Battery Management software update

I picked my car up on 30th November 2020 and was told it had had all the updates, I can charge with door unlocked and looking at the car this morning after being on charge all night it’s showing 444v so in need of the new BMS update.
I‘ll hold off for the moment though as it’s not likely I’ll be going that far for the forseeable due to lockdown. 100 miles is ample for my local pottering around at the moment.
great that MG have jumped on this quickly and have an update in the offing.

Then you will also have reduced range and other potential BMS issues too, but a new release to correct the problem will be out soon.
For a company that is one of the largest battery producers in the world they seem ro be stabbing in the dark.

Yes you did, good news is the fix will be out soon and so contact your local dealer to get it booked in.
Got my car october 2020 ,not sure what updates it has ,but the range seems ok .do they do all updates as part of a service or do you have to request them

I picked my car up on 30th November 2020 and was told it had had all the updates, I can charge with door unlocked and looking at the car this morning after being on charge all night it’s showing 444v so in need of the new BMS update.
I‘ll hold off for the moment though as it’s not likely I’ll be going that far for the forseeable due to lockdown. 100 miles is ample for my local pottering around at the moment.
great that MG have jumped on this quickly and have an update in the offing.
Same situation (447v), we'll see how Luscombe's deal with this for us.

Just checked on my battery voltage. 90% charged yesterday. Temperature 0 at present. Voltage reads 429 volts. Any ideas if that sounds right?
The only figures I've seen posted here and on facebook are ~455v at 100%, so its hard to say what it should be at 90%. For peace of mind, top it up and see what it reads at full?

When did you buy your car?

Have you had any updates done, if so, do you know what date they were carried out?

Same situation (447v), we'll see how Luscombe's deal with this for us.
Apologies, but I’m not sure what relevance the HV battery voltage has? is there a standard that it should reach? I always thought that the battery voltage remained quite consistent throughout the state of charge. The cars performance does dip when the battery gets quite low but other than that seems quite consistent? I guess that there is an expectation for a new-ish battery to achieve a certain voltage? If it charges 100% would it not automatically achieve this?

The only figures I've seen posted here and on facebook are ~455v at 100%, so its hard to say what it should be at 90%. For peace of mind, top it up and see what it reads at full?

When did you buy your car?

Have you had any updates done, if so, do you know what date they were carried out?
Had Comfort 2 and a BMS done in August. Not sure if that means anything?

Got my car october 2020 ,not sure what updates it has ,but the range seems ok .do they do all updates as part of a service or do you have to request them
Can you charge your car on your home charger with the door open or unlocked, if you can you will need the new BMS update when it’s released.

This thread has been really helpful and has actually addressed my concerns, my BMS update is causing issues, when I turn the heater off the range jumps +10 miles and I spoke to my supplying dealer in Cambridge and confirmed there are issues with the update and MG have suspended it on New Years Eve and my car is booked in with my local MG dealership in Doncaster on Wednesday and hopefully they’ll resolve it and I’ll update when it’s been done

I thonk mine needs to be locked but not sure ,i will check on next charge ,cheers
If yours needs to be locked you should be fine and your BMS update is the old version like mine and therefore you shouldn’t be suffering some of the range issues like others, in the cold you should be able to reach about 120 to 125 miles of motorway driving on a full charge; this will obviously improve when the weather warms.

When i turn my heater off my range goes up by 10% or so but surely that is to be expected . I wouldn't say there is a fault with the battery.
Yes with the heating and fan system off your range will increase that is correct.

Screenshot_20210110-140311_Facebook.jpg
i screen shotted this and although it doesn't go to 100% it gives you a good idea of what a healthy battery looks like.... I've checked mine against this and its at least 10 volts less which tells me something isn't right... Not had the bms update.

All information was very helpful. I contacted my dealer,F.G.Barnes, Canterbury who were aware of this problem but not sure what the cause is. Have an appointment for next week and will send an update after that.

View attachment 1065i screen shotted this and although it doesn't go to 100% it gives you a good idea of what a healthy battery looks like.... I've checked mine against this and its at least 10 volts less which tells me something isn't right... Not had the bms update.
The only reliable measure is to charge to 100% and let balancing complete too, on an AC charger.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom