Best All Season Tyres for MG4

Are you trying to imply that Chinese made goods are not quite up to the quality of what we normally buy?? 😇
The Chinese make most of our goods so no, they can build to any cost/quality spec so as well as all the high end stuff (iPhones etc), and those bundled tyres are clearly budget even in China.

Even in the dry in summer, the grip isn't brilliant. But changing them means spending money before I have to... hmmm

The Chinese make most of our goods so no, they can build to any cost/quality spec so as well as all the high end stuff (iPhones etc), and those bundled tyres are clearly budget even in China.

Even in the dry in summer, the grip isn't brilliant. But changing them means spending money before I have to... hmmm
Budget tyres on a budget car😉

So probably we should mentally increase the price of MGs a little to offset this when comparing with traditional makes. Even so, some of them are taking the proverbial with their list prices... how much?!

So probably we should mentally increase the price of MGs a little to offset this when comparing with traditional makes. Even so, some of them are taking the proverbial with their list prices... how much?!
Traditional makes come with rubbish tyres also, mostly. Not all. But most

I would suggest just check the wear. Maybe take a coin and stick it in the tread. Hold a thumbnail or fingernail level with the tyre. Check it against the others. If there's a marked difference maybe rotation would be helpful. I am sure you'd get charged to rotate them.

Is the ZS rear wheel drive like the MG4? I would hope it means wear is quite even, if so.
Not all tyres/tires can be rotated as you used to. If you have directional tyres you'll get in a right pickle. if you rotate then two of the tyres will end up on a corner of the car facing the wrong direction. If directional then you can only swap front to rear on the same side of the car. The rotating practice dates back to X-Ply tyres now only found on Classic Cars. Today's radial tyres each have their own requirements as some are directional but I think more often you'll come across tyres which are not but must be fitted on the rims the right way round as they have an outside and an inside and a tread pattern which varies across the width of the tread. Many performance cars also have different width rims and tyres on front to rear so you've fitted the tyre there it stays.

For what it is worth I have a strategy of leaving tyres at a particular position and normally leave them until tyres need replacing. Then I only ever replace in pairs and that's usually the front tyres that are worn which I replace with the rear tyres and put the new ones on the rear. Why, it's because I have found over 50 years of motoring with both front and rear wheel drive that the handling, particularly in wet or slippery conditions is significantly better when the better grip is on the rear wheels. Now that might surprise many and some with front-wheel drive will say the best should be on the front because those wheels are doing all the work but I made the mistake of believing that when replacing the front pair on an FWD Renault one-time against the advice of the tyre fitter. I was back the following day to have them swapped it was like driving on ice and the tail of the car kept sticking out like a drift car even in the dry! I had the new tyres moved to the back and part worn tyres to the rear. I've always done that since and I've tried switching the best tyres from one axil to the other on both FWD and RWD and it is exactly the same better more predictable handling every time, particularly in damp of slippery conditions.

Agreed, all season tyres noisy. Unless you live in North of Scotland or wilds of Wales summer tyres are perfectly good . What's wrong with the OEM Continentals that win tyre tests. Should we have tyre chains, winches and survival suits in the boot too🤣

Last edited:
Agreed, all season tyres noisy. Unless you live in North of Scotland or wilds of Wales summer tyres are perfectly good . What's wrong with the OEM Continentals that win tyre tests. Should we have tyre chains, winches and survival suits in the boot too🤣

What an odd post….
Firstly, don’t you think people on here are able to judge if they need all-climate or not?
So the very fact they’re asking means they’ve decided they do…?
Also, noise levels have to given now and the likes of the Michelin and vectors are no noisier than many summer tyres (around 71db)

What an odd post….
Firstly, don’t you think people on here are able to judge if they need all-climate or not?
So the very fact they’re asking means they’ve decided they do…?
Also, noise levels have to given now and the likes of the Michelin and vectors are no noisier than many summer tyres (around 71db)
I've tried Michelin cross climates when I lived in Norway. They are noisy!

Now that might surprise many and some with front-wheel drive will say the best should be on the front because those wheels are doing all the work but I made the mistake of believing that when replacing the front pair on an FWD Renault one-time against the advice of the tyre fitter. I was back the following day to have them swapped it was like driving on ice and the tail of the car kept sticking out like a drift car even in the dry! I had the new tyres moved to the back and part worn tyres to the rear. I've always done that since and I've tried switching the best tyres from one axil to the other on both FWD and RWD and it is exactly the same better more predictable handling every time, particularly in damp of slippery conditions.

You’ve stated “one-time” it happened with you.
Well I’ve been fitting the best tyres, or all-season tyres, to the front of FWD cars only for many years and many cars now.
Our Evoque and polo are thus equipped.
Firstly, it’s perfectly legal and not against any insurance regulations, let’s get that out of the way.
Secondly, many years and umpteen different cars, I’ve had not had a single incident of the tail going awol, dry, wet or snow.
Yes, if you an afford to fit four on a FWD car go right ahead, but if you can’t (or won’t in my case) I’d argue two are better than none in snow.
RWD cars need four, which is an expensive pain.
I’m facing £500 to put them on my born and was the same for the 4.

I thought this thread was for MG4 electric vehicles. I thought equally people buy MG4s to save the planet, save money (charging from home) and try to I hope, to act responsibly. The OEM tyres on the MG are from arguably the best manufacture of tyres. The are a mix of high MPKW, low resistance efficiency and summer tread pattern for reduced noise, reduced aquaplaning and comfort. With a rubber composition to deal with most weather conditions. Why therefore is there a movement to fit tyres that reduce range in a country with climate change that hardly ever dips below freezing. But does experience high summer temperatures and deluges of rain. I agree, don't skimp on tyres but don't get caught up with doomsday prepers either.

I thought this thread was for MG4 electric vehicles. I thought equally people buy MG4s to save the planet, save money (charging from home) and try to I hope, to act responsibly. The OEM tyres on the MG are from arguably the best manufacture of tyres. The are a mix of high MPKW, low resistance efficiency and summer tread pattern for reduced noise, reduced aquaplaning and comfort. With a rubber composition to deal with most weather conditions. Why therefore is there a movement to fit tyres that reduce range in a country with climate change that hardly ever dips below freezing. But does experience high summer temperatures and deluges of rain. I agree, don't skimp on tyres but don't get caught up with doomsday prepers either.
The supplied tyres on the 4 are mediocre at best, they are not European spec Contis, they are Chinese and there are numerous reports of poor grip.

The phase 2 cars come with Bridgestones and not enough miles have been done on them yet to get a feel for their quality or otherwise

As I’ve already said, the people asking about them evidently feel they need them.
Heavy snow isn’t at all unusual where I live, you’re going nowhere at all on summer tyres and I’ll openly tut or laugh (depending on mood) as you wheelspin away hopelessly.
And it’s not the North of Scotland either, I’m nearer the border with England than I am John o groats.

The supplied tyres on the 4 are mediocre at best, they are not European spec Contis, they are Chinese and there are numerous reports of poor grip.

The phase 2 cars come with Bridgestones and not enough miles have been done on them yet to get a feel for their quality or otherwise
Bridgestone Turanza 005s regularly come top 3 to 5 in tests. I have second gen MG4 with Contis, nowt wrong with them but they have a habit of being noisy part worn. No one has mentioned Michelin Efficient Grip 2, another top tyre. Falken Azenis and Michelin Primacy fitted to many EVs as OEM. See Bjorn Nyland, Tesla Bjorn on You tube. He has a free Google sheets database of hundreds of EVs. I do not see cross climates etc fitted as standard on a car but his list is not exhaustive. What is fitted is Nokian Hakkapeliitta in Nordic climates. If people live in mountainous/borders areas of UK they should consider purchasing a set of new rims and fitting full Winter tyres come November. If we can stump up £30k for a car we can spend another £1000 for winter tyres/rims for the select few that really need them. The TPMS system won't pick them up so you will get a warning triangle. The sensors are £40 each and have to be programmed. Some are NFC and can be programmed from your phone but that's above my knowledge. If you are of the minority of course go ahead and fit all weather tyres.

Last edited:
Bridgestone Turanza 005s regularly come top 3 to 5 in tests. I have second gen MG4 with Contis, nowt wrong with them but they have a habit of being noisy part worn. No one has mentioned Michelin Efficient Grip 2, another top tyre. Falken Azenis and Michelin Primacy fitted to many EVs as OEM. See Bjorn Nyland, Tesla Bjorn on You tube. He has a free Google sheets database of hundreds of EVs. I do not see cross climates etc fitted as standard on a car but his list is not exhaustive. What is fitted is Nokian Hakkapeliitta in Nordic climates. If people live in mountainous areas of UK they should consider purchasing a set of new rims and fitting Winter tyres come November. If we can stump up £30k for a car we can spend another £1000 for winter tyres/rims for the select few that really need them. The TPMS system won't pick them up so you will get a warning triangle. The sensors are £40 each and have to be programmed. Some are NFC and can be programmed from your phone but that's above my knowledge.
You have listed a load of tyres but the op specifically asked about all seasons so people answered. No one asked for ideas for replacement summer tyres, as you point out they are numerous.

Your Contis may be ok but there have been numerous posts relating to them not being the best and that has been attributed to them being Chinese Contis that you can't buy here, no one has said European continental tyres are poor.

Bridgestone Turanza 005s regularly come top 3 to 5 in tests. I have second gen MG4 with Contis, nowt wrong with them but they have a habit of being noisy part worn. No one has mentioned Michelin Efficient Grip 2, another top tyre. Falken Azenis and Michelin Primacy fitted to many EVs as OEM. See Bjorn Nyland, Tesla Bjorn on You tube. He has a free Google sheets database of hundreds of EVs. I do not see cross climates etc fitted as standard on a
car but his list is not exhaustive. What is fitted is Nokian Hakkapeliitta in Nordic climates. If people live in mountainous areas of UK they should consider purchasing a set of new rims and fitting Winter tyres come November. If we can stump up £30k for a car we can spend another £1000 for winter tyres/rims for the select few that really need them. The toms won't pick them up so you will get a warning triangle. The sensors are £40 each and have to be programmed. Some are NFC and can be programmed from your phone but that's above my knowledge.

I’m not sure what you think you’re ‘proving’ by saying cross-climate aren’t fitted as standard to any EV…. 🤷‍♂️
And….?

I’m not sure what you think you’re ‘proving’ by saying cross-climate aren’t fitted as standard to any EV…. 🤷‍♂️
And….?
Most discussion relating to EVs relates to range anxiety and cost of charging. From what I can see not one manufacturer in the world fits all season tyres. Why? Er because of mile's per kWh lost due to tyre tread construction. I had a diesel Passat 7 years ago, before I saw the light. 50,000 miles per year. Fitted cross climates, 10% less mpg. So let's say you lose 10% from SE range, that's around 4.9 kw (49.0 usable range net of buffer). Let's say you can't charge at home. So 4.9 x £0.60. So £3 lost for every 140 miles at 120 kmh. Easy to lose £10 to £20 per week for higher mileage users. But it's the range that is more critical especially in winter (SE more so) So losing 10 miles from a 100 mile range in winter if you live in Bournemouth is ridiculous on all weather tyres. Just because you read on a forum how safe they are when your ploughing through snow drifts on the sea front. Conservative people must not be promoted to think all season tyres are the perfect fit for an EV with respectfully a small battery pack.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back