Ev charging tariff rip offs

Delboy102000

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Having just come to the end of a two-year fix at the end of February with EDF energy, Where I was paying just over £.15 per kilowatt for all my electricity, I am now on the standard variable rate which will be going up to nearly £.30p per kilowatt at the end of this month from the 1st of April. However having looked intoThe alternatives I am quite shocked and surprised to find the reality of the overnight charging deals requiring gas to be included with Edf and the gas goes up by 4p per kilowatt with an attendant increase also In the daily standing charge and the reality is when you work out the whole deal over the course of the year that yes you can charge for five hours a night at 4.5p per kilowatt but overall it works out as more expensive than staying with the capped standard variable rate, and in order to make a fair comparison I actually increased the standard variable capped rate from October by another 20%. Based on exactly the same offtake of electricity and gas as I actually use the total cost using the nighttime tariff works out approximately £200 per annum more than sticking with the standard variable. The trouble is that both Octopus and Edf talk about cheap charging rates. This is a long way from the truth when you work out the increased cost for the other electricity and gas and balance out the whole bill. Therefore I come to the conclusion that my charging is going to cost me approximately £.30p per kilowatt over the course of this year which is likely to be in the region of 8 to 9p per mile obviously still cheaper than petrol or diesel but nowhere near the cost competitive advantage it used to be. The thing I really don’t like is the degree of smoke and mirrors that the energy companies are using and it makes it very difficult to work out quickly or easily. These nighttime deals actually are a disadvantage on the basis that they’re quoting now because you have to charge within given parameters to get a cheap rate whilst paying more for all of your daytime usage electricity and inexplicably paying more for your gas and standard variable rate including the daily charge. I only post this to say to people who haven’t worked it out don’t be fooled. It’s a rip off!.
This is not supporting the move to green energy either. What is the regulator doing about these practices.

I think you'll find that energy will be going up for al of us know, regardless of tariff :(. You can always make complaints to OFGEM about dishonest marketing tactics.

I think you'll find that energy will be going up for al of us know, regardless of tariff :(. You can always make complaints to OFGEM about dishonest marketing tactics.
It’s a pity that the regulator seem to be unable to see it without having to complain. I know energy prices are rising. Henc I increased the cap figures by a further 20% from October in my comparison. It’s still cheaper and more convenient to stay on the variable tariff cap for now which was actually my point.
Also it helps us to see the real cost per mile of running our cars, particularly new buyers. Currently it’s 10p per mile approx.

There are still some good charging deals out there it's just a bit harder to find thanks to comparison websites not working and some have strings attached which will work for some and not others
My new tariff is
Electric 28pkw standing 20p which is a penny over new cap but standing is 1/2 price then 5p anytime charging so in todays market is very good I think
Gas is 8pkw standing 20p witch I think is cap or better?

There are still some good charging deals out there it's just a bit harder to find thanks to comparison websites not working and some have strings attached which will work for some and not others
My new tariff is
Electric 28pkw standing 20p which is a penny over new cap but standing is 1/2 price then 5p anytime charging so in todays market is very good I think
Gas is 8pkw standing 20p witch I think is cap or better?
Can you say who and which tariff. Sounds a good deal. How long is the fix

Can you say who and which tariff. Sounds a good deal. How long is the fix
It is good but has strings it's just a one year deal with OVO they say you need one of there chargers but they expected my ohme so good if you don't have a charger yet? Or if you have a compatible one

I have since seen a guide to EV tariffs on money saving expert.com. Unfortunately it details working out comparisons and exactly the way I did it and also points out that you’re unlikely to get a better deal unless it happens to be with the supplier you’re already with. If you read the article in its entirety you’ll see that Endorses most of what I’m saying and therefore I think the reality is at the moment that 10p per mile is the real cost approximately running our ZS ev’s unless you happen to be on a previous deal where you’ve got some benefits locked in for the foreseeable future. As an EDF customer I was tempted by their deal until I worked it out in the way that Martin Lewis prescribes and then could only see disadvantages at the present time. I do come to the conclusion that staying with the variable cap at the present time is likely to be the best thing for People who don’t have an existing deal.

It is good but has strings it's just a one year deal with OVO they say you need one of there chargers but they expected my ohme so good if you don't have a charger yet? Or if you have a compatible one
I have a 7 kW Pod Point which may or may not be one of their accepted chargers. Do you know if the Chargers they accept are based on whether or not they can do nighttime charging schedules, mine of course does.

I have a 7 kW Pod Point which may or may not be one of their accepted chargers. Do you know if the Chargers they accept are based on whether or not they can do nighttime charging schedules, mine of course does.
Not 100% sure I bleave new chargers need a calibrated metre? I think they expected ohme cos that what they use to sell at a discount until this new one came out indra smart pro?

Where have you been? The energy price crisis has been going on for months and you’ve recently bought a new EV!

Ofgem are the regulator and they set the cap rate on the standard variable and it went up by 54% so I’m not sure why you only increased your figures by 20%?

Its completely up to you to decide what is a good rate and what isn’t - energy providers have been charging you less for your energy than they have been buying it for. That’s why they’re now charging more for it.
If a provider wants to lure you in with a cheap overnight EV rate but charge you more for the day rate or standing charge, it’s up to you to work out if it’s a good deal or not. They are just trying to recoup their money.
Likely it is only cheaper if you are definitely going to charge your car every night and never charge away from home. If you charge once/twice a week at home and use public chargers, it’s probably not worth it.

Is it sneaky - yes. Is it something Ofgem aren’t seeing - no, as the provider is still being transparent about their charges.

@FlashingBlade has rightly pointed out.Worth talking to Octopus on phone. They offer good deals. This is what I am on right now. Feels like a lottery winner given the sky high prices now. Electricity till Oct 2022 on Go Faster tariff.
Screenshot_20220306-121740_Octopus.jpg
Screenshot_20220306-121751_Octopus.jpg

Where have you been? The energy price crisis has been going on for months and you’ve recently bought a new EV!

Ofgem are the regulator and they set the cap rate on the standard variable and it went up by 54% so I’m not sure why you only increased your figures by 20%?

Its completely up to you to decide what is a good rate and what isn’t - energy providers have been charging you less for your energy than they have been buying it for. That’s why they’re now charging more for it.
If a provider wants to lure you in with a cheap overnight EV rate but charge you more for the day rate or standing charge, it’s up to you to work out if it’s a good deal or not. They are just trying to recoup their money.
Likely it is only cheaper if you are definitely going to charge your car every night and never charge away from home. If you charge once/twice a week at home and use public chargers, it’s probably not worth it.

Is it sneaky - yes. Is it something Ofgem aren’t seeing - no, as the provider is still being transparent about their charges.
I know my price was worked on April increase plus 20%. I thought I made that clear

I know my price was worked on April increase plus 20%. I thought I made that clear
KB
your comments were quite rude actually. Still never mind most people read properly. I am not as thick as you obviously think I am

@FlashingBlade has rightly pointed out.Worth talking to Octopus on phone. They offer good deals. This is what I am on right now. Feels like a lottery winner given the sky high prices now. Electricity till Oct 2022 on Go Faster tariff.
View attachment 7313View attachment 7314
I did a comparison with Octopus as well. For new customers it works out disadvantageous. The Martin Lewis article points that out. My post was not intended to be a winge. I was trying to be helpful to new drivers being lured into the smoke and mirrors of these so called deals , and to explain that the attractive looking night rate is not so attractive when you weigh the whole thing up. I am beginning to regret I even tried. Some of the replies are neither helpful or well informed but there you go. Your tariff is not available anyway to new customers but thanks for pointing it out.
The average real cost per kw to new deals is in the region of 30p so hence 10p per mile.😀

Having just come to the end of a two-year fix at the end of February with EDF energy, Where I was paying just over £.15 per kilowatt for all my electricity, I am now on the standard variable rate which will be going up to nearly £.30p per kilowatt at the end of this month from the 1st of April. However having looked intoThe alternatives I am quite shocked and surprised to find the reality of the overnight charging deals requiring gas to be included with Edf and the gas goes up by 4p per kilowatt with an attendant increase also In the daily standing charge and the reality is when you work out the whole deal over the course of the year that yes you can charge for five hours a night at 4.5p per kilowatt but overall it works out as more expensive than staying with the capped standard variable rate, and in order to make a fair comparison I actually increased the standard variable capped rate from October by another 20%. Based on exactly the same offtake of electricity and gas as I actually use the total cost using the nighttime tariff works out approximately £200 per annum more than sticking with the standard variable. The trouble is that both Octopus and Edf talk about cheap charging rates. This is a long way from the truth when you work out the increased cost for the other electricity and gas and balance out the whole bill. Therefore I come to the conclusion that my charging is going to cost me approximately £.30p per kilowatt over the course of this year which is likely to be in the region of 8 to 9p per mile obviously still cheaper than petrol or diesel but nowhere near the cost competitive advantage it used to be. The thing I really don’t like is the degree of smoke and mirrors that the energy companies are using and it makes it very difficult to work out quickly or easily. These nighttime deals actually are a disadvantage on the basis that they’re quoting now because you have to charge within given parameters to get a cheap rate whilst paying more for all of your daytime usage electricity and inexplicably paying more for your gas and standard variable rate including the daily charge. I only post this to say to people who haven’t worked it out don’t be fooled. It’s a rip off!.
This is not supporting the move to green energy either. What is the regulator doing about these practices.
People need a home battery to make the best use of cheap off peak tariffs to offset the more expensive peak time usage.

But you wrote this:
…and in order to make a fair comparison I actually increased the standard variable capped rate from October by another 20%.

I didn’t call you thick. But maybe if you used some punctuation in that massive paragraph, it might be easier to read. I can read properly though. If you think I’m being rude, then I apologise.

However, I stand by what I said, anyone needs to do their homework before changing tariff and work out what is best for you.

As per the other threads in the General forum (which is where this post should sit as it's not ZS specific)...

For my circumstances it still works out £600 cheaper to move onto a fixed tarriff for EV charging:

VariablePenceGOPence
Gas Rate7.00Gas Rate7.00
Gas SC27.00Gas SC27.00
Elec Rate28.00Elec Rate30.77
Elec SC45.00Elec SC24.86
EV hours7.50
Per Year Gas £880.31Per Year Gas £880.31
Per Year Electric £1836.97Per Year Electric £1928.94
Total £2717.28Total £2809.25
EV 10 hours a week960.96EV 10 hours per week257.40
Overall Total £3678.24Overall Total £3066.65

Caveat All EV charging is assumed to be completed during the off peak window. The more you charge in the peak window the less savings you make and vice versa.

Note: per year electric (without EV charging) is based on my personal consumption of approx. 6000kw per year.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom