Bit Of Fun On A Tuesday.

Any gas pipelines that's can't be seen by the helicopter, or has building work appearing nearby, is inspected by "line walkers" .
They do a check to see if all is Ok and no encroachment near the pipes.

I've been told it's a great job when in the countryside as long as the bull doesn't spot you.

I saw a bunch of helicopters
Chase a Highland coo
It was standing on a pipeline
And didn’t know what to do

So I was sent to investigate
And shift the silly moo
I walked right up and told it
To shift it ‘s ass the noo

But it turned and stared
And I felt such a fool
For it wasn’t a coo by god
The dam thing was a BULL !

OK, I realised from the context of the links I was following that the real marker is the wee concrete thing, which I hadn't really paid any attention to - the flashy hats are only for the helicopters.

1712673212365.png

So does the fact that it says "high pressure" mean that it is gas after all? I think that was the first response I got when I asked, although because I knew there was no mains gas in the villages round there I thought it was unlikely. It's also slightly odd that it leaves the river valley and strikes off across the hills at this point, but hey, what do I know.

I remember a Shell advert ages ago that had a picture of a lovely valley - nearly as nice as this one - saying surely nobody would ever put a gas (or oil, don't remember) pipeline through this? Then the punchline was "We already did!" True, if it wasn't for the shocking-pink markers, you wouldn't notice a thing.

OK, I realised from the context of the links I was following that the real marker is the wee concrete thing, which I hadn't really paid any attention to - the flashy hats are only for the helicopters.

View attachment 25592

So does the fact that it says "high pressure" mean that it is gas after all? I think that was the first response I got when I asked, although because I knew there was no mains gas in the villages round there I thought it was unlikely. It's also slightly odd that it leaves the river valley and strikes off across the hills at this point, but hey, what do I know.

I remember a Shell advert ages ago that had a picture of a lovely valley - nearly as nice as this one - saying surely nobody would ever put a gas (or oil, don't remember) pipeline through this? Then the punchline was "We already did!" True, if it wasn't for the shocking-pink markers, you wouldn't notice a thing.
Yes it’s sometimes a bit worrying what’s lurking below your feet. When you see pictures of the pipelines strung across other countries it’s better out of sight. Especially as you say in the bonnier glens - all of them let’s face it 🤩
I’m a bit nonplussed when I google the WGEP bit on the sign though Women’s Global Education Project.
What the heck IS GOING through them pipes 🤷‍♂️

WGEP (Wilton to Grangemouth Ethylene Pipeline) ... The Wilton to Grangemouth Ethylene Pipeline is a high pressure pipeline transporting ethylene from Wilton Site ...

Seems lots of stuff could be down there ?

That’s gas

I've worked at both of those sites. :)

Wilton used to be mainly an ICI site, but these days the major site user is SABIC. Grangemouth used to be BP, and then the Chemicals side was bought by Jim Ratcliffe and branded as INEOS. Nowadays INEOS own the entire Grangemouth site.

I wonder how low they fly? I was surprised by how difficult it was to pick out the markers on the aerial views, although they're very obvious from the ground.

There is no legal minimum altitude for flying a helicopter. However, pilots must ensure that their flight does not create a hazard to persons or properties on the ground.

Thanks must obviously go to Google.

Even if it is oil it will be under enormous pressure. Up to 1500psi (Ex Esso)

The orange hats are targeting markers for Putin's missiles, ( coming soon to a town near you ) , wish I'd known this before getting a Fizzy Orange one. Too much!!!!! o_O o_O

Don't worry m8.

They dont need orange markers.

All our vital infrastructure, up and down the country already has many Nuclear Warheads with the coordinates Pre programmed in, ready and waiting for when the Lunatic actually presses the button.

And on that Cheery note, it's back to The Chase! 🤣

Ethylene. Well, now we know.

The very first person I asked said "gas pipeline" but couldn't really explain what it was doing there when the surrounding villages don't have mains gas.

Every day is a school day.

If they close Grangemouth, will they just let the infrastructure rot, then?

I work in the calibration industry, and you can have both liquid (hydraulic) and gases (pneumatic) at high pressure. Liquid is safer at high pressure, any puncture will just mean you get covered in whatever it is, but any kind of gas at high pressure can result in explosive release, even if it's inert. We had an accident once where a dial gauge being calibrated (the sort you see in old Victorian pump houses) released its pressure at 400 bar (that's around 5800 psi), and showered our operator with the glass from the display and from the protective housing we had it in. Fortunately no serious injury, but his face was covered in cuts.

Well, that's not high pressure. Unpleasant, but not high pressure. :) I didn't say that being covered would be a good thing, and there may of course be subsequent problems such as flammability, but we have fewer concerns with hydraulic units than we do with pneumatic when we're calibrating. Bear in mind that we are often working at what the public would call exceptionally high pressure.

Last edited:
Well, that's not high pressure. Unpleasant, but not high pressure. :) I didn't say that being covered would be a good thing, and there may of course be subsequent problems such as flammability, but we have fewer concerns with hydraulic units than we do with pneumatic when we're calibrating. Bear in mind that we are often working at what the public would call exceptionally high pressure.
Yeah, it's just when you said getting covered in it, it reminded me of that video. :) Couldn't resist it.

If it's ethylene and there's a leak and it comes out in copious quantities, would that be polyethylene and so would be like being covered in clingfilm? And no, I'm not being serious! As if!!! :D
Surely if it was polyethylene it would be covered in parrots and not clingfilm :unsure:

Folk in ice cars

Come, pity those poor peasants
They know not what they do
For once, like them, in ignorance
We burned the oil too
Given time to come around
I’m sure they’ll see the light
And prod that right hand pedal
And enjoy a helluva fright
They’ll see in that split second
What we’ve known all along
Electric power’s nicer stuff
And of course it does’na pong
They’ll then return in pious mode
For they’re forever right
Spouting they were biding time
Or some such other …?…absolute nonsense

Aha we’ve found his weakness folks 🤩
That’s a wrap
Not so quick young Archev, if there were parrots surely they would fly away (Monty Python notwithstanding) and therefore they would be polygon! Stand down Rolfe, he is back, 25 yard half volley, top corner. :ROFLMAO:

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom