Battery balance on public charger

MundaneMatt

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi everyone,

Looking at getting a ZS EV within the next few weeks, coming from an ICE car so it will be my first EV.

I've read a fair bit about battery balancing/equalisation charging on these forums and in the handbook.

I don't have a drive, so can't get a home charger; so will be relying on public charging alone. Will I still be able to do the required equalisation charges using the public charging network?

Thanks, in advance. Also, if this has already been asked/answered I apologise.

Hi everyone,

Looking at getting a ZS EV within the next few weeks, coming from an ICE car so it will be my first EV.

I've read a fair bit about battery balancing/equalisation charging on these forums and in the handbook.

I don't have a drive, so can't get a home charger; so will be relying on public charging alone. Will I still be able to do the required equalisation charges using the public charging network?

It's recommended to slow charge the car once a month, you can use the granny charger that comes with the car and a 220v/240v outlet.

Hi everyone,

Easy on public chargers. Find a slow one and leave overnight

Hi everyone,

Owners manual says,
"
To carry out an equalisation slow charge it is recommended
that the charger output does not exceed 7kW.
"
There are several public chargers with 7kW and below output.

I usually use rapid chargers most of the time. My shifts are usually unsociable hours, so rapids it has to be. Getting a home charger is still a way aways for me yet.

But there's usually at least 1 shift a month I can use a train for commuting, so that's when it'll get bunged on a 7kW charger, and left.

Thanks for all the advice guys, really appreciate it. I feel a lot more certain about signing the papers for the ZS EV now.

You can balance the cells on a 7kw destination post. I have never used or needed to use the granny charger and no intention of ever using the one supplied despite being on my 4th BEV/plug in hybrid

Are you able to park close to your property? You could have a charger installed but would not get the government grant so would have to pay full installation cost. You could the run your cable across the pavement to your car and leave it overnight to charge. There are no laws preventing you from running a cable over a pavement and you could cover it with a high viz cable cover to warn of a trip hazard. This is the route that I am going to take, hope this helps.

Are you able to park close to your property? You could have a charger installed but would not get the government grant so would have to pay full installation cost. You could the run your cable across the pavement to your car and leave it overnight to charge. There are no laws preventing you from running a cable over a pavement and you could cover it with a high viz cable cover to warn of a trip hazard. This is the route that I am going to take, hope this helps.
Well good luck with that! There might not be any specific law against it - but if someone is injured as a proven direct consequence of your action (trip etc) then you would be personally liable. Also, if you undertook such an action whilst working then you have a personal liability - so there’s no escaping. I was a field engineer once and the personal liability aspects were driven home to me on more than one occasion. Personally I wouldn’t do it - just my view of course.

There may be no British law against laying a cable across the pavement, but there may very well be local bylaws which prevent you doing so.

There may be no British law against laying a cable across the pavement, but there may very well be local bylaws which prevent you doing so.
There are many laws and bylaws that seem to be ignored ... :cool:

There are many laws and bylaws that seem to be ignored ... :cool:
Until some local jobsworth spots a breach and reports it :LOL:
andy richter GIF by Team Coco

Well good luck with that! There might not be any specific law against it - but if someone is injured as a proven direct consequence of your action (trip etc) then you would be personally liable. Also, if you undertook such an action whilst working then you have a personal liability - so there’s no escaping. I was a field engineer once and the personal liability aspects were driven home to me on more than one occasion. Personally I wouldn’t do it - just my view of course.
I understand what you are saying but having done a lot of research before purchasing my vehicle it is what I will be doing. There are several articles by personal Injury lawyers stating provided you as the user have taken all reasonable steps to make your charging lead clear and obvious then the onus for safety passes back to the person tripping over it. I am a fully qualified risk assessor and know the law states that all people are responsible for their own and others safety.

I understand what you are saying but having done a lot of research before purchasing my vehicle it is what I will be doing. There are several articles by personal Injury lawyers stating provided you as the user have taken all reasonable steps to make your charging lead clear and obvious then the onus for safety passes back to the person tripping over it. I am a fully qualified risk assessor and know the law states that all people are responsible for their own and others safety.
What if it's a blind person?

Blind people already are extra aware of trip hazards due to their condition. Many work in offices where wires cross floors on the surface and are covered with cable covers. I in fact had to undertake a risk assessment for this exact scenario. First I assessed the risk, identified the problem and then wrote a report as to how to reduce that risk which was inclusive of all people working in that area able bodied and those with disabilities.

Different matter in a controlled environment such as an office.

I appreciate you are an expert on this and bow to that but I'm afraid I would be reporting it if it was anywhere near where I lived.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom