Best All Season Tyres for MG4

My experience with the CrossClimate2 on a KIA Stonic was that they needed less pressure than the OE tyres in return giving much better economy.
I think this was due to a more even pressure distribution especially with the camber set up on the rears.
My guess is thar something similar might be true for the mg4. But YMMV
Hence why I said ‘might’.
Thanks for that. Worth trying. One question though - is the Kia not front wheel drive? That could make a difference.

Anyone else have experience of this?

That's very useful information indeed @QLeo. Although I'm not in quite the same weather firing line as you are, I'm 800 feet up, I have to drive at 1,000 feet up just to get to orchestra practice, and I definitely need something winter-ready. (I think the main difference is that I'm seldom forced on to a single-track, rough road - there's nearly always a decent alternative.)

I will be very interested to know how these tyres perform when the temperature is below freezing and there is snow or ice on the ground. Did you say how much they cost? Or if not, would you be prepared to say? I intend to go talk to my local garage about this in a few weeks (I usually change the tyres in November) as he has always supplied good quality tyres for my Golf.

That's very useful information indeed @QLeo. Although I'm not in quite the same weather firing line as you are, I'm 800 feet up, I have to drive at 1,000 feet up just to get to orchestra practice, and I definitely need something winter-ready. (I think the main difference is that I'm seldom forced on to a single-track, rough road - there's nearly always a decent alternative.)

I will be very interested to know how these tyres perform when the temperature is below freezing and there is snow or ice on the ground. Did you say how much they cost? Or if not, would you be prepared to say? I intend to go talk to my local garage about this in a few weeks (I usually change the tyres in November) as he has always supplied good quality tyres for my Golf.
I see Blackcircles has them for around £170 each, moot because they don't provide areas like ours. I paid rather more than that - around £725 for the lot. That was another good thing about dealing with a small company one trusts - they will look for "deserving cases" among their customers to repurpose the perfectly serviceable old tyres, and actually thanked me for allowing it. Makes me feel much better about it, and much better than them going to landfill.

I would have been looking at somewhere in the region of £1,000 for the new set of summer tyres the Golf needed. That was one of the reasons I decided to call it a day - to spend that much, plus whatever it would have taken to get it through its MOT next month, was beginning to look like good money after bad. It's not that bad a deal for a set of shoes for a new car that can be expected to get the wear out of them.

I would have been looking at somewhere in the region of £1,000 for the new set of summer tyres the Golf needed. That was one of the reasons I decided to call it a day - to spend that much, plus whatever it would have taken to get it through its MOT next month, was beginning to look like good money after bad. It's not that bad a deal for a set of shoes for a new car that can be expected to get the wear out of them.
Crikey. That makes me feel better.

My experience with the CrossClimate2 on a KIA Stonic was that they needed less pressure than the OE tyres in return giving much better economy.
I think this was due to a more even pressure distribution especially with the camber set up on the rears.
My guess is thar something similar might be true for the mg4. But YMMV
Hence why I said ‘might’.
I was intrigued by the idea of softer tyres for efficiency. And someone on Mastodon confirmed it - but I fear the studies were with regard to bicycle tyres. I've done a fairly extensive internet search - perhaps a dozen articles - and can confirm the concept for bicycles, where the tyres are typically at 5-6 bar, but for cars, every recommendation is not only not to have under-inflated tyres, but that over-inflated tyres do nothing for economy, and can be dangerous. There were quite a few tests, with varying degrees of formality, showing not advantage to over-inflated tyres, and some disadvantages. I could not find any tests on under-inflated tyres, all recommendations saying it's A Bad Thing.
So the upshot is to stick to recommended pressures.
An interesting concept re the bicycle tyres though, for reasons that did not seem intuitive, but seem to be the case in practice, if the tyres are large enough.
I checked to see if Goodyear suggested different pressures to MG, but they say to follow the manufacturer's recommendation.

Thanks for that. Worth trying. One question though - is the Kia not front wheel drive? That could make a difference.

Anyone else have experience of this?
Indeed the Stonic is FWD.
But I had an RX-8 too which had perfect 50:50 weight distribution and was RWD and benefitted again from slightly lower pressures than recommended.
It might also be that the Crossclimate2 have a softer tread that benefits from more even distribution and what not.
I generally keep tyres 0.1 to 0.2 bar under recommended.

I sim race now after failed attempts at becoming a racing driver. And in simulations you set the tyre pressure based on operating temperature not on some arbitrary baseline.
Recommended pressures are just that in my books. And in my experience 0.1 0.2 bar under or over can make a difference in every day driving without being dangerous.

My experience with the 1st version of crossclimates were that they were very prone to aquaplaning (this was on a VW Tiguan - 1676 Kg - £200+ / tyre), never experienced snow in 16 years, so cant comment in snow conditions, although they did have a soft compound so were probably better in winter than summer tyres, but I wouldn't buy them again.

Indeed the Stonic is FWD.
But I had an RX-8 too which had perfect 50:50 weight distribution and was RWD and benefitted again from slightly lower pressures than recommended.
It might also be that the Crossclimate2 have a softer tread that benefits from more even distribution and what not.
I generally keep tyres 0.1 to 0.2 bar under recommended.

I sim race now after failed attempts at becoming a racing driver. And in simulations you set the tyre pressure based on operating temperature not on some arbitrary baseline.
Recommended pressures are just that in my books. And in my experience 0.1 0.2 bar under or over can make a difference in every day driving without being dangerous.
Thanks for this.

Could you fill in the marketing speak part? If I go to my garage and say that, he'll laugh.
:) The full name is Goodyear Vector 4Seasons Gen-3. Yes, they use the mixture of numbers and characters like that. OK, vector's a good word to use for tyres, as long as no-one thinks it means "to scoot off at a tangent" :) I bet your garage will know what you mean if you said that though!

My experience with the 1st version of crossclimates were that they were very prone to aquaplaning (this was on a VW Tiguan - 1676 Kg - £200+ / tyre), never experienced snow in 16 years, so cant comment in snow conditions, although they did have a soft compound so were probably better in winter than summer tyres, but I wouldn't buy them again.
What concerned me when doing my desk evaluation was that the Cross Climates, while good at many of the tests, did not seem to me to be clear leaders, yet so many tests named them "Best tyre" anyway. On one blind test, the tester stated he could not subjectively tell the difference between Michelin's Kleber subsidiary's tyres and the Cross Climates, and discussed this, saying (news to me) that it was not surprising as Kleber were really just Michelins in another guise. Yet he placed the Kleber way down in comparison.

This seemed to be the case in several tests I could find, and made me wonder about the real value of the headline "best tyre"-style badges. I can't say the tests are rigged, but the conclusions may well be, erm, how can I put this, driven by the zeitgeist. It's much better to look at the details of the tests and decide for oneself, and seeing, this I quickly discounted the Michelins as not necessarily suiting our requirements.

I promised to report back when I had a little more info on the Goodyear tyres I recently fitted to Goth Leo. Apart from the first trip home, recently we have mostly been nipping in to the village and back and we know from previous trips, the efficiency varies a lot on thoose trips, for reasons we have yet to understand.

Today we had to go to Ullapool, 40-45 miles away. This is a trip that absolutely hammered consumption in our previous ICE cars. It's hilly, sometimes, very steeply hilly, very twisty-turny. Over the summer, the absolute best I managed was the car flipping to 4.0 miles/kWHr from 3.9 just as we got into the 20mph zone at the bottom of the big hill dropping down into Ullapool. Most times, I accepted, if not being happy, that we could expect about 3.9 on that trip.

Today was cold and we had the heating on. It was also rainy most of the way and roads were very wet all the way. And at the bottom of the hill as we arrived inn Ullapool, the car was on 3.4miles/kWHr. Not great but not bad either. On the way back it was slightly warmer, and we got 3.7. So at the moment, all we can say is that there may be a slight economy penalty with the Goodyears, but it's not marked.

We will be doing a longer trip of several hundred miles next week so will get a better idea of colder weather economy on these tyres.

But I should add that the car is much more certain on these tyres, especially in the wetter weather. I recall that first test drive and being amazed at how glued to the road the car was, how you could throw it into the corners and all that would happen is the car shouting "More! More!" Well, any suggestion of understeer is gone, and the car tracks absolutely certainly into corners, especially on our poor roads. If you hot bumps in corners, with the factory tyres, you expected to make corrections, or bounce a little with the corners force. Well today it almost felt as though something was missing from the expected ride. And the tyres are a lot quieter too; there is less change in road noise from smooth to pebbled stretches of road.

This is a bit of a relief, as one doesn't know what effect new tyres will have. Often in ICE cars, there is little one can feel*, but there really was a large, noticeable, positive change in the way the car handles. I am still not saying this will suit everyone, as we have specific reasons for needing these tyres, but I am reporting what we have found.

It looks as though there are several threads here about tyres, so in the interest of completeness, I will try to remember to post the results of the longer trip next week. It's due to be a lot colder for that trip, which will be 500-600 miles.

(* - My lovely old Land Rover, which I had from new, a 200) MY Heritage special edition, came with BFG All-Terrains. I got 88000 out of the first set, and we moved north during the second set, where I found that roads here damaged tyres in a way that made running BFGs unsustainable. As a stopgap, I fitted remoulds - I can't for the life of me remember the name, but it was a Spanish company. My goodness, what a difference. Until then I hadn't realised something could be done about the understeer. The car was far more secure on the road, and the tread pattern virtually the same as the BFGs. They didn't last as long, but were 1/3 of the price.)

Thanks for the write up ... useful info. Did you just swap tyres on the same alloys ? ....so there were no TPMS errors / warnings ?
Yes, we just replaced the factory tyres. I left the process to the tyre fitters, a small business rather than a chain, and who I trust. I have had no TPMS issues (touches bonce) and I have checked pressures both on the dash and via iSmart.

Yes, we just replaced the factory tyres. I left the process to the tyre fitters, a small business rather than a chain, and who I trust. I have had no TPMS issues (touches bonce) and I have checked pressures both on the dash and via iSmart.
Do you know if there was any foam inserts, as with the EV6?

That's all extremely useful and I think I will be having a chat with Andrew at Manor Garage about this next week.

I'm not desperately fussed about range because I can only dream about the sort of range you're getting. I can only assume it's these narrow, twisty, slow roads you have.

Last edited:
My apologies for reviving this thread but I did promise to report back once we'd done some miles on the new Goodyears. This last week, we had a trip south to Glasgow and back which I thought would give us a good indicator of things like efficiency etc. But we are now in the season of weather changes, so forming a like-for-like efficiency comparison with the factory fitted tyres may have to wait for next year. But these are our findings:

The first issue was that Storm Babet was starting to clear her throat the day we drove south. The wind seemed to be against us no matter what direction we were traveling. The first measure was home to Ullapool, which is a tough journey we know if hard to achieve 4.0miles/kWHr. The car was heavily loaded - probably close to 300kg of knitting yarn, our stuff for a week etc, and 2 of us on board. Ullapool found us at 3.7. Not great, but given the weather not bad either.
We stopped at Fort Augustus for coffee and to try a cheaper charger we found at one of the hotels and for coffee and a bun. We did the trip from Fort Augustus to Fort William in the summer and if I recall we were happy to get 4.5. By the time we got through Fort William, we were averaging 4.3, so I was very happy. We then started up Glencoe towards Rannoch Moor, and Babet was singing in full voice, straight on the nose. By the time got to the heights above Tyndrum, the efficiency had dropped off to 3.2. That was disappointing, but the weather really was wild. Back at home the weather station started measuring gusts in excess of 70mph. We gained a little on the stretch to Killin, but this was obviously not a representative trip.
The following day, it bucketed with rain. We averaged about 4.0 into Glasgow but the main thing was the performance of the tyres in the wet. I had full confidence in the car.
A few days in the heart of The Dear Green Place for the wool show and we were off again, just to Stirling yesterday. The high winds and rain had gone, to be replaced but cold. We woke this morning and we found a bank of chargers at a park and ride literally across the road from the hotel, so I took the car across for a splash and dash (volt and bolt?)
That meant several minutes of scraping ice from the windows first and once the car was on charge, I saw the temperature on the iSmart app was -1°C, because, you know it's just too handy to have that information on the main screen...
The first 10-15 miles from Stirling, I wondered if we'd manage even 2.5miles/kWHr. Obviously we were using the heater. But it started improving. It's been a bitterly cold day all day, but we arrived home with the car at 3.7miles/kWHr. All things considered, that seemed OK. What do you think?
Back to the tyres in general. The one thing we were discussing was that, at 70mph on the motorway, the car was very quiet. There was none of the drone the probably ride of the factory tyres set up that to be honest I was finding a chore.
The car was also much easier to handle in the wind. One of the first things we noticed when the car was new was that it needed care in the wind. That's less so now.
All in all, I think it's been worth while, even though the Goodyears aren't cheap.

Whew. I was worried you were going to say they weren't so good after all, because I have a set on order and they're being fitted on Friday. (Not exactly the same, but Andrew said it was merely a slight difference in tread pattern. It was what he could get.)

Your fuel economy always seems amazingly good to me and I don't really aspire to emulate it. I want good grip, including in snow (hasn't appeared yet), and hopefully lack of tyre noise. Sounds very encouraging.

Whew. I was worried you were going to say they weren't so good after all, because I have a set on order and they're being fitted on Friday. (Not exactly the same, but Andrew said it was merely a slight difference in tread pattern. It was what he could get.)

Your fuel economy always seems amazingly good to me and I don't really aspire to emulate it. I want good grip, including in snow (hasn't appeared yet), and hopefully lack of tyre noise. Sounds very encouraging.
:) That's a very kind way of telling me to stop obsessing about efficiency! Sorry about that. It's just that, as we can't charge at home, and most journeys are long ones*, it feels important to keep on top of it.
Someone on Mastodon, who drives another type of EV, can't remember what, assured me he saw no efficiency drop with the Goodyears, which gave me the confidence to make the swap. Then someone here (was it you @tsedge ?) said they'd used the Goodyears to good effect. But yes, the performance of the car on the new tyres, and the fact that they are so much quieter, really is noticeable. I hope you are happy with them when your new tyres arrive. Less grippy winter conditions certainly now hold far fewer terrors.

* - we need to do a shop this week. That's a 140 mile round trip to our nearest preferred supermarkets, excepting the 90 mile round trip to the nearest manky tesco

I'm not telling you to stop obsessing about efficiency at all! It's all good information. I'm assuming it's the way I drive, but I'm not always tearing around like Jehu, and I never get the figures some people report. Maybe you're all just terribly good at hypermiling!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back