Best All Season Tyres for MG4

QLeo

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
The question of tyres comes up in various threads here, at least according to some searching I've done. And quite a few folk have views on types of tyres used on non-MG4s, which probably translate to their use on MG4s as well. But I thought it worth while to ask opinions specifically. As we head into autumn, I'll be changing to all-season tyres. I know some will stay with factory-fitted tyres, and that's fine, but where we live, we need to be rather more certain of the car's ability to cope with potentially challenging conditions.

I've looked through various tyre tests, and the first thing that strikes me is that there seems to be a disconnect between the EU tyre labelling and the tyres as tested. It's also likely that the cars on which the tyres were tested, and their size, plays a part in the results. None of the tests seems to rate on economy, though, which at least the tyre labels attempt, and which is important to us as EV drivers. Noise is important too, but if a tyre kills economy, it'll be very disappointing. So I think it is probably a good idea to use the tyre label as a guide to this.

Shortlist

Near the top of many tests is the expensive Michelin CrossClimate 2. These are expensive, though, and when I spoke to a tyre supplier we have used for some years, got the response that, although they'd make more selling them, his view was that they were well marketed rather than really deserving their praise.

The Hankook Kinergy 4S2 comes top of some tests, and is reasonably priced. I know nothing of the brand practically though. This has a tyre label rating of C for rolling resistance, B for wet grip and 72dB for noise.

Our tyre dealer suggested the Maxxis AP3. I am willing to trust his judgement, especially as he said he runs them on his car. They are well priced, too. But what bothers me is the tyre label, Roll resistance D, Wet grip B, Noise 73dB.

At the moment I am leaning towards the Goodyear Vector 4Seasons Gen-3, with a label of B for rolling resistance, B for wet grip and 71dB for noise. This seems to be not as expensive as the Michelin, but has a good reputation, and best meets the requirements of economy and low noise.

Anyone have any of these tyres on their MG4, or does anyone have any views on these or other all-season tyres?

Thanks

Re. the efficiency comment - that's effectively covered by the Rolling Resistance rating; the better the rating then the better the efficiency. :)

Re. the efficiency comment - that's effectively covered by the Rolling Resistance rating; the better the rating then the better the efficiency. :)
Yes, that's what I thought, but it seems an aspect that's glossed over.

I always find this guys commentary very good and base my decision on my own wishlist and his commentary and comparisons.

Thanks. He seems to have a very similar shortlist to the one I put up.

I have Goodyear vectors on my other car, can't really fault them but it's just a small runabout so not got any performance to speak off. Were really good when we've had snow though

I have Goodyear vectors on my other car, can't really fault them but it's just a small runabout so not got any performance to speak off. Were really good when we've had snow though
Good to know.

I always thought it was interesting that I never noticed any real fuel consumption difference when changing tyres in my ICE cars over the years. I wonder if that would be true of EVs too.

Was his test car rear-wheel drive? If not, are his results correct for the MG4?
Looked like Golfs, so front wheel drive.

When I bullied my garage into fitting winter tyres to my Golf, he supplied Hankooks. They were miraculous. No, I'd never heard of them either, but they were great.
Was that full winters or all-seasons?

I think my short-shortlist is now between the Hankooks and the Goodyear

It was full winters. I'm thinking of going all-seasons this time, and keeping the original tyres to see what happens. If I'm not so keen on the all-seasons after I've tried them for a year I can work towards switching back to separate summer and winter sets.

Bowfer drove an SE SR in Aberdeenshire all last winter on all-seasons and said they performed well.

It was full winters. I'm thinking of going all-seasons this time, and keeping the original tyres to see what happens. If I'm not so keen on the all-seasons after I've tried them for a year I can work towards switching back to separate summer and winter sets.

Bowfer drove an SE SR in Aberdeenshire all last winter on all-seasons and said they performed well.
As mentioned elsewhere ouot little diesel Panda 4x4 was factory-specced with winter tyres, which we used all year round. But I think I'd rather the extra durability of all-seasons on Goth Leo.
@bowfer would be interesting to know your experience, if you notice this thread, and what your tyre choice was.

I didn't like the winter tyres on my Golf in Summer. Once we got into April I started noticing tyre noise, for some reason. I did keep them all all summer in 2020 because lockdown caused me to miss the window when I usually changed, and I was hardly going anywhere anyway. (If I'd been caught with summer tyres on, say the lockdown had happened in October, I'd have done something to get the tyres changed though.)

I think @bowfer fitted Cross Climates, but I may be mis-remembering. :)

Goodyear vector
As good as Michelin in all respects and often cheaper.

I didn't like the winter tyres on my Golf in Summer. Once we got into April I started noticing tyre noise, for some reason. I did keep them all all summer in 2020 because lockdown caused me to miss the window when I usually changed, and I was hardly going anywhere anyway. (If I'd been caught with summer tyres on, say the lockdown had happened in October, I'd have done something to get the tyres changed though.)

Tyre noise is caused by air being forced out of the grooves and sipes as it’s squished against the tarmac.
Full winter tyres have wider grooves and more sipes, hence more noise.

The funny thing is though, I only noticed it in the summer. (I suppose I noticed it when I first drove away in the winter tyres, but then I blanked it until it started to get a bit warmer, when it began to annoy me and say, time to change those tyres!)

While on the subject of tyres, our ZSEV is due its first service next week, would any member believe it would be a good idea to have the tyres rotated to even out the wear. I am in two minds, I can imagine the service dept. will charge for this, so will it be worth the cost ?

While on the subject of tyres, our ZSEV is due its first service next week, would any member believe it would be a good idea to have the tyres rotated to even out the wear. I am in two minds, I can imagine the service dept. will charge for this, so will it be worth the cost ?
I would suggest just check the wear. Maybe take a coin and stick it in the tread. Hold a thumbnail or fingernail level with the tyre. Check it against the others. If there's a marked difference maybe rotation would be helpful. I am sure you'd get charged to rotate them.

Is the ZS rear wheel drive like the MG4? I would hope it means wear is quite even, if so.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 507 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back