Best to drive, MG5 or ZS, opinions ?

Kithmo

Distinguished Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Just taken SWMBO's MG5 (SR) in for the KERS brake light recall this morning and I must say how much better the 5 drives than my ZS, more efficient, smoother, sharper handling, more comfortable seats etc.
I was thinking of upgrading to the LR ZS maybe next year, but now I'm thinking maybe the facelift MG5 LR might be a better option ?
Anyone else had or driven both and think differently ?

Just taken SWMBO's MG5 (SR) in for the KERS brake light recall this morning and I must say how much better the 5 drives than my ZS, more efficient, smoother, sharper handling, more comfortable seats etc.
I was thinking of upgrading to the LR ZS maybe next year, but now I'm thinking maybe the facelift MG5 LR might be a better option ?
We owned the gen 1 ZS for one year and replaced it in October with a MG5 LR . I have also done 2 test drives in a ZS LR and I'm happy to share my opinion.

For handling, drive quality and comfort I'd rank the MG5 LR the best and very marginally better than the ZS LR, which is a step up from the gen 1 ZS. I think much of the difference is down to the MG5 being more car-like than the SUV style of the ZS. Seat comfort on the ZS LR and MG5 are on a par but the MG5 has lumbar support.

We have the first Gen ZS and the long range 5.
We both rate the ZS far more comfy than the 5. Not that the 5 is uncomfy for me
it,s just the ZS is better. Obviously it is different for each individual.
The ZS is a softer ride, which again we find better, plus it's what you should expect
from an SUV.
The biggest "problem" we both find on the 5 is that even with the steering wheel pulled out as far as it will go, our feet are still too close to the pedals so the left knee far too high.
The 5 ride is firmer but not uncomfortably so. I think the which is best is down to personal
preference, neither are bad cars, in fact they are awesome.
But if we could we would definitely swap the MG5 LR for the ZS LR.

I had the Gen 1 for a year and loved every moment with it, but I swapped to the 5LR for the extra range (in fact it was to use the heating/aircon without worrying about range). I believe I made the right decision. The 5 is so much nicer to drive and to be in.
The shape of the interior of the ZS to me was a bit like a big barren box with seats in. The front is a flat slab of a dashboard, massive expanse of flat door sides, ....no character, but as I said I loved it, I just love the 5 more. :)

Nice thread this Kithmo, I was think of doing something along these lines myself now that we have the LR Zs and hopefully the new style and upgraded 5 coming maybe this year but I’m also keeping an eye on the BYD cars that could also get here 22/23 but very good to see the replies so far.
Les

I had Gen 1 ZS Exclusive and did over 30’000 miles in 15 months mainly motorway driving. I took it in for 2nd service and test drove MG5 LR. I found the drive much better, handling better and better miles per kw. I miss the glass roof and the floor is a bit high and it’s a wee bit tricky to get a perfect driving position.
I think overall and with the extra range the MG5 exclusive is a better car especially on motorways
I’ve not tested the new gen 2 ZS so can’t comment on that.
I got it for £26k so it would be another £6k ish to have got the new ZS LR and felt it was a bit pricey.

Having done a test drive in the Gen 1 ZS I would agree, even though I was only in the car for a short space of time. It was easy to get comfortable in the ZS- the 5 is definitely more of a challenge but the steering wheel adjustment does help a lot in that regard. However the ride in the 5 is definitely better in my opinion, and the shape makes it more aerodynamic so it makes sense that it is more efficient. I might have been tempted to hold out for the next generation ZS with the app and increased range, but I needed the boot space in the 5 so it was a no-brainer. As regards your left foot being too bent in the 5, I agree that is a bit of an issue. It seems to me that the foot rest has been brought forward unnecessarily- it could have done with being a few inches further back.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom