Battery Preheat.

Select "Charging Management" from the main menu
Select "Scheduled Charging" from the bottom of the screen
Select "Start Heating" from Battery Heating at the bottom of the screen
Once it is active, the "Start Heating" button changes to "Stop Heating" and you will get a message saying "Command Executed Successfully"
If you aren't seeing the Battery Heating option I suspect you will be on an old version of the app, so need to go to "My Profile" on the main menu and select "About" and then "Update"
Thanks for this, just checked, it’s there!

How long should you pre heat the battery then? Does anyone know how much energy it takes? Will my granny charger have enough juice to power battery heating and cabin heating before my journeys?

I have the new version 1.1.8 on Android. I used the preheating a while this morning. It used about 6kw for 15 min, but I didn't notice any decreased consumption when driving 200km afterwards (-2°C). The average was 2,1kw/100km. Mostly 110km/h.
By the way - no errors.

Ive only been using the home charger so far at 7kw charge . Ive notice on full charge now at 100% I only get around 260 miles showing on display in stead when charged in the summer at 100% it then shows around 318 miles, Is this because I haven't used the battery pre heat as I don't charge until after midnight.

No this is just the car learning your driving style and taking cold weather into consideration

Do MG provide advice and guidance on the use of battery heating?
I don’t see anywhere where it says to use prior to driving. It seems to be for pre-conditioning the battery prior to rapid charging when the pack gets most stress and it saves time spent at the charger (there is a good point about how if you’re running low this might add to your range woes if a charger is not available as expected).
I understand how a pack performs better when warmer but except in very very cold conditions I don’t see the benefit or need for battery warming prior to normal driving.
For regular fast charging and normal use it’s not necessary - am I correct?

Screenshot_20221218-133132.png

To be honest I have been testing the battery heater and the biggest benefit is to used cabin heater instead to pre heat car to a higher than needed temp for your journey ie 24 works well for me then when in the car set to your normal

To be honest I have been testing the battery heater and the biggest benefit is to used cabin heater instead to pre heat car to a higher than needed temp for your journey ie 24 works well for me then when in the car set to your normal
It does seem to be that well thought out by MG.

Oh and if the battery thinks it warm enough it don't switch on even if you switch on in car and it says it's on it lies as it's drawing no current

Oh and if the battery thinks it warm enough it don't switch on even if you switch on in car and it says it's on it lies as it's drawing no current
Ah, a cunningly designed battery warmer… humour the user

Yep I would say forget about it stick to cabin heating
As have also noticed the BMS will switch it on by it's self if needed unless your running OBD2 you've got no idea apart from lower miles per kilowatt

I may have lost the plot on battery heating so I have a few questions if I may.
1. On the info screen, charging schedule, you can switch the slider to Battery Heating always on.
Does this mean in tandem with any scheduled charging or does it mean that the Battery Heating will be switched on there and then, and it will then operate depending on the ambient temperature ?
2. On the MG iSmart app, on the scheduled battery charging screen you can also schedule Battery Heating with a start time and the app says "It is recommended to schedule battery heating 1 hour before use the car" This doesn't come across as an option but a necessity ?
3. Lower down the same screen there is a highlighted button "Start Heating" When I hit this with a scheduled battery heat time enabled it immediately responds "Service not available, try again later" If I switch off the scheduled battery heater slider is then has the whirling circle for a minute implying its trying to do something but no message appears to say that any battery heating has started on the car

Many thanks for any advice/insights
Mike

Do MG provide advice and guidance on the use of battery heating?
I don’t see anywhere where it says to use prior to driving. It seems to be for pre-conditioning the battery prior to rapid charging when the pack gets most stress and it saves time spent at the charger (there is a good point about how if you’re running low this might add to your range woes if a charger is not available as expected).
I understand how a pack performs better when warmer but except in very very cold conditions I don’t see the benefit or need for battery warming prior to normal driving.
For regular fast charging and normal use it’s not necessary - am I correct?
Hi, See my list of questions posted now as the MG app recommends battery heating 1 hour before using the car

Just a quick battery heater test to see how much power it uses the heater it's self is a 3kw water heater
Screenshot_20221221-004237.png

Car in ready mode uses about 0.3kw when lights are on but cabin heater is off when battery heater is on you have 3kw after start up and about 0.3 kw for the water pump here is a very quick video showing power used a you can see the HV battery coolant warming

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom