basically, when it says 100% finished it means it's not 100% finished :LOL:

So basically, when it says 100% finished it means it's not 100% finished :LOL:
Yeh that’s correct, it’s as AlanB as written in #27 above finished charging but now balancing then after thats done it says connected not charging.
Would have been better if it had been programmed to say charge and balance now complete disconnect but it is what it is and is not a problem once you know about it.
Les

Last edited:
Or if you have a smart meter monitor check whether the kW being used has dropped back down to your normal household usage load level.

Doesn't the display say something weird like "100% Connected Uncharging" instead of "100% Connected Not Charging"
Good old Chinglish.

Doesn't the display say something weird like "100% Connected Uncharging" instead of "100% Connected Not Charging"
Good old Chinglish.
'Connected,uncharged!'; which, ironically, is objectively untrue.

As a new owner of a used MG5 SR, I have you to thank for knowing how to tell I had completed the equalisation charge.
I can confirm, at 'SOC:100%' it said 'Finished!'
Some time later still at 'SOC:100%', it said: 'Connected, uncharged!'
How very bizarre!

As a new owner of a used MG5 SR, I have you to thank for knowing how to tell I had completed the equalisation charge.
I can confirm, at 'SOC:100%' it said 'Finished!'
Some time later still at 'SOC:100%', it said: 'Connected, uncharged!'
How very bizarre!
It is strange how they word it, roughly how long did the balance take and was the on a 7kW EVSE or the granny 2.2kW unit?

It is strange how they word it, roughly how long did the balance take and was the on a 7kW EVSE or the granny 2.2kW unit?
Did a quick Google translate, English to simplified Chinese of 'not charging', then reversed the translation and it came back as 'no charge'
Not too far away from simply being a translation blib, no charge - uncharged ?

The balance charge was a using a granny cable. An evconnectors.com Type 2 | 16A CEE Blue Mobile Charging Cable | 5 Metre, With UK 13A adaptor and 5m extension.
This offers 6; 8;10;13 & 16A charge rates. Because I don't have a certified socket, (I am awaiting an Ohme wall charger) the car was charged at a nominal 8A. After full charge my clamp-on ammeter (measuring house supply, so there were other loads, dropped to ~1.4A and then falling to ~0.4A after equalisation.
----------
I don't know exactly when equalisation started or finished. The time between my check when finding equalisation had begun (Finished!) and ended (Connected uncharged!) was 3h 16m.
I hope this helps

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom