Battery percentage stuck/frozen (now resolved)

dsimpkins

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
Yesterday I needed to top up on a rapid charger to get home. I stopped at an Evyve charger, which is a brand I've not used before (mostly Instavolt or Osprey) Charging was fine, stuck about 30% charge in, and continued on my way. It used some of that charge getting home, and the displays updated as usual.

Wife used the car later on that evening, but only a very short journey. She said the car went up by 1% on that short journey and return. I said, probably the regen on a hill did that.

This morning going to work, the display on both the dash and infotainment showed no change to battery percentage. Odometer, and miles/kWh updated as usual. I got to work using ZERO battery according to the displays. This obviously wasn't correct as I know it uses 3 or 4% depending on traffic.

So, I charged it at work (I usually charge at work) Took battery all the way to 100% to ensure a balance charge took place, and on way home happy to report the battery percentage updated as it should ( I whooped out loud when it went from 100 to 99%)

Just wondering if anyone else encountered this problem? My theory is that the rapid charge meant the cells were out of balance, and the car's BMS couldn't report the battery percentage properly. A longer journey may have sorted it, but good to know a balance charge will fix it if it happens again.

No, I just wondered. I can't see why it would be a balancing problem if you balanced that recently.

I have the SR, which is really keen on balancing frequently, but I've twice had it on long journeys involving three consecutive ultra-rapid chargers, and never any issue with the % charge reading or the GOM.

It is very strange, I've had the car nearly six months, used by slow and rapid chargers, and used multiple rapid chargers in a row while on holiday, and not encountered this before. It could just be a "feature" (not a bug) of the software, or some sort of handshake/comms error with the Evyve charger (however, it was fine initially afterwards)

It's working normally at the moment, so I guess I will have to wait and see if it occurs again. It did appear to rectify itself almost immediately once connected to a slow charger at work and the initial handshake/comms with the car was completed. Saw the battery percentage on the display drop, and then start rising again once it had been charging for a few minutes.

I thought they only recommended once a month for the Trophy and SE LR? (Once a week for the SE SR.) But in any case, not doing that religiously shouldn't give rise to overt errors like this.

Android running the new android version

Try here.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 92 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums