Battery Range Reduced after a Rapid Charge

I can see the attraction on paper of a hybrid (particularly talking about PHEV here) - especially for those unsure of making the full EV commitment, but when I’ve looked closely it’s never really stacked up.

If you do a lot of short journeys (by short I mean no more than 120miles/day) then the EV is by far the best option.
EV Negatives?
If you need to jump in and go on a longer trip quickly - you can’t really.
So, you can ask yourself - when was the last time I needed to jump in my car and travel quickly over 120miles urgently? Is it something that is a major factor for me?
If you go on a longer trip you need to really plan it.
Again, you can ask yourself - do I have the patience and time on a longer trip to wait for charging and can I tolerate the infrastructure issues? You do need far more patience with a EV at the moment.
I don’t travel anywhere near like I used to for business - I did business travel with a Tesla a few Years ago and even with their fantastic supercharger network it could be frustrating at times and you had to modify your behaviour. To be honest it would have been far easier still in a ICE car.

I think hybrids are really not one thing or the other. If you do a lot of longer trips hybrids are just a 35mpg petrol car with added weight and cost. If you do a lot of shorter journeys you’re better off with a EV. PHEV’s are also far more complex then an equivalent pure ICE or EV and need servicing. Using the limited electric range on short journeys surely represents minimal savings?

I guess it’s that added reassurance that you still have the good old petrol engine to take you on an unplanned longer trip if you need it - and that’s important to some people.
I still think though if you do feel that way get yourself a really economical and much cheaper and less complex petrol or diesel car and wait until the EV car (ranges are creeping up and soon the 400+ mile range EV will be commonplace) and charging infrastructure gives you enough confidence to move across.
Many households of course have a EV and a ICE as a second car and potential backup for emergency and longer trips.

I can see the attraction on paper of a hybrid (particularly talking about PHEV here) - especially for those unsure of making the full EV commitment, but when I’ve looked closely it’s never really stacked up.

If you do a lot of short journeys (by short I mean no more than 120miles/day) then the EV is by far the best option.
EV Negatives?
So, you can ask yourself - when was the last time I needed to jump in my car and travel quickly over 120miles urgently? Is it something that is a major factor for me?
Again, you can ask yourself - do I have the patience and time on a longer trip to wait for charging and can I tolerate the infrastructure issues? You do need far more patience with a EV at the moment.
I don’t travel anywhere near like I used to for business - I did business travel with a Tesla a few Years ago and even with their fantastic supercharger network it could be frustrating at times and you had to modify your behaviour. To be honest it would have been far easier still in a ICE car.

I think hybrids are really not one thing or the other. If you do a lot of longer trips hybrids are just a 35mpg petrol car with added weight and cost. If you do a lot of shorter journeys you’re better off with a EV. PHEV’s are also far more complex then an equivalent pure ICE or EV and need servicing. Using the limited electric range on short journeys surely represents minimal savings?

I guess it’s that added reassurance that you still have the good old petrol engine to take you on an unplanned longer trip if you need it - and that’s important to some people.
I still think though if you do feel that way get yourself a really economical and much cheaper and less complex petrol or diesel car and wait until the EV car (ranges are creeping up and soon the 400+ mile range EV will be commonplace) and charging infrastructure gives you enough confidence to move across.
Many households of course have a EV and a ICE as a second car and potential backup for emergency and longer trips.
We are committed to stay with one vehicle, otherwise we would have stayed with the ZS EV and got a cabriolet. fingers crossed on the lottery.

EV Negatives?

Very well put, I fully agree.
We'd probably get rid of our 2nd (ice) car if we didn't need the backup

I drove a 309 mile run from Essex to the Lakes last Saturday with one charge stop at the excellent ne Ecotricity / Gridserve (150kW) charging stop near Rugby and a second charging stop at the BP garage with 8 (50kW) charging stools at M6 Jnc 27. The second stop I stayed longer than strictly necessary to give myself range to spare on arrival at my remote accommodation. I fact the range was sufficient on each leg and such that we also had to fit in an extra toilet stop and still only ever cruising at 65mph on motorway arrived in 7 hours 25 minutes. By complete coincidence on Sunday the couple in the adjoining cottage arrived having driven up stating from home only 10 miles from my home at 5:30 am in their Mercedes petrol SUV, taking only necessary comfort stops, and arrived at 1 pm which was 5 minutes more than my MG ZS EV. So the range I think is absolutely fine for Local and Long-haul. If I had a larger battery yes I could drive further but then I'd still need to take a break for safety every 2 hours and when i did stop I'd need to charge for longer. When you know how the car performs on a long trip you don't have range anxiety. look I run my trip route on Zap-Map and It recommended 2 stops and estimated 3.2 miles / kW so I took to the road knowing as long as the Trip consumption showed better than 3.2 I'd be fine. I got 3.7 mls/kW using A/C and never was concerned arriving at my last stop with 5% left.

I drove a 309 mile run from Essex to the Lakes last Saturday with one charge stop at the excellent ne Ecotricity / Gridserve (150kW) charging stop near Rugby and a second charging stop at the BP garage with 8 (50kW) charging stools at M6 Jnc 27. The second stop I stayed longer than strictly necessary to give myself range to spare on arrival at my remote accommodation. I fact the range was sufficient on each leg and such that we also had to fit in an extra toilet stop and still only ever cruising at 65mph on motorway arrived in 7 hours 25 minutes. By complete coincidence on Sunday the couple in the adjoining cottage arrived having driven up stating from home only 10 miles from my home at 5:30 am in their Mercedes petrol SUV, taking only necessary comfort stops, and arrived at 1 pm which was 5 minutes more than my MG ZS EV. So the range I think is absolutely fine for Local and Long-haul. If I had a larger battery yes I could drive further but then I'd still need to take a break for safety every 2 hours and when i did stop I'd need to charge for longer. When you know how the car performs on a long trip you don't have range anxiety. look I run my trip route on Zap-Map and It recommended 2 stops and estimated 3.2 miles / kW so I took to the road knowing as long as the Trip consumption showed better than 3.2 I'd be fine. I got 3.7 mls/kW using A/C and never was concerned arriving at my last stop with 5% left.
Arriving with 5% left doesn't leave much room for any issues.

We went to Sea Palling on holiday (Norfolk coast), was a nightmare, nearest rapid charger was miles away. During our week away we purposely had to travel in the wrong direction past Norwich in order to get some charge (luckily the charger was working and available)
Unfortunately it depends where you're going as to whether there's enough charging infrastructure to not cause anxiety.
I guess on the plus side, it gave us plenty to talk about for our journey, constantly discussing our charging worries!!!

Arriving with 5% left doesn't leave much room for any issues.

We went to Sea Palling on holiday (Norfolk coast), was a nightmare, nearest rapid charger was miles away. During our week away we purposely had to travel in the wrong direction past Norwich in order to get some charge (luckily the charger was working and available)
Unfortunately it depends where you're going as to whether there's enough charging infrastructure to not cause anxiety.
I guess on the plus side, it gave us plenty to talk about for our journey, constantly discussing our charging worries!!!
No chance of grabbing a charge by use of your "Granny" unit then ????.

No chance of grabbing a charge by use of your "Granny" unit then ????.
Very annoyingly no, the place we stayed wouldn't let us use their power.
I can understand it, we're wanting to grab a fair few kW from them at their cost.

I think a lot of non EV owners view is that we suck up vast amounts of their power, they worry about us overloading their system and costing them lots of money.

Not sure what the solution is for holiday homes, they won't want the expense of putting in place a metered supply socket and the admin hassle of reading it and arranging it to be paid.

Very annoyingly no, the place we stayed wouldn't let us use their power.
I can understand it, we're wanting to grab a fair few kW from them at their cost.

I think a lot of non EV owners view is that we suck up vast amounts of their power, they worry about us overloading their system and costing them lots of money.

Not sure what the solution is for holiday homes, they won't want the expense of putting in place a metered supply socket and the admin hassle of reading it and arranging it to be paid.
They are going to have to do something. We recently returned from a holiday in Northumberland and were going to use the granny charger. The holiday company were quite happy for us to leave a payment and we suggested £10 which they were happy with. In the end we did not use it. We are going away again in September to Norfolk so will suggest the same thing.

They are going to have to do something. We recently returned from a holiday in Northumberland and were going to use the granny charger. The holiday company were quite happy for us to leave a payment and we suggested £10 which they were happy with. In the end we did not use it. We are going away again in September to Norfolk so will suggest the same thing.
You can’t win really !.
If you ask them, then they automatically say no because they have no idea 🤷‍♂️ how the car achieves it charge, so they NO anyway.
Or you don’t tell them and just charge the car anyway, working in theory what they don’t know, does not hurt them.
I have charged this way twice while being away for a short break pre C19.
At the second resort, they had modern cabins for rent.
There was a convenient hard standing at the side of each cabin.
Window open, at out with the “Granny” cable was the order of the day.
Just grabbed a few hours in the evening time.
It had a energy meter on the kitchen worktop that had been set to display your daily usage.
I think it was there to discourage the use of the juice !.
They never gave me a bill at the end of our stay !.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom