Best All Season Tyres for MG4

I'm not telling you to stop obsessing about efficiency at all! It's all good information. I'm assuming it's the way I drive, but I'm not always tearing around like Jehu, and I never get the figures some people report. Maybe you're all just terribly good at hypermiling!
:) <BOWS MODESTLY>!

Or maybe it's my undertray. 🤬

At least I can charge at home and I'm looking into getting a solar and battery system which (together with a variable tariff) should bring the cost per unit down a lot more. It must be costing you a fortune at public chargers.

Or maybe it's my undertray. 🤬

At least I can charge at home and I'm looking into getting a solar and battery system which (together with a variable tariff) should bring the cost per unit down a lot more. It must be costing you a fortune at public chargers.
Do you know, it's not too bad, but only when we are not in the Highland Council region. The myopic council decided to make their relatively good charge network 70p per kW on the fast chargers, 35p on the slow chargers. The moment we are outwith the Highland Council area, which, remember, is the size of Belgium, prices tumble, and over this weekend we paid between 35 and 55p per kW on fast chargers.

I had a long and futile social media exchange with a councillor over the weekend about this. But they're like Teflon. He claimed they were losing money on their chargers. But this is the same lot who assured us that we couldn't get a long section of local, re-tarred road painted with white lines because, we were told, there were only two machines in the whole of the UK which could do the work.

Cooncillors.

The charger five minutes walk from me, run by Borders Council, is 30p.

The rapid chargers out and about in England (remember I can get to Lancashire before I need to charge) are an absolute horror. But I don't care so much because I so seldom charge away from home.

:) That's a very kind way of telling me to stop obsessing about efficiency! Sorry about that. It's just that, as we can't charge at home, and most journeys are long ones*, it feels important to keep on top of it.
Someone on Mastodon, who drives another type of EV, can't remember what, assured me he saw no efficiency drop with the Goodyears, which gave me the confidence to make the swap. Then someone here (was it you @tsedge ?) said they'd used the Goodyears to good effect. But yes, the performance of the car on the new tyres, and the fact that they are so much quieter, really is noticeable. I hope you are happy with them when your new tyres arrive. Less grippy winter conditions certainly now hold far fewer terrors.

* - we need to do a shop this week. That's a 140 mile round trip to our nearest preferred supermarkets, excepting the 90 mile round trip to the nearest manky tesco
It wasn't me, but good to hear that they are good tyres.

I had the Goodyear tyres recommended by QLeo fitted today - well, Andrew at the garage said the ones he could get weren't exactly the same but it was only a slightly different tread pattern. I've not driven far as yet - only to Carlops and back - but I already think the ride may be smoother and the road noise less.

I have to go to Edinburgh tomorrow so I'll see what that's like.

I had the Goodyear tyres recommended by QLeo fitted today - well, Andrew at the garage said the ones he could get weren't exactly the same but it was only a slightly different tread pattern. I've not driven far as yet - only to Carlops and back - but I already think the ride may be smoother and the road noise less.

I have to go to Edinburgh tomorrow so I'll see what that's like.
I hope they well for you. I wonder if it was "Gen 2" tyres he could get, and, thinking about it, when I ordered mine, Dave at Godsman's looked surprised and said "oh, look at that - only 8 in that size in the country." Obviously all the lurking MG4 owners rushing out to get them!

Well, the first thing I will have to do is sort out the tyre pressures. I delivered the car at 2.5 all round (cold). The first time I thought to look on the car's screen with the new tyres, the off fore was up at 2.8 and the others were sort of varied. That has settled down now to 2.4 on all tyres except that off fore with is on 2.6, again all tyres cold. I wonder which apprentice got that job? Of course, I've never before been in the position of being able to check easily.

As for pics, they look like tyres... ;)

Recently changed all my Bridgestone standard tyres on my X Power to All Weather Michellin CrossClimates and the difference in grip and handling is just amazing!
I've probably lost about .1 or maybe .2 in terms of the 0 to 60 time and maybe I use just a little bit more fuel / electric however at least now I feel a lot more confident on the road knowing that my car has proper rubber on it :)

Would highly recommend to anyone especially as the originally Bridgestones are in fact made in China which are not the same as Bridgestones made in the EU.

Took advantage of Michellins current cash back offer which made the additional outlay for the tyres a little bit better in terms of the good old bank balance.

I had Vredestein all season tyres on my ICE VW Group car and they were excellent. Whatever decide you will need to watch out for noisy tyres because with no engine noise you really don't want to go and spoil that quiet interior with additional tyre noise.

Economy; well all I can tell you is when I swapped my 'D' rated 19" wheels and run-flat tyres, (awful combination), on my ICE Mercedes to 18" not run-flat Devanti tyres I got an immediate increase in fuel economy of 12%. I think that amount of improvement in fuel economy is unusual, but I only state it as a verified example of what is possible. I chose the Devanti 640's because they were keenly priced, made in the UK, good grip, low rolling resistance, and supremely quiet.

Not on our MG4, but I have run plenty of AS tyres on our previous fleet.

Michelin CC+ and CC2 and two sets of Bridgestone Weather Control A005 and Weather Control A005 Evo.

I thought them both very good. The Bridgestones had an A rating for wet grip.

At the risk of reviving this thread, just a report on the Goodyears we fitted a while back, in the icy conditions recently.
We had to go across to the east coast last Friday, when we thought it was rather warmer than it has been of late. The journey involved 45 or miles of single-track. We got to once point, and turned a corner, and I felt the car lurch slightly. It was very controlled, but clearly we had slipped on black ice. I tried braking and accelerating, not hard, but hard enough to find break points, and the car behaved perfectly. Just from time to time, there was a lateral loss of grip.
We picked up a 4x4 of some kind ahead of us who carefully drove along at 25mph, and porkily tried their brakes very early when approaching a corner (we could see the brake lights going on and off) so I must assume that they were feeling much more at risk than we were.
Our own roads here have not been gritted for some time, as the 2 local gritters are both broken. Again, this morning, we had a couple of occasions of lateral grip loss, but in a straight line no such problem at all. These lateral slides also felt even; it wasn't the back stepping out or the front washing away, but a definite lateral movement.
I can't tell if this is an aspect of the MG4, perhaps its weight distribution, or it's rear wheel drive, as it's decades since last I drove a rear wheel drive car, or a factor of the tyres. But it's a very specific movement.
So I would say the snow holds no fears when it comes.

At the risk of reviving this thread, just a report on the Goodyears we fitted a while back, in the icy conditions recently.
We had to go across to the east coast last Friday, when we thought it was rather warmer than it has been of late. The journey involved 45 or miles of single-track. We got to once point, and turned a corner, and I felt the car lurch slightly. It was very controlled, but clearly we had slipped on black ice. I tried braking and accelerating, not hard, but hard enough to find break points, and the car behaved perfectly. Just from time to time, there was a lateral loss of grip.
We picked up a 4x4 of some kind ahead of us who carefully drove along at 25mph, and porkily tried their brakes very early when approaching a corner (we could see the brake lights going on and off) so I must assume that they were feeling much more at risk than we were.
Our own roads here have not been gritted for some time, as the 2 local gritters are both broken. Again, this morning, we had a couple of occasions of lateral grip loss, but in a straight line no such problem at all. These lateral slides also felt even; it wasn't the back stepping out or the front washing away, but a definite lateral movement.
I can't tell if this is an aspect of the MG4, perhaps its weight distribution, or it's rear wheel drive, as it's decades since last I drove a rear wheel drive car, or a factor of the tyres. But it's a very specific movement.
So I would say the snow holds no fears when it comes.
It’s rear wheel drive with a default of 3 in energy recovery.

On wet cold and especially icy roads you must reduce energy recovery to 2 or 1

You must really ease off the throttle gently because otherwise it’s like doing a downshift but not rev matching.

Maybe that’s why I haven’t had any problems with the stock tyres: yes they are low rolling resistance so you notice it more than on other tyres, but no tyre will magically avoid this

If you have driven rear wheel drive cars with proper limited slip diffs you will have experienced same when downshifting but not rev matching: a sudden loss of grip of the rear tyres which means you are now fishtailing seemingly out of the blue.

This effect on the mg-4 is actually why I like driving the mg4: it’s a proper drivers car when you want it to be.

Last edited:
It’s rear wheel drive with a default of 3 in energy recovery.

On wet cold and especially icy roads you must reduce energy recovery to 2 or 1

You must really ease off the throttle gently because otherwise it’s like doing a downshift but not rev matching.

Maybe that’s why I haven’t had any problems with the stock tyres: yes they are low rolling resistance so you notice it more than on other tyres, but no tyre will magically avoid this

If you have driven rear wheel drive cars with proper limited slip diffs you will have experienced same when downshifting but not rev matching: a sudden loss of grip of the rear tyres which means you are now fishtailing seemingly out of the blue.

This effect on the mg-4 is actually why I like driving the mg4: it’s a proper drivers car when you want it to be.
Thanks for the suggestions, and indeed, it was interesting to see someone on another thread suggesting more use of snow mode, which I think would enforce your suggestions.
But I was pointing out that the car slid evenly, not fishtailing at all, which is what I would expect.
Yes, absolutely agree that the MG4 is a driver's car.

Thanks for the suggestions, and indeed, it was interesting to see someone on another thread suggesting more use of snow mode, which I think would enforce your suggestions.
But I was pointing out that the car slid evenly, not fishtailing at all, which is what I would expect.
Yes, absolutely agree that the MG4 is a driver's car.
Yeah fishtailing was a bit of an exaggeration in the case of energy recovery.
The first time it happened to me, many many moons ago, in my first proper RWD, it took me by surprise and scared the bejesus out of me.

Caliban fishtailed with me when I pulled out to overtake a van just as I was exiting a roundabout, but it seemed to right itself. I was a bit startled, even though the dealer had warned me. This was in the summer, in the stock tyres, though it might have been wet. Hasn't happened since.

Good advice about reducing the regeneration.

I remember when I first moved into this house, I still had Ariel then, and he never had winter tyres. One morning there was a couple of inches of snow, and when Ariel's front tyres met the snow on the garage threshhold they spun like mad. I think I had to do the old second-gear trick to get going. (This would have been the year after he spun off the road in black ice, miraculously landing on his wheels on a patch of grass without hitting anything and with only very minor damage to a bit of trim.)

Same situation with Caliban about ten days ago, a couple of inches of snow on the drive, drove out of the garage with no fuss. Of course Ariel was FWD, as was Prospero. It took full winter tyres to get Prospero mobile in the snow, but then he was an automatic and I don't think that helped.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back