Bluetooth phone dialing not working

TorvaFirmus

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hi,

I cannot dial on my phone from the MG4 console because it seems to be dropping the + prefix to the phone numbers. Does anyone know of a setting on the MG4 that will fix this problem? This is the first car that I have had this problem with.

Does anyone have an idea how to change this setting?

For me, changing the numbers is impractical. I have phone numbers from people in different countries and I also use my phone when I travel on business. It has to work everywhere. Not just in the car.

I assume then, nobody knows how to get around this.

On my way to the dealer today. They claim that resetting the console will most likely resolve the problem. And that they have never seen this problem before. I have my doubts.

Apparently, there are two ways to fix this,
1) Factory reset of the console. This did not work for me.
2) Software update. My car is booked in. Hopefully this will fix the issue.

They did a software update at the dealer and we have factory reset the display. Still not importing the phone numbers with the + symbol.

Pity we cannot raise this issue with MG and get an answer.

If I may be contentious, why do you need to phone out whilst you are driving, perhaps at speed on a motorway or in a congested city centre? If speed is of the essence then upcoming AI Chatbots will do things much faster. To my mind, stopping to talk must always be safer and lead to better decisions than phoning and driving.

The work around could be your phone’s assistant (Siri, Google assistant, Bixby…) to dial out enabling hands free and working around the issue. As long as your Bluetooth is connected the car call interface will take over as soon as you initiate a call.

This is how mine works if I am not connected via Apple CarPlay and only Bluetooth.

If parked again this will work if connected to Bluetooth. Initiate the call via the phone and the call will route through the car.

If I may be contentious, why do you need to phone out whilst you are driving, perhaps at speed on a motorway or in a congested city centre? If speed is of the essence then upcoming AI Chatbots will do things much faster. To my mind, stopping to talk must always be safer and lead to better decisions than phoning and driving.
Thank you for your opinion. This post is just as useful as someone saying that we shouldn't be buying cars because they are bad for the environment.

Thank you for your opinion. This post is just as useful as someone saying that we shouldn't be buying cars because they are bad for the environment.
Given this board is for the MG4 EV, you might want to try a different analogy. ;)

I had the same problem on the ZS. I unpaired phone and deleted the phone on the infotainment system and the same on the phone. I then paired after deleting and I have not experienced the problem since. Its worth a try.

I had the same problem on the ZS. I unpaired phone and deleted the phone on the infotainment system and the same on the phone. I then paired after deleting and I have not experienced the problem since. Its worth a try.
Thanks, but I have tried that. I have even factory reset the display and readded. Still no joy.

Keep the ideas coming....

I really need to get a new phone as the one I have doesn't support Android Auto. So I think I'll leave it for now and re-visit this thread when I get the new phone.

Given this board is for the MG4 EV, you might want to try a different analogy. ;)
Nope. EV cars are more earth friendly than gasoline cars, but they are still bad for the environment. If you take into account the batteries, manufacturing process, shipping, and the coal used to generate the electricity.

I might be wrong, but the only earth friendly method of transport is walking bare foot.

Nope. EV cars are more earth friendly than gasoline cars, but they are still bad for the environment. If you take into account the batteries, manufacturing process, shipping, and the coal used to generate the electricity.

I might be wrong, but the only earth friendly method of transport is walking bare foot.

We could argue this all day, but we really need to get out of the way of assuming that electricity is generated using coal or indeed oil or gas or nuclear. Electricity is exactly as environmentally friendly as the means used to generate it, and as renewables grow in importance in the energy mix the cars will automatically benefit from that.

We keep being told what percentage of Scotland's electricity is being generated using wind and wave (and a bit of solar) and it's a lot. It's often 100%, although in practice balancing the grid involves importing electricity generated by non-renewables and exporting the renewable-generated stuff.

Hi. I Have a ZS Facelift - My contacts don't import with the "+" either - So enthuriating! I have tried the unpair/pair operation several times with no improvement, sadly. Has anyone found another solution, please?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back