Battery health setting will not change

Terry Mac

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
I have an MG4 standard range with LFP battery and when I charge overnight from my Zappi charger it always stops at 80 percent. Not a problem for most of my trips but occasionally I want a 100 percent charge but when I try to change the battery health setting on the car it seems to be fixed at 80, is this standard for all standard range MG4?
It will charge more than 80 percent but I have to do this manually and as I'm normally asleep in the cheep rate time, I end up paying the day rate.

I have an MG4 standard range with LFP battery and when I charge overnight from my Zappi charger it always stops at 80 percent. Not a problem for most of my trips but occasionally I want a 100 percent charge but when I try to change the battery health setting on the car it seems to be fixed at 80, is this standard for all standard range MG4?
It will charge more than 80 percent but I have to do this manually and as I'm normally asleep in the cheep rate time, I end up paying the day rate.
The standard for LFP is 100%, and can't be changed as I understand so sounds like a fault you need your dealership to investigate. Out of interest have you looked in the app, the shouldn't have the battery health option on the SR, just wondering if checking/reviewing in the app would reset it to 100%.

Mine did that, it can be changed but I can't recall what I did? It was 3 months ago. If you have the app working will that do it?

An earlier version of the app had the option, to change this, for the SR, I assume that is what you saw. This is why I think opening and checking charging options in the app could be worth a try. My logic being an old version of the app was used to set it to 80%, opening the new app and reviewing it would set the new default of 100%.

Last edited:
The standard for LFP is 100%, and can't be changed as I understand so sounds like a fault you need your dealership to investigate. Out of interest have you looked in the app, the shouldn't have the battery health option on the SR, just wondering if checking/reviewing in the app would reset it to 100%.
It is the same in the app

This is interesting as i have a similar but counter issue. Ive had my Trophy for a few weeks and link it to a Hypervolt charger at home . It's scheduled to the overnight rate and charges between 1am and 6am . Up to now ive been doing longish journeys so ive had it set to 100%. Everything worked well and the Hypervolt schedule has charged the car to 100%. The hypervolt app does not have a partial charge option that i can find. Unlike TerrMac my slider is working and ive reset the max charge to 80% on the MG app but the car doesn't stop charging at 80% but continues up to 100% every time. i wonder if this is the same problem in reverse?

On the SE SR there shouldn't be a slider under the battery image in the iSMART app. (There isn't in my app). Likewise there's no slider on the Charge screen in my car either.

Just had a chat with the very helpful people at Hypervolt customer support and they believe that my problem and probably TerryMac's lies with the MG App charge management. Ive done a reset of the app charging level and reset the schedule and I'll see if that helps. However i would suggest the TerryMac resets what he can in the MG App and see if that reinstates the % slider option.

On the SE SR there shouldn't be a slider under the battery image in the iSMART app. (There isn't in my app). Likewise there's no slider on the Charge screen in my car either.
ive got sliders on both i can't see any sense in having this on trophy and LR only

ive got sliders on both i can't see any sense in having this on trophy and LR only
Because it's generally recommended to charge to 100% anyway on the SR, as the LFP battery pack needs the BMS regularly balanced whereas the NMC in the LR versions only needs it once a month. :)

This is interesting as i have a similar but counter issue. Ive had my Trophy for a few weeks and link it to a Hypervolt charger at home . It's scheduled to the overnight rate and charges between 1am and 6am . Up to now ive been doing longish journeys so ive had it set to 100%. Everything worked well and the Hypervolt schedule has charged the car to 100%. The hypervolt app does not have a partial charge option that i can find. Unlike TerrMac my slider is working and ive reset the max charge to 80% on the MG app but the car doesn't stop charging at 80% but continues up to 100% every time. i wonder if this is the same problem in reverse?
Hi Splodgie, did you get this issue resolved? I'm having the same problem on my SE (Excite here in Ireland) Long Range - it won't stop charging at 80%, always goes to 100% unless I stop it manually. I use a different charger than you but have noticed in the car system that no matter what I slide the percentage to, it tells me it will finish at the same time with the same (full) range. i.e. 100% will finish at 6:48 with 273 miles range, 50% will finish at 6:48 with 273 miles range!

Hi Splodgie, did you get this issue resolved? I'm having the same problem on my SE (Excite here in Ireland) Long Range - it won't stop charging at 80%, always goes to 100% unless I stop it manually. I use a different charger than you but have noticed in the car system that no matter what I slide the percentage to, it tells me it will finish at the same time with the same (full) range. i.e. 100% will finish at 6:48 with 273 miles range, 50% will finish at 6:48 with 273 miles range!
If you reload the car status one or two times in the app it usualy updates the charge stop time in the app.

You have to engage the charging planner in the car or in the app. The car (LT/Trophy) does not stop charging at a set % when the charge planner is not activated. At least mine Luxury does not.

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel