Bike rack help

If MG say no surly your open to voiding the guarantee by wiring in a socket for the lights. As bike carriers on a tow bar still require lights and a number plate.

You should be able to fit something as a bike carrier, not for use for towing. No different to the something that straps onto your boot lid.
Any more clarification on the link you posted? Did you speak to them or just view the website?

Any more clarification on the link you posted? Did you speak to them or just view the website?
I don’t have an MG5 anymore.

These people also might be worth contacting..

They mention the older MG ZS EV, so might be able to do something for the MG5.

This company make custom tow bars…

I have used them before.

If MG say no surly your open to voiding the guarantee by wiring in a socket for the lights. As bike carriers on a tow bar still require lights and a number plate.
My understanding, from a policeman who stopped me a couple of years ago with a bike on a rear carrier on a different car, was that only the number plate is required as the cameras can't read the number through the spokes/pedals/etc, but so long as the lights were not obscured there was no need for an illuminated bar. ie being able to see the lights through the spokes is ok.

He stopped me because my number plate had fallen off the bike (or more accurately I had forgotten to put it on ;))

Hi rogerco you must have a typo in you post (1970 5SR)
Yep sorry - I meant 70 reg of course
yeh we are taking about the same bar behind the rear grill effect and you could be correct in asumming the threaded holes in it could be for a towing eye, have to admit I hadn’t thought of that point, but if so why do MG say the vehicle is not rated for towing or the fitting of a towing equipment
As I said there is only one threaded hole on mine offset to the right. I suspect more accurately it is not intended for towing but for pulling.
Knock out the cut out and fit a threaded eye in the hole to attach a wire to drag the dead car backwards onto a trailer, or to use for tow starting an ICE with a flat battery.

Many (?most) cars do have a fixing point for a tow/pull rope/wire under both front and rear bumpers. When my old Clio died the recovery guy simply went straight to where he expected to eye to be and clipped on his winch line to get it onto his trailer.

Looking at the front of my 5 I see there is a similar popout underneath the driver's side headlight which I suspect may have the corresponding thread to fit a threaded eye bolt (I haven't popped it out 'cos I know I'll never get it back in properly and it'll be forever falling out again)

I suspect these fixing points may be a requirement in some territories? Anyway no use for attaching a tow-bar to the 5 as they are offset. But the rear transverse bar would be suitable for clamping something to.

Roger

My understanding, from a policeman who stopped me a couple of years ago with a bike on a rear carrier on a different car, was that only the number plate is required as the cameras can't read the number through the spokes/pedals/etc, but so long as the lights were not obscured there was no need for an illuminated bar. ie being able to see the lights through the spokes is ok.

He stopped me because my number plate had fallen off the bike (or more accurately I had forgotten to put it on ;))
I think you will find anything across the lights could be interpreted as an obstruction and lead to a ticket by the police if they feel like it, I'm more bothered by this. Fitting a tow bar is a modification and any modification needs to be declared to your insurance company and if the manufacturer says it's not suitable for a towbar what will the insurance company do should there be an accident.

I think you will find anything across the lights could be interpreted as an obstruction and lead to a ticket by the police if they feel like it, I'm more bothered by this. Fitting a tow bar is a modification and any modification needs to be declared to your insurance company and if the manufacturer says it's not suitable for a towbar what will the insurance company do should there be an accident.
I think we are talking about fitting a cycle rack carrier, not a tow bar? There would be no intention to tow anything. Even so, if there are no suitable mounting points then even that would be out.

Are we saying we have to inform the insurance company if we fit any sort of bike carrier?

Last edited:
Looking at the link to the ZS towbar above I notice the following (below) in the comments, etowbars is the site selling it.
Looking at their fitting instructions and the associated drawing it seems that in the ZS they are actually replacing the cross member at the rear (called the buffer beam in their instructions). I don't think you could do this on the 5 as the centre of the bumper is attached to and supported from the cross beam. But an alternative design could be achieved. If the threaded hole is capable of pulling the vehicle then the cross member should be strong enough, but whether the fixings will support a vertical load rather than a horizontal pull is a moot point. Probably ok.

The ZS towbar is actually a Thule/Brink item (part no 6899...) and costs about £750.

You could more easily make quite a smart unit by hacking an existing roof bike carrier and supporting it at both ends from the cross member...a couple of clamps and swannecks for the supports and use the upstands from the roof carrier.

=======================

Paul:
25/06/2021, 12:26:45 PM
My NZ mg dealer says the MG is not 'type approved' for a towbar and also any interference with any wiring will void all warranty. I need a towbar not for towing, but for carrying my e-bike. I don't need a wiring connection. Can you direct me to statements from MG SAIC indicating that it approves the use of your towbar for bike carrying only and will not affect the warranty on the car? Thank you Paul

etowbars:
10/07/2021, 08:52:56 PM
A towbar is classified as an accessory and does not make any changes to the functioning of the vehicle. We are frustrated by some dealers implying only their products/spare parts should be used or the whole warranty is void. Dealers love to make money from spare parts and servicing. Contrary to what some dealers imply, all Consumer departments incl ACCC's guidance clearly states: the car manufacturer's warranty cannot be voided if you do not use dealer parts! When pushed, dealer's do clarify that it'd only be the actual part that wouldn't be covered by warranty rather than the whole warranty being voided. It is up to them to prove that an accessory has caused an actual fault. Obviously, non-tow rated vehicles cannot tow, if you do tow, you may damage the chassis and probably void the warranty - pulling even 750kgs with a non-rated vehicle will cause damage. As for carrying bikes with a non-tow rated vehicle. The chassis can handle additional weight as specified in your owners manual - if MG allows 75kgs on the roof/chassis then 75kgs on the towball is exactly the same. If you fit roof racks and carry bikes - is your warranty also void?
d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e

etowbars:
10/07/2021, 08:55:58 PM
Our MG bike-towbar has a notch on the ball - you cannot tow a trailer even if you wanted to - wonder how the dealer would void your warranty if the accessory does not enable towing, only for use with a bike carrier.

Having towed for many years, only thing I'd add is that usually a vehicle will have a rated 'nose weight' which, as much for trailer/outfit stability, is also there to protect the vehicle and prevent overloading the rear axle and it's components.

I'd be interested to see the effects of adding 50kg of bikes a fair way behind the rear axle, especially as the 5 has relatively soft suspension, and how much weight this takes off the front wheels as well as how close the body comes to the bump stops. You may find the steering becomes quite light as there isn't a huge engine under the bonnet to keep the nose down any more.

Also don't underestimate the forces involved if you do go about modifying something to fit, think going over speed bumps etc. where the bikes effectively get thrown up in the air then come back down.

Also don't underestimate the forces involved if you do go about modifying something to fit, think going over speed bumps etc. where the bikes effectively get thrown up in the air then come back down.

That's nowhere near as the great as the force caused by the moment produced by a trailer when you change speed or go over a speed bump. But your point is valid - the load capacity of the MG5 is relatively small and designed to be within the car so even a relatively small load will have a big effect. It is a pity that MG don't offer a solution.

I think we are talking about fitting a cycle rack carrier, not a tow bar? There would be no intention to tow anything. Even so, if there are no suitable mounting points then even that would be out.

Are we saying we have to inform the insurance company if we fit any sort of bike carrier?
Just putting some film on your window as in tinting you have to inform them. I assume fitting a towbar even if its not strictly towing requires welding or screwing onto the metal bodywork. So it is a modification at the end of the day. Any modification to the original design of the car you have to declare and for whatever reason most EV's don't allow it yet.

The declaration bit is spot on any modification for any car including wheels should be notified to your insurance company. My guess is you will have to convince them the towbar is not for towing good luck with that one.

The declaration bit is spot on any modification for any car including wheels should be notified to your insurance company. My guess is you will have to convince them the towbar is not for towing good luck with that one.
It’s not the fact you are fitting a tow bar or window film that is a problem. Those type of “accessories” they have to know about because if you have an accident they have to return the car to you in the condition it was before an accident. There is a cost to them that would be additional to the normal repair/replace cost because they have to cover the cost of the “accessories”. For things like wheels and suspension parts, that affects the cars performance so they add cost to cover the extra risk.

Adding a tow hitch for a bike carrier is not a performance enhancing device. They would add a charge to cover its value because they would have to replace it if damaged.

Sorry mike the thread is not talking about performance here more about safety as the vehicle is not rated by the manufacturer for a tow bar to be fitted end of.
Les
I thought the OP wanted to fit a cycle carrier, not a towbar. My insurance company has never had an issue (The AA), with me telling them I am fitting a bracket onto the rear of the car that has a tow hitch that I can attach my cycle carrier to, and not used for towing. But maybe other insurance companies take a different view. You just have to ask rather than speculate.

I thought the OP wanted to fit a cycle carrier, not a towbar. My insurance company has never had an issue (The AA), with me telling them I am fitting a bracket onto the rear of the car that has a tow hitch that I can attach my cycle carrier to, and not used for towing. But maybe other insurance companies take a different view. You just have to ask rather than speculate.
Just like I said you have to inform them of anything added and then you will have to convince them you won't tow with it even though that's what it will be designed for. Would be really interesting to hear from someone who has done it and got insurance approval.

Just like I said you have to inform them of anything added and then you will have to convince them you won't tow with it even though that's what it will be designed for. Would be really interesting to hear from someone who has done it and got insurance approval.
Clearly you don’t get what I am saying. But never mind.

I am sure the OP will find a way to carry his bike. It will fit in the back of an MG5 with the seats down :)

That's how I transport mine, I think some people don't realize you have to tell your insurance company even for changing wheels, it could make the car more desirable to scum who might nick it or parts off the car. Also not to manufacturers spec would give insurance companies a possible way out of paying any claim. My point would be you always need to talk to your insurance company as what was acceptable 10 minutes ago might not be now.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom