Battery Range Reduced after a Rapid Charge

AndyNWuk

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I bought my MG ZS EV Exclusive last September and thanks to Chorley MG in Burnley, who I have my maintenance contract with, the car has been updated as and when required, the last update being back in February 2021.

I have hardly been anywhere since the last lockdown and the car as of yesterday morning only shows 1375 miles on the speedo.

So yesterday was my very first long distance drive, as I wanted to pick up some furniture from Ikea in both Warrington and Manchester branches which I was so looking forward to the escape to freedom!

After the last update, my car had gone through the "Battery Balancing" after each charge at home and was now showing a range of 214 miles after the last home charge, which has gradually got better from the original 163 miles I use to get.

So I set off on my 143 mile round trip journey yesterday morning with the range showing 214 miles after overnight charging at home.

This soon dropped on the first leg of the route within just a few miles to showing a range of 178 miles, then when I arrived at Ikea in Warrington, I topped up my battery using an Ecotricity CCS 50Kwh charger to full again, where the cars range showed once again 178 miles.

This was enough to complete the rest of my journey over the the Ikea Manchester branch and back home again to Blackpool.

Once home, with just 32 miles remaining on the clock and a yellow battery light just on, I charged the car overnight to include "Battery Balancing" once again using my ROLEC 7Kwh Dumb charger and this morning, the car now shows a range of just 164 miles, which is way off what it said yesterday morning of 214 miles.

Most of my normal use for this car is just travelling locally with no Motorway driving, this was a first long distance journey as previously mentioned.

Not sure if the batteries now have to go through several "Battery Balances" to increase the range back up after the CCS 50 Kw charge or not, or if it will now stay at a range each time of 164 miles.

But interesting that the Rapid Charge seems to have changed everything when compared to just using the 7Kw charge at home all the time.

But I have to say as a plus point for the ZS EV, the drive was superb and flawless, most of it done on Motorway using the MG Pilot set at 70 MPH, it was a dream to drive.
214 Miles.jpg
164 Miles.jpg

Andy (Blackpool)

I bought my MG ZS EV Exclusive last September and thanks to Chorley MG in Burnley, who I have my maintenance contract with, the car has been updated as and when required, the last update being back in February 2021.

I have hardly been anywhere since the last lockdown and the car as of yesterday morning only shows 1375 miles on the speedo.

So yesterday was my very first long distance drive, as I wanted to pick up some furniture from Ikea in both Warrington and Manchester branches which I was so looking forward to the escape to freedom!

After the last update, my car had gone through the "Battery Balancing" after each charge at home and was now showing a range of 214 miles after the last home charge, which has gradually got better from the original 163 miles I use to get.

So I set off on my 143 mile round trip journey yesterday morning with the range showing 214 miles after overnight charging at home.

This soon dropped on the first leg of the route within just a few miles to showing a range of 178 miles, then when I arrived at Ikea in Warrington, I topped up my battery using an Ecotricity CCS 50Kwh charger to full again, where the cars range showed once again 178 miles.

This was enough to complete the rest of my journey over the the Ikea Manchester branch and back home again to Blackpool.

Once home, with just 32 miles remaining on the clock and a yellow battery light just on, I charged the car overnight to include "Battery Balancing" once again using my ROLEC 7Kwh Dumb charger and this morning, the car now shows a range of just 164 miles, which is way off what it said yesterday morning of 214 miles.

Most of my normal use for this car is just travelling locally with no Motorway driving, this was a first long distance journey as previously mentioned.

Not sure if the batteries now have to go through several "Battery Balances" to increase the range back up after the CCS 50 Kw charge or not, or if it will now stay at a range each time of 164 miles.

But interesting that the Rapid Charge seems to have changed everything when compared to just using the 7Kw charge at home all the time.

But I have to say as a plus point for the ZS EV, the drive was superb and flawless, most of it done on Motorway using the MG Pilot set at 70 MPH, it was a dream to drive.View attachment 3789View attachment 3790

Andy (Blackpool)
I think you’re confusing the predicted range with actual realistic expectations based on driving the car over a distance/time. When your car is fully charged and balanced and with the trips zero’d you should show around 163miles predicted range in N. The reason you see more (or less) is that your average miles per kwh Historically is high (or low) and this means the range uses this as a prediction. When you actually start putting any miles on the car it recalculated based on what you achieved. What mpk did you achieve on your run do you know? Another cross check is to look at your fully charged voltage which will be around 450v on the latest bms.

But I have to say as a plus point for the ZS EV, the drive was superb and flawless, most of it done on Motorway using the MG Pilot set at 70 MPH, it was a dream to drive.View attachment 3789View attachment 3790

Andy (Blackpool)
I think your last paragraph MG pilot set at 70 MPH which I assume is ACC will reduce your predicted range significantly , I tend to drive on motorways without ACC but still use MG pilot with regen 2 and only drive 70 MPH and above 😁 on down hill or flat sections of motorway , but as you drive shorter distances and slower speeds your predicted range will go up again 👍😁

All this compromise to eek out a few extra miles from a budget electric car. Buy one if your journeys are a radius of 60 miles or don’t bother. I’ve learned my lesson and trading mine in for the HS hybrid as a way out. Life is too short to spend any time on range anxiety, and I’m not going to ever waste my money again on a car you can’t use the air con in fear of not completing a journey.

All this compromise to eek out a few extra miles from a budget electric car. Buy one if your journeys are a radius of 60 miles or don’t bother. I’ve learned my lesson and trading mine in for the HS hybrid as a way out. Life is too short to spend any time on range anxiety, and I’m not going to ever waste my money again on a car you can’t use the air con in fear of not completing a journey.

Well enjoy your budget PHEV instead then, along with its much higher servicing costs. You might want to pop over to the other forum now. Oh and try not to let the door hit your posterior on the way out. Life is too short to spend any time listening to whingers, remember what your mother taught you about if you have nothing good to say as well... ;)

Sorry, but posts like these do make me giggle!

😏 looking at the growing number of HS posts and the MG / SAIC plan for world domination with the HS phev I think the ZS might lose its status RIP #tea blue. Back to weekends away and more time in the pool

I saw an HS Phev yesterday looked nice owner waved to me as he drove passed 🙂 still prefer my ZS EV did a weekend trip to forest of Dean between lockdowns last year covered 320 miles cost £4.29 for the whole trip which was a quick top up on the way home 😁 free charging before I left home and free charging at hotel 👍 I have no range anxiety diving my car and A/C uses a very small amount of battery power.🙂

I think that the HS Phev seems a nice car. Lot’s of positive comments on here. It’s a shame that there seems a need to make a parting shot at the ZS - that’s a good car too and not everyone has issues with range or travelling distance in the car.
I had a Range Rover which did 23mpg and I used to pay around £350 a month on fuel - I loved the car and i still wouldn’t knock anyone for having what they want. If it suits you go for it.
I’ve been electric now for nearly 5 Years and wouldn’t go back to ICE or hybrid.

I think a balanced view is very important. And its great to hear everyone’s experiences across the MG range and beyond. There are so many posts about how to eek out as many miles as possible like some sort of badge of honour. I think it’s very important that people looking to buy the ZS understand that they won’t get the range they expect if they rely on those who are happy Hypermiling. the ZS is a great car and as I have mentioned in other posts, if I could afford and needed 2 cars we would keep it. It’s great for the school run, local commuting within its range and fun to drive, if a little unrefined and lumpy on the suspension. But let’s make sure people know it’s strengths and weaknesses and make sure informed opinions help make the right choices on what’s best under different scenarios. And for me 2 x 45 min stops is a dreary location on a long journey and trying to find a working charger is not how I want to spend my time on the the planet.

Just an observation I see you are in kers 3 top photo and kers 1 bottom.
Just an observation I see you are in kers 3 top photo and kers 1 bottom.
Hi Electrickery,

I must have caught the Kers button when taking the photo to try and hold the information on screen while taking it, I always drive in KERS 3 and never change it, so the journey was Kers 3 all the way.

But that was useful information Cocijo gave regarding the estimate being based on the previous driving experience makes sense, as my only driving before the long journey was around town and very local, which showed my "Miles per kWh to be constantly at 4.0

During the long trip, because of the faster driving, it averaged 3.4 Miles /kWh which is understandable.

The total miles for the trip was 146.9 and the voltage after charging 449V

Andy

Trip Miles.jpg

Voltage after charging.jpg

I have now been a BEV owner for the last 18 months, after owning a PHEV for over four years before that.
I personally enjoyed every mile in the PHEV.
But we have to remember, that I was coming from a LONG line of petrol ICE cars, after many many years of driving.
I have driven just about everything from a 2CV to a Aston Martin way back in the day.
I do think there still is a market for PHEV's.
This could be down to a number of life circumstances, or change in usage patterns that renders a PHEV a much safer choice.
I got firmly bitten by the EV bug when driving a PHEV in pure electric mode for the first time.
This was a completely different driving experience to a ICE car.
Within a short few months of ownership, I knew my next car would have to be a BEV !.
If your one of them people that get's hooked on the full EV experience, then including any involvement from an ICE unit, is not just going to cut it anymore.
A PHEV is an out and out ICE car, but does have the ability to run with a very small amount of electrical propulsion.
About 30 miles pure electrical range can be achieved in perfect conditions.
In the winter you can see that small range get absolutely smashed.
No difference in that respect from a PHEV to a BEV.
In the PHEV this is less of a concern, because of the massive fuel reserve that you are lugging around in the fuel tank.
The interaction between the ICE and the EV mode ( in he PHEV I had ) was very slick via a DSG gearbox, but it does NOT offer you the same feeling as a pure EV.
The PHEV set up is extremely clever and a brilliant piece of technical engineering.
Like most things, when it is working correctly it is fantastic.
I had NO issue with my PHEV over the four years and just under 30,000 miles.
I do recommend strongly that when you are considering buying a PHEV - You do some serious homework first, with regards to long term servicing costs.
The first two years are reasonable, but after this point the cost rises sharply each year.
PHEV's usually have ( mine did ) a very strict service schedule.
It was every 10 months or 10,000 miles which EVER came first, no exceptions !.
One year a minor service, with a A/C service added in for good measure and NOT covered by a service plan.
The following year an inspection service and on the second year a brake fluid replacement, then every three years after that, again not covered by a service plan !.
It alternates one to the other each year, this drives up the servicing costs a lot over an EV.
At about four years, you are looking at a DSG oil change ( not cheap ) plus the yearly service ( warning light at ten months ! ).
At the five year mark, you are looking at a cam belt replacement.
These jobs are more expensive, because of the safety side of the HV side of things that needs isolating which takes time.
This is NOT an example of what MG requires regarding their PHEV'S - But I think it will be fairly similar.
PHEV ownership, with regards to serving schedules can be really strict - Why ?.
Consider this, your heavy ICE is just sitting under the bonnet sleeping and getting a free ride from the electric motor.
Then, you need to make that fast overtake, of that slow moving tractor on a narrow country lane.
You check your mirror and indicate, and then want full power from every power plant, to get past both quickly and safely.
You hit the "Go" pedal, the electric motor responds quickly ( like in a BEV ) but you also want the petrol power !.
At this point, you WILL get that slight delay when the DSG sorts out what gear it should be in for the task required, and then suddenly the cold engine wakes up and is expected to reach a high RPM instantly FROM COLD !.
Some more frantic DSG changes as the speed builds up to the required demand.
You have passed the tractor, then the engine can go back to sleep.
So, after only covering a small ICE mileage over 12 months, you are asking why they are charging the oil again.
Now you know.
Some manufactures only offer a three year warranty on their cars.
If you own a complicated PHEV - Then extending the warranty is the safest way to go.
Another additional cost by the owner.
The service schedule homework is the BIG order of the day, when considering buying a PHEV.
I honestly have NO axe to grind comparing PHEV'S with a full BEV.
Purely trying to offer some good advise from someone who has had a foot firmly placed in both camps, I have been there and bought the "T" shirt, for four years on the PHEV and now 18 months on a BEV.
So, I think you will agree, I am in a pretty good place to voice my own opinions on both types of propulsion over the last 5 and half years.
For myself ( and this is only on a personal basis ) the BEV wins my vote for only SOME of the reasons I have mentioned above.
Get your usage pattern wrong, have no back up from a second ICE or believe 100% what the WLTP figure predicts and you could come up short and therefore left wanting more range than the size of the pack you have in your EV.
A PHEV is much better option than any ICE, but it's a long way short of a BEV.
Horses for courses I guess folks.
If we all liked the same thing, we would all be living in the same type of house and driving the same type of car !.

Last edited:
I think a balanced view is very important. And its great to hear everyone’s experiences across the MG range and beyond.
Agreed, but your posts have become very bitter towards the ZS EV.
The car did not suit you. You misjudged your requirements and how it would fit into your lifestyle and have now corrected your decision.
I am sure we wish you good and enjoyable motoring and much happiness in your new PHEV but please also understand that although it didn't suit you, it suits mine and many others needs perfectly, so please try and avoid slagging it off every post you make.

Agreed, but your posts have become very bitter towards the ZS EV.
The car did not suit you. You misjudged your requirements and how it would fit into your lifestyle and have now corrected your decision.
I am sure we wish you good and enjoyable motoring and much happiness in your new PHEV but please also understand that although it didn't suit you, it suits mine and many others needs perfectly, so please try and avoid slagging it off every post you make.
Sorry folks, but at the very good chance of repeating myself once again !.
It’s down to USAGE !.
If you get it wrong or it changes, then that is what is likely to happen to the car.
It is going to get changed !.
And as we all know, this is NEVER a cheap option !.
Probably a reason why you would suddenly become bitter towards the car ?.
Life is to short my friends.
Time to move on !.

Wouldn't a fully electric HS be in direct competition with the MG Marvel though ?

I understand your reasoning.
At the end of the day is does come down to making the right choice of car and, unfortunately even after doing a reasonable amount of research, with EVs and their (let's be honest) misleading marketing figures it can cause people to buy the wrong car - it caught me out on the ZS too but I'm having to make the most of it (and not worry too much until we get to next winter).

Personally for me, my option is a hybrid is the worst of both worlds & importantly doesn't save much money unlike a pure EV.

An EV with a bigger battery capacity would be the ideal solution, are you not tempted to buy another brand?

@JodyS21 I did consider other manufacturers but we both like the higher driving position and wanted to concentrate on moving up to C sector SUV. Tesla range at MG pricing is just not possible as yet it seems too. The overriding factor was the lack of charging stations and growth is too slow. On top of that we have so many times found out of service charges or even none close to destination. We have elderly parents that I don’t want to find we are on low SOC in an emergency. Also many of our day to day journeys are likely to be within its EV range.

And finally, our MG dealer did a good job at transitioning us out of our MG ZS contract into the HS. The new HS seems to make sense even though cost of ownership I could of got a diesel BMW X1 but flying the EV flag still.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom