Bit Of Fun On A Tuesday.

The sensors on it are:
  • Wind speed & direction (the 3 "prongs" on the top are an ultrasonic wind sensor).
  • The slatted "cylinder on the lower arm will contain a temperature & humidity sensor.
  • I'm not sure what the box on the other lower arm is, it could be an air quality sensor.
  • The box on the upper arm with two "eyes" looks like a visibility sensor (it measures back reflection from mist/cloud/fog/smoke etc).
  • The "camera", my guess is an infrared thermometer measuring the road surface temperature. So yes it probably is an ice sensor.
You see these towers all over the road network, basically a mini weather station.

Well , that's this weeks choccies gone , maybe week 3 will be easier? :D
Ah.
Soz.
I don't believe choccies were on offer.

After the last debacle and moaning, I didn't think anyone deserved a prize! 🤣

The sensors on it are:
  • Wind speed & direction (the 3 "prongs" on the top are an ultrasonic wind sensor).
  • The slatted "cylinder on the lower arm will contain a temperature & humidity sensor.
  • I'm not sure what the box on the other lower arm is, it could be an air quality sensor.
  • The box on the upper arm with two "eyes" looks like a visibility sensor (it measures back reflection from mist/cloud/fog/smoke etc).
  • The "camera", my guess is an infrared thermometer measuring the road surface temperature. So yes it probably is an ice sensor.
You see these towers all over the road network, basically a mini weather station.

Cheers M8

I thought It was weather/climate related, but not sure why.

👍

I thought It was weather/climate related, but not sure why.
That's what they want you to think. The one top left that looks like a monkeys face, is a combined infrared/visible light camera so they're tracking our every move 😬.

According to a mate, bottom left is a forward scatter visibility sensor and top right monitors ice and depth of water on the road. Cameras are probably just to verify what the instruments say.

That's what they want you to think. The one top left that looks like a monkeys face, is a combined infrared/visible light camera so they're tracking our every move 😬.

According to a mate, bottom left is a forward scatter visibility sensor and top right monitors ice and depth of water on the road. Cameras are probably just to verify what the instruments say.
Having looked more closely I agree, the monkeys face is a dual camera (a Mobotix?).
Bottom left, is also probably a visibility sensor, it's hard to make out but if you magnify the rear view is the best angle...
1712526742258.png

Though it could also conceivably be an optical rain gauge (which also uses forward scatter measurement).

EDIT: And there you have it, a visibility sensor

Having looked more closely I agree, the monkeys face is a dual camera (a Mobotix?).
Bottom left, is also probably a visibility sensor, it's hard to make out but if you magnify the rear view is the best angle...
View attachment 25539
Though it could also conceivably be an optical rain gauge (which also uses forward scatter measurement).

EDIT: And there you have it, a visibility sensor
I see.

I'm going to hijack Bricktop's thread to see if I can get an answer to something that's been intriguing me for years. What is this?

1712593108332.png

They're all over the damn landscape, seeming to mark trails across the fields. Here is a representative view - you can see two easily, and the third if you look carefully.

1712593236040.png

In this case the row seems to follow the river (the Lyne in this case) but the first post is by the roadside where the line seems to take off across the hills. I've seen new ones appear where there were none before, and I've seen old and faded ones replaced.

Nobody I've spoken to has anything more than idle speculation. They look as if they're markers for an aircraft of some sort (a helicopter?) to be able to follow the line of something, but what? Someone said gas main, but there is no gas main there. Electricity main? More plausible, but the way it takes off up the hill is strange if it was that.

My guess was markers to facilitate aerial mapping, but the odd thing is that they're barely visible at all in either the OS or the Google aerial views. You can spot one that you know is there, but if you didn't, it would just look like yet another sheep. And despite them being so obvious from ground level, they are not marked on the OS maps.

Anyone know what they are?

I'm going to hijack Bricktop's thread to see if I can get an answer to something that's been intriguing me for years. What is this?

View attachment 25574

They're all over the damn landscape, seeming to mark trails across the fields. Here is a representative view - you can see two easily, and the third if you look carefully.

View attachment 25575

In this case the row seems to follow the river (the Lyne in this case) but the first post is by the roadside where the line seems to take off across the hills. I've seen new ones appear where there were none before, and I've seen old and faded ones replaced.

Nobody I've spoken to has anything more than idle speculation. They look as if they're markers for an aircraft of some sort (a helicopter?) to be able to follow the line of something, but what? Someone said gas main, but there is no gas main there. Electricity main? More plausible, but the way it takes off up the hill is strange if it was that.

My guess was markers to facilitate aerial mapping, but the odd thing is that they're barely visible at all in either the OS or the Google aerial views. You can spot one that you know is there, but if you didn't, it would just look like yet another sheep. And despite them being so obvious from ground level, they are not marked on the OS maps.

Anyone know what they are?
Yep they're oil pipeline markers for surveying by helicopter.

Oil? That's one we didn't think of. Do the helicopters have some special instrument that sees the posts, because on the evidence of the aerial views they're not easy to see by eye from the air.

Is there somewhere that has more information about this?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom