Better headlights

Tarkatrail

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I own a MG ZS EV Exclusive reg WA70 and the headlights are awful. I’ve put in Osram Night Breakers (halogen) but they’re still dreadfully dull compared to the LEDs on my last car.
Has anyone had the same problem and had any success finding better bulbs?
I’m basically looking for the whitest, brightest bulb that’s road legal.
Any advice gratefully received. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, the night breakers are probably the best you will legally fit but some people have fitted leds.
Pop a few words in the search bar.

I own a MG ZS EV Exclusive reg WA70 and the headlights are awful. I’ve put in Ostam Night Breakers (halogen) but they’re still dreadfully dull compared to the LEDs on my last car.
Road legal no, but 100w off-road bulbs do a great job { used successfully last 3cars, never failed an MOT } who`s going to wrestle with modern headlight fittings to check bulbs?

I wouldn't get too hung up on the legality of LEDs. My Volt has passed 6 years of MOTs with "illegal" LEDs fitted. On that car the standard fit bulbs are straight up dangerous.

I own a MG ZS EV Exclusive reg WA70 and the headlights are awful. I’ve put in Ostam Night Breakers (halogen) but they’re still dreadfully dull compared to the LEDs on my last car.
Hi. Just bought our MG ZS Exclusive, and drove it home from Chester (270 miles - lots of charging needed, but that’s probably better on another thread).
Wonderful car, in 1st impressions, but as mentioned, my vision was drastically reduced as it went dark and I hit the country lanes 😬.
I will be changing the standard bulbs, but can someone tell what fittings I need?
Also, any thoughts on the Philips 12V HB3 X-treme Vision Pro150?

I wouldn't get too hung up on the legality of LEDs. My Volt has passed 6 years of MOTs with "illegal" LEDs fitted. On that car the standard fit bulbs are straight up dangerous.
How about the danger you cause dazzling oncoming traffic and particularly bikers.

they are illegal because of the effect on other drivers.

How about the danger you cause dazzling oncoming traffic and particularly bikers.

No, they're illegal because they don't have an "E" mark on them because of the prohibitive cost (barrier to entry) of the testing

Hi. Just bought our MG ZS Exclusive, and drove it home from Chester (270 miles - lots of charging needed, but that’s probably better on another thread).
Wonderful car, in 1st impressions, but as mentioned, my vision was drastically reduced as it went dark and I hit the country lanes 😬.
I will be changing the standard bulbs, but can someone tell what fittings I need?
Also, any thoughts on the Philips 12V HB3 X-treme Vision Pro150?
It must be the original Gen1 model ?.
The head lights ( in their standard form ) only give off a yellowish coloured type of light 💡.
You could upgrade to night breakers that others have seen as a big improvement over the factory bulb, or you could go full on LED bulbs.
The LED’s are officially seen as a MOT failure ( if spotted ).
The Gen2 facelift model has a much better LED head light system.

It must be the original Gen1 model ?.
The head lights ( in their standard form ) only give off a yellowish coloured type of light 💡.
You could upgrade to night breakers that others have seen as a big improvement over the factory bulb, or you could go full on LED bulbs.
The LED’s are officially seen as a MOT failure ( if spotted ).
The Gen2 facelift model has a much better LED head light system.
Yes, it is a gen 1. Like driving with a couple of 🕯️🕯️ 😉

Yes, it is a gen 1. Like driving with a couple of 🕯️🕯️ 😉
I think if you have been driving another car fitted with the better LED units etc, you will spot the difference in the head light performance straight away in the ZS EV Gen1.
We moved from a Golf Mk7 PHEV into the ZS EV Gen 1 BEV in 2019.
The first time we used the MG at night, I thought we where just running on the side lights TBH !.
The light is very yellow in its appearance for a modern day car.

So can I get a brighter bulb in Halfords to replace the yellow, dim (compared to LEDs) headlamp bulb for ZS EV Gen 1?
You can find them on-line at Amazon / Euro Car Parts and on Ebay.
Here is just one of the suggested upgrades that people have gone for.
Even these will be a lot brighter and whiter that the stock factory bulbs TBH.

So why do most manufacturers fit them as standard?.
still personally hate the painful glare/dazzle they produce. o_O(n)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom