Battery Preheat.

Pauli363

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
When should I use it, under what circumstances, is it on a timer, should it be left on all the time or is it manual operation?

All questions I have put to one side since we got the ZS in May as its been summer months all the way. Now with the temperature falling, I am interested in what this does. Cheers

I would have concerns about this. So, you only really use it when you know you are going to a fast charger and want to maximise the charge in the shortest time. You need to switch it on for 30-40 mins prior to the charge. However, when on a journey, you wouldn't know really the state of the charger until you get to it. IE, is there a long queue to use the fast charger? Or is it even working. In the meantime, you have burnt through 7kw or so of energy to pre heat the battery which may mean you have not got enough reserved power to reach another charger.

Does the battery not heat up sufficiently when you are out and about driving anyway?

Here is the advice on this website - Electric car battery in winter: Heating, please! - electrive.com
"a non-tempered cell ages four times (!) as fast during the charge and discharge cycles at below five degrees Celsius as one that is charged and discharged at high heat. This is the result of so-called lithium plating,"

So, if the above is correct, on the LR, we should be using the battery heating to minimise battery degradation when driving in the cold as well as pre-heating before charging to improve the charge rate.

I think I will pre-heat if the battery temperature is below +5C, as long as I have spare power available.

Today, it was cold enough to try out the battery heater. It draws 3.5KW so a 10 minute pre-heat uses about 2 miles of range. In 10 minutes, the battery had warmed by 5C.
Initially, the battery stays cold but the coolant warms to around +25C and then it appears to go around the battery and warm the battery.

No It's not there now but I will take one if it returns
This is all it says at the moment.

Attachments

• 16698017076847731468993316229038.jpg
    16698017076847731468993316229038.jpg
    348.4 KB · Views: 361
New android app came out today to remove bugs if you go to play store find app it should have update the new one is 1.1.8 now

Updated app and the red warnings have gone. Not able to start battery heating from the app though. Says "battery heating system failure". 😬🤔
That's probably waiting for a matching car software update.

I am using iOS, so didn’t have those red warnings, but I did try to initiate battery heating via the app, and had the same “battery heating system failure”.
Anyone had any luck with this?

Just updated app for android and overheating messages have now gone

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221130-182351_MG iSMART.jpg
    Screenshot_20221130-182351_MG iSMART.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 320
I am using iOS, so didn’t have those red warnings, but I did try to initiate battery heating via the app, and had the same “battery heating system failure”.
Anyone had any luck with this?
It's probably awaiting some sort of software update on the car to complete the feature. Everyone's the same.

Select "Charging Management" from the main menu
Select "Scheduled Charging" from the bottom of the screen
Select "Start Heating" from Battery Heating at the bottom of the screen
Once it is active, the "Start Heating" button changes to "Stop Heating" and you will get a message saying "Command Executed Successfully"
If you aren't seeing the Battery Heating option I suspect you will be on an old version of the app, so need to go to "My Profile" on the main menu and select "About" and then "Update"

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom