Battery Range > 300miles 4.6m/kwH - 481m round trip

Jonoffun

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy ER
481 miles, 4.6 miles per kwh. Cruise control speed set at 60mph.

Best bits:
It got me there and back - as expected.
Other people at the chargers saved my life, told me how to get the charger to work and more importantly told me that to stop the charger you needed to reuse your card (makes sense - as it stops someone just pushing the stop charge button when you are away). Without the help of others I would have been stuck. The instructions on the chargers are just not good enough.
Kept the AC on, but used Eco mode and the additional setting to be low energy ....can't remember what it is called. seemed to be kept cool.

Bad bits:
1) After a couple of hours an annoying cup started flashing and the car kept bonging as if the door was open. Could not turn it off!
2) Connected my phone to have spotify and googlemaps - every so often the sound went low, had to unplug and replug to get the volume back up. VERY ANNOYING
3) Connected to a 60kwh charger in Morley, car stopped charging after 2%, so I restarted the charge, stopped again after 2% and said contact MG dealer as fault with high voltage battery.
4) Used the MG Touchpoint feature on the app to try and get technical support or take the car in for help. Both MG dealers, first I tried did not have anyone to answer the phone in servicing, the other never answered the phone. So never going to rely on that as a fall back, not that I think they would have been able to help on a drop in urgent basis anyhow.

With 11% charge and 30miles and a 240mile drive home - that was very concerning. Jumped to another charger at Morley McDonalds and was able to charge to 97%
and 290miles range. No problems. But be aware that charging point has a total 90minute parking limit, so if you charge and go for a McDonalds and run over 90minutes you will get a fine.

5) Tried to use Electroverse, Chargepoint, Bank card, phone payment and finally a third bank card worked - whew!
6) At some point the car starts to nag to recharge, this would be good at 10% or 30miles of expected range, but it starts somewhere around 20% so you have nagging for upto 30miles of driving!

Pic 1 ) Ready to go - snap the starting screen.
1684574669273.jpeg

Pic 2) Safely home - annoying cup.
1684574975940.jpeg

Pic 3) Just before the charger conked out at Morley leisure centre.
1684580965114.jpeg

Pic 4) Target at 100% is 312miles!
1684582345468.jpeg

Loved the drive, stress less at 60mph on adaptive cruise control. Have done a charge at a charge station - hurrah I am free to roam the country!

Last edited:
There seems to me to be a difference between a parking charge, where you have simply overstayed in a space in a car park, and an overstay penalty on an EV charger, though. That is being levied not for occupying the parking space, but for remaining connected to the charger for longer than permitted.

Case in point. Thursday evening I'm on one of the type 2 chargers in Cambridge Street car park. I have paid for my parking, the flat rate levy for the evening/night period, so I'm entitled to stay in the car park till 8 am if I happen to want to. However there is a £40 overstay penalty for remaining connected to the charger for more than 4 hours, irrespective of the time of day.

Theoretically I could nip out, stop the charge and disconnect the car from the charger, then simply go away again without moving the car, without penalty. So a parking overstay charge and a charger overstay charge are two separate things. How does that work?

That is good advice siteguru but I just do not need the stress of being over 90mins and getting a PCN that I then have to worry about and appeal, when if I stay only 80mins I can avoid that. So, although I totally agree with you, it is worth being aware that the carpark has surveillance and a PCN will be issued after 90mins.

Noting the comment from Rolfe, The 90mins limit at McDonalds Morley is across the carpark. If you are in the carpark for any reason over 90mins - you will get a PCN. When you are worrying about a charger working - I didn't notice the signs and thankfully they were pointed out by another EV owner as they were away from the chargers and not easily visible.

Last edited:
This is a great story, tell us more!
SiteGuru / Rolfe -- you seem to be a very active participants.

Two requests, do you know anyone using Home Assistant who has been able to connect their MG4 to it. There is an add on that you can use to control the car app using Home Assistant - you might have long tentacles and know someone who knows how to make the connection work!

Second request: I want Comma AI - openpilot on my car. Is there anyone you know who is technical who might be going to install it - so I can piggy back on them. If I do it - it is bound to be a total failure without a youtube video to follow!

When the car is fully charged going to post the 100% range - hoping to get to 315miles then we can start the >300mile club!

Don't ask me, I'm just a newbie who posts a lot as part of getting to understand this new way of motoring. I don't even have a wall box!

My SR is showing a range of 220 miles at the moment, but that's after a great deal of pootling yesterday and the day before.

In the SE the nice sounding lady is bound, gagged and tucked away in the cellar. ;)

(i.e. the SE doesn't have Hello MG so has none of those features - any warnings or alerts are visual). :)

481 miles, 4.6 miles per kwh. Cruise control speed set at 60mph.

Best bits:
It got me there and back - as expected.
Other people at the chargers saved my life, told me how to get the charger to work and more importantly told me that to stop the charger you needed to reuse your card (makes sense - as it stops someone just pushing the stop charge button when you are away). Without the help of others I would have been stuck. The instructions on the chargers are just not good enough.
Kept the AC on, but used Eco mode and the additional setting to be low energy ....can't remember what it is called. seemed to be kept cool.

Bad bits:
1) After a couple of hours an annoying cup started flashing and the car kept bonging as if the door was open. Could not turn it off!
2) Connected my phone to have spotify and googlemaps - every so often the sound went low, had to unplug and replug to get the volume back up. VERY ANNOYING
3) Connected to a 60kwh charger in Morley, car stopped charging after 2%, so I restarted the charge, stopped again after 2% and said contact MG dealer as fault with high voltage battery.
4) Used the MG Touchpoint feature on the app to try and get technical support or take the car in for help. Both MG dealers, first I tried did not have anyone to answer the phone in servicing, the other never answered the phone. So never going to rely on that as a fall back, not that I think they would have been able to help on a drop in urgent basis anyhow.

With 11% charge and 30miles and a 240mile drive home - that was very concerning. Jumped to another charger at Morley McDonalds and was able to charge to 97%
and 290miles range. No problems. But be aware that charging point has a total 90minute parking limit, so if you charge and go for a McDonalds and run over 90minutes you will get a fine.

5) Tried to use Electroverse, Chargepoint, Bank card, phone payment and finally a third bank card worked - whew!
6) At some point the car starts to nag to recharge, this would be good at 10% or 30miles of expected range, but it starts somewhere around 20% so you have nagging for upto 30miles of driving!

Pic 1 ) Ready to go - snap the starting screen.
View attachment 17640

Pic 2) Safely home - annoying cup.
View attachment 17641

Pic 3) Just before the charger conked out at Morley leisure centre.
View attachment 17650

Pic 4) Target at 100% is 312miles!
View attachment 17651

Loved the drive, stress less at 60mph on adaptive cruise control. Have done a charge at a charge station - hurrah I am free to roam the country!
Great story. Thanks for sharing. You can turn the low battery alerts off in settings.

4.6 miles per kwh is impressive.
I'm lucky to get 3.6 in my MG4, I was getting around 5 when driving a Hyundai Kona so it's not me.. I'm not too sure about going to Southampton cruise terminal in one charge, its just over 200 miles, Still love driving the Trophy though 👍

Driving locally like miss daisy I’ve seen 4.4m/kWh but on the motorway at 70 it will be 2.8-3.

Did round trip from Southampton to Royal Albert Hall and back this week, stuck to speed limits throughout including some 50mph stuff on M3, 15 mins queue one way on M25, but totally clear on way back, result 3.1m/kWh overall.

Speed kills…….range.

Much the same figures as my previous MG5 SR.

IMG_3237.jpeg

There was a little camera on the steering colum on the early models, but I don’t this it’s there any longer. My 23 Trophy doesn’t have it.

In practice, it never worked well and I think there maybe a dealer update to disable it.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 525 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back