Battery Preconditioning, the return

Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I know battery preconditioning has been discussed on other threads, but I've not seen the Zappi's preconditioning facility mentioned.

I know that you can't apparently select preconditioning from the iSmart app whilst the charger is plugged in.
However, the Zappi has a setting that you can set whereby after the car has signalled that the charge is complete and power is cut, the next time the car tries to draw power, i.e. in response to the battery heating timer setting on the app, then, and only then, will the Zappi provide a power boost to a set power value and then revert to normal charging parameters again to replenish power drawn from the battery.

Has anyone tried this? If not, I may just try it myself tonight.

Its in the Charge settings menu on the Zappi.
Select Preconditioning... and set it "On"

Its tucked away on page 29 of the Zappi manual.

If you need to precondition the battery but haven't had the car charging beforehand, then you have to set a scheduled boost at the time you want to precondition.

You'd have to set the battery heating timer in the app as well of course.

However, the Zappi has a setting that you can set whereby after the car has signalled that the charge is complete and power is cut, the next time the car tries to draw power, i.e. in response to the battery heating timer setting on the app, t
In the MG iSmart app?

Oooh never knew I could do this, thanks, forgetting the schedule (as I fortunately don't work!), I hadn't spotted I can one button trigger battery heating just like cabin heat.

Now I'd assumed either were of little use to me as I set the charge schedule from the Zappi and not the car, I find this lets me charge on Octopus Go overnight and then the following morning if there is enough Solar the charger defaults to Eco+ and trickles sunlight into the car but if I did want to preheat at 06:00 for example it would come from the battery as the Zappi wouldn't provide power.

Now I can't see where that setting is in the myenergi app, I wonder if it's because you have a Zappi 2.1? > Aug 22. I only have a Zappi 2.0. Any chance of an app screen shot with the settiing?

Thanks - Mike

@DevonMG4 I don't think it is in the myenergi app, you have to set it on the front of the Zappi itself.
The battery heating timer is in the iSmart app (Charging Management>Scheduled Charging, turn on Scheduled Battery Heating) and set the time you want the battery heating to take place (after the scheduled Zappi charging has finished of course).
The caveat with saying that is that I haven't yet tried it myself! I have to sort out problems with my scheduled overnight charging at the same time as charging up a solar battery first!

OK thanks, I'll have an experiment, RTFM and check for Zappi & myenergi app updates. If I had the option, I'd have thought it would be in the screen below. Incidentally this is the setup that works nicely with Octopus Go overnight and sunshine the following day - although solar charging is very limited this time of year but we've managed some sunshine miles.

Screenshot_20230118-160658.png

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 508 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel