Be careful on tariffs

Have you factored in the £50 you get with a referral ?
No. But I actually got £200 on moving to Octopus; £100 from a promo double referral code, and £100 as I have my ZSEV leased from Octopus. So if I add those in too, I’m even better off in the first year.

I'm on the Go Faster Tariff with Octopus and I've just got my monthly energy report which shows I've used 258Kw off peak (I, like @BarryH, have shifted my dishwasher, washing machine and car charging to off peak) and 193Kw at other times and for June, I've saved £20 from my previous energy supplier (EON).

It also gave me the average price for the month, which was £9.53 per Kwh (i.e. that would be what my 'flat rate' would be for June).

Also, from my Pod Point app, I can see that I've used 110Kw on my home charger, which cost me £6.09, meaning I used 148Kw off peak for the house.

The best thing, though, is that there's no early exit fee so if I had found being on the Go Faster Tariff wasn't working out I could just move Tariffs or supplier :cool:

Cheers

Bloggsy

I think you are getting your terminology mixed up here.
Consumption should be measured in kWh and if the average price per kWh was £9.53 you would be bankrupt in no time ;)

I think you are getting your terminology mixed up here.
Consumption should be measured in kWh and if the average price per kWh was £9.53 you would be bankrupt in no time ;)
Sorry - you're quite right! I mean Kwh and my average was 9.53p per Kwh!

I blame the family - they were talking to me as I was trying to catch up on the forum!

Cheers

Bloggsy

I thought that these rates were really good. However, I have just been reading the customer reviews on Trust Pilot. One star reviews and lots of negative comments.
It also seems that they have not been behaving on Trust Pilot.

Have you had any issues @Petriix ?
No issues, but there's a very specific way you have to play them. Their billing system is nonsensical but if you go for their 'seasonal fixed direct debit' then you can ride it out. They basically massively overestimate your usage a month in advance and give you a statement saying that you owe them money for that excessive usage, but then they credit you back for what you didn't use last month. It all works out in the long run. Just give them a 30% under estimate when you sign up.

I did the calculations on various different tariffs, Octopus Go worked out the cheapest - plus get cheap Ohme charger and £50 referral.
Can't find my spreadsheet now, but it was a close run thing with one of the other companies EV tariffs.

You have got to be very careful to get accurate comparisons. For example, if I worked out my cars power usage all at the octopus go cheap rate is wouldn't be correct. As 2 nights every week it takes more than 4hours to fully charge our car due to the mileage done on 2 consecutive days.
Plus say you're at 50% SOC, that's not exactly 21kWh of power to fully charge it due to the power losses involved, then a little bit of balancing power.
I had a complicated spreadsheet to work out my very realistic power usage and compare tariffs.

We also now set the dishwasher and washing machine if we can to come on at night. Tumble drier def move to the off peak if you can.

I've not done the calculations, but it could well be cheaper to use the emersion heater instead of gas if got a hot water cylinder

I'm on just under 15p/kWh (inc VAT) fixed tariff, 24/7 and charged my ZS from 20% to full and balanced for £5.34 then SWMBO's MG5 from 30% to full for £6.37 yesterday. 277 miles worth (GOM) between us for £11.71, 4.2p per mile including losses. I'm happy with that.

I'm on just under 15p/kWh (inc VAT) fixed tariff, 24/7 and charged my ZS from 20% to full and balanced for £5.34 then SWMBO's MG5 from 30% to full for £6.37 yesterday. 277 miles worth (GOM) between us for £11.71, 4.2p per mile including losses. I'm happy with that.
Can I ask who you are with?

You obviously don't have a great demand for electricity, I'm on octopus go and even with home charging twice a week I'm saving over £50 a month on my previous supplier (utilita)

I can confirm Utilita are expensive, I've recently changed over from Utilita to Avro & after I got a yearly read out of the combined electric/gas we'd used I couldn't believe how much we were paying :eek: I typed the combined amount we used into Octopus & Avro quote search & Avro came back at over £700/year cheaper than we were paying Utilita (y)o_O

What everyone is forgetting is that wholesale prices have risen. On my old Avro tariff I was paying 12.5p per kw, which went up to 16.9p on their new tariff. Plus standing charge went up. So I did some sums using my usage for the past year, worked out the cost on Avro new tariff and Octopus Go. Go was £10 more for the year without taking into account the cheaper rate and the £50 welcome bonus.

If I can remember correctly the Utilita tariff for the first two hours of each day was 31.836 p/kWh after that the rate was 17.811 p/kWh & Gas was 21.198 p/kWh. no standing charge.

My Octopus Go is 25p per day, 00:30-04:40 @ 5p, rest is 13.45p pkWh (inc VAT).

This time of year, looking at my spreadsheet, we're getting pretty much all of our charging in during the 4 hour 5p off peak rate. It won't be like this during winter.

Currently averaging £1.70 for 104miles, so averaging 1.63p per mile.

Looks like we're averaging about 10kWh per day on non-EV usage. EV usage averages out to 19kWh per day.

I just spotted on my Octopus bill, my average unit rate charged was 7.57p/kWh (excl.VAT). I guess this makes it nice and easy to compare to other fixed rate tariffs. Standing charge aside (which as a percentage isn't that important with my high energy usage), I'd need to be on an equivalent rate of less than 10p per kWh for it to be cheaper.
(In winter I will be using a bit more peak compared to off-peak hours to charge my car though twice a week)

1625499703406.png

Last edited:
After much consideration I think that I am going to swap over to Octopus. It will have to be on the flexible tariff until I can get a SMERT 2 meter but it compares favourably with the British Gas flexible tariff.

I did click on someone’s £50 link just to see what happened. It appears that once you have done that then you cannot click on another link.

After much consideration I think that I am going to swap over to Octopus. It will have to be on the flexible tariff until I can get a SMERT 2 meter but it compares favourably with the British Gas flexible tariff.

I did click on someone’s £50 link just to see what happened. It appears that once you have done that then you cannot click on another link.

Oh, so we can't all bid/bribe you to use our referral codes!!

I'm going to add mine to my signature now lol
(share.octopus.energy/free-koala-185)
Click mine and I'll send every referrer one of my custom designed/made 3d printed MG granny wall holders!!!!!!!!

FYI as I didn't quite realise, that when you move to Octopus, you can't get the Go tariff immediately, once you're live you then have to login and request to move onto it.

Don't forget, grab your bargain Ohme charger too that they offer.

Thanks for the info, I was wondering how you did it. Now for some reason your referral link, in your signature, is blue unlike everyone else’s which are greyed out.

I will be swapping the gas supply as well. Can you use a code for each one?

Thanks for the info, I was wondering how you did it. Now for some reason your referral link, in your signature, is blue unlike everyone else’s which are greyed out.

I will be swapping the gas supply as well. Can you use a code for each one?
Hi RichardC - when you switch to Octopus, you go onto their standard tariff until they can confirm they can read your electricity meter remotely. If not, you will have to wait until they can arrange to have a new 'smart' meter installed and the times vary - some have had theirs done within a couple of weeks but others have waited for 2-3 months!

I can only report in my case, I switched and was lucky that my current meter could be read so I managed to switch to Octopus Go within a couple of weeks and then went to Go Faster within another couple of weeks.

Gas is not on the tariff so you will go onto their standard tariff but for me, it was still cheaper than my previous supplier (EON) and if you look at my previous post, I've saved £20 last month! :cool:

Cheers

Bloggsy

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom