BMS mid 2020 update

Unfortunately Our Rolec MG combo is exactly the same. Have had all the update, trickle charge off. I have found the app is very poor, eg, many times it shows it has put in over 50kw per session. We have had our MG since Nov 2019. My advice is to do as I have and use a WiFi contactor between the power supply and the smart unit. Uses ewelink software, then you can set the timed charge to whatever time suits you.
Works perfectly for us and allows me to charge so I don't have to charge to 100% which even if the Rolec worked properly wouldn't. As we are keeping ours for many years we take a bit more care of the battery imho.

Unfortunately Our Rolec MG combo is exactly the same. Have had all the update, trickle charge off. I have found the app is very poor, eg, many times it shows it has put in over 50kw per session. We have had our MG since Nov 2019. My advice is to do as I have and use a WiFi contactor between the power supply and the smart unit. Uses ewelink software, then you can set the timed charge to whatever time suits you.
Works perfectly for us and allows me to charge so I don't have to charge to 100% which even if the Rolec worked properly wouldn't. As we are keeping ours for many years we take a bit more care of the battery imho.
Thanks Freddy
Can you point me to the wifi contactor you are using?
So presumably you disable smart charging on the EV App, and then using the Ewelink software just enable the power to the chargepoint at your off peak hours?
Can you plug the car into the chargepoint more than 10 hours before your Ewelink scheduled start time?

Thanks Freddy
Can you point me to the wifi contactor you are using?
So presumably you disable smart charging on the EV App, and then using the Ewelink software just enable the power to the chargepoint at your off peak hours?
Can you plug the car into the chargepoint more than 10 hours before your Ewelink scheduled start time?
Yes to both your 2nd and third questions, although for the second one, I leave smart charging on as it doesn't work anyway, then I set the timers to go off at say 00.29, then come on at 00.30, then off at 04.30. Reason being with smart charging for every charge over 10kw you get 1 point. For every 20points you can exchange for £5 Amazon voucher of which I have had about £50 quids worth so far.I will now find the link for the contactor, which I got off AliExpress so took about 3 weeks to get here.

Yes to both your 2nd and third questions, although for the second one, I leave smart charging on as it doesn't work anyway, then I set the timers to go off at say 00.29, then come on at 00.30, then off at 04.30. Reason being with smart charging for every charge over 10kw you get 1 point. For every 20points you can exchange for £5 Amazon voucher of which I have had about £50 quids worth so far.I will now find the link for the contactor, which I got off AliExpress so took about 3 weeks to get here.

After 3 months of wrangling with the dealer I purchased my MG ZS EV from - Perry's of Preston, regarding these bl**dy updates.

AND being told my Vehicles VIN Number was NOT on the list of cars requiring them.

Then they updated a different version of the BMS Update which meant I had to lock the car and walk away for a couple of minutes before being able to unlock it and it keeps charging.

I have just returned from another dealer (Chorley Motors MG) in Burnley, who has finally within three hours, rectified all the update problems and my car now has a fully operational BMS 2020 update THAT WORKS! 👍👍👍👍

Thanks to Tango, who gave me the recommendation to take my car there, Chorley Motors have been dealing with MG since 2017 and have also been mentioned many times for their quality service on many forums, so loads of experience and they knew what to do from the moment I made the call.

I was told to take in both keys, which to me meant they where going to start from scratch and remove the Comfort 2 Software that the car was delivered with and re-install everything again including the HVB Fuse and BMS 2020 all in one hit.

And because I had my service contract with Chorley Motors, it didn't cost me a penny, they handed back the car with lovely smiles and "Have a Nice Christmas and A Happy New Year".

For Me - The perfect end to a rotten year!

Andy

The taking of both keys is forward planning at its best. If something goes wrong it safes an embarrassing call asking for the second key when something has crashed and then the "but the second key is many miles away" convo.

I’ve played with the eWeLink stuff and use one to switch my immersion heater on and off with Alexa voice control. I used it to operate a proper double pole contactor as the Sonoff one looked a bit feeble and was only rated at 16amps, and I’m not sure I’d trust it with that!

Thanks Freddy
I've installed a new MCB enclosure containing (1) a 63A wifi contactor that I can schedule to come on at 00.30 and off at 04.30. That feeds into (2) another 63A (non) wifi contactor that has a voltage and current display (so I can see the current draw whilst charging), and that feeds into (3) the original Rolec MCB. I've switched off Smart Charging in the EV app, so basically once the wallpod powers up at 00.30 (and the car is plugged into the wallpod) charging starts every time. And no issue with the car going to sleep, presumably because if the car is attached to the wallpod while its powered off, the 10 hour timer on the car doesn't kick in.....

Hi
Just gone back on some threads and picked up on your reply above.

I have an EO mini pro 2 that appears to be out of range of my router even adding extenders (which can create their own problems) so the EO app is useless. The EO has its own consumer unit fitted within the meter box and have asked the installer about fitting a suitable basic timer to the supply either attached to the feed to or inside the EO's own consumer unit . He's thinking about that one.

So just to confirm, with the above item you mentioned fitted to the supply feed to the EO consumer unit or within the unit its self it would this enable us to charge at a set time as long as the charging cable is connected? Say we cabled in at 9pm, set charge to 00.30 to 04.30, (effectively a timer) And if we needed to charge outside of those times we can override manually or via its app?

The app information is not actually needed just the timed charge facility, not sure why you need the other information on these apps.

Hi
Just gone back on some threads and picked up on your reply above.

I have an EO mini pro 2 that appears to be out of range of my router even adding extenders (which can create their own problems) so the EO app is useless. The EO has its own consumer unit fitted within the meter box and have asked the installer about fitting a suitable basic timer to the supply either attached to the feed to or inside the EO's own consumer unit . He's thinking about that one.

So just to confirm, with the above item you mentioned fitted to the supply feed to the EO consumer unit or within the unit its self it would this enable us to charge at a set time as long as the charging cable is connected? Say we cabled in at 9pm, set charge to 00.30 to 04.30, (effectively a timer) And if we needed to charge outside of those times we can override manually or via its app?

The app information is not actually needed just the timed charge facility, not sure why you need the other information on these apps.
I have fitted it on the supply to the charger. So no need to open the charger to fiddle in there. Yes you can put the cable in at any time, then set the timer to come on or off at any time.. I now set the time depending on how much charge I want as I don't charge to 100% all the time. Eg if I only want 20kw I set the charger to come on at 1.30 to 4.30.To do as I do-
Turn smart charging off in the ev app. Set
time in timer app, "ewelink", turn charger off in ewelink, which has a button to manually turn on or off, otherwise it will start charging straight away, then plug in car. Once you've done once you will see how easy it is. There are plenty of timer options, countdown, repeat etc.
Fortunately my charger power came strait from the outside electric box where the meter is. Literally took less than five mins to fit. Took longer to install the software and pair it to the phone.

I have fitted it on the supply to the charger. So no need to open the charger to fiddle in there. Yes you can put the cable in at any time, then set the timer to come on or off at any time.. I now set the time depending on how much charge I want as I don't charge to 100% all the time. Eg if I only want 20kw I set the charger to come on at 1.30 to 4.30.To do as I do-
Turn smart charging off in the ev app. Set
time in timer app, "ewelink", turn charger off in ewelink, which has a button to manually turn on or off, otherwise it will start charging straight away, then plug in car. Once you've done once you will see how easy it is. There are plenty of timer options, countdown, repeat etc.
Fortunately my charger power came strait from the outside electric box where the meter is. Literally took less than five mins to fit. Took longer to install the software and pair it to the phone.
This is the best solution as far as I can see.
Gives control over when charging starts and for how long.

This is the best solution as far as I can see.
Gives control over when charging starts and for how long.
Although this method will work, its not the best solution and you might cause premature failure of the charging unit as they do not like having the power supply cut to them whilst still charging as a regular method of shutting down! It will stress the circuitry.

The best way to upgrade a charger to smart timed charging is to open it, and fit a 12v\5v powered WiFi relay in the control signal line to open or close it. The relay is powered from the low voltage control circuitry side of things in the charging unit. This way mimics the normal operation of unplugging the charger, or the car turning it off so won't stress your unit.

Although this method will work, its not the best solution and you might cause premature failure of the charging unit as they do not like having the power supply cut to them whilst still charging as a regular method of shutting down! It will stress the circuitry.

The best way to upgrade a charger to smart timed charging is to open it, and fit a 12v\5v powered WiFi relay in the control signal line to open or close it. The relay is powered from the low voltage control circuitry side of things in the charging unit. This way mimics the normal operation of unplugging the charger, or the car turning it off so won't stress your unit.
Thanks Paulie. The Sonoff wifi basic switch I can see is 240v AC, rather than 12vDC. Is there a DC version? Can you provide a link?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
This is the one I used:

This pic shows an AC Sonoff basic switch, rather than the 12vDC version
Sorry for being thick but presumably to use the DC version the wiring is different?
Are there pros/cons on using AC or DC switch?
1610971919959.png

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

My issue is that the charger is on the garage and too far away for wifi otherwise the EO app would work. I wanted something in/near the EO's "independent" consumer box that is fitted inside the meter cupboard. (separate from the house consumer box)

My issue is that the charger is on the garage and too far away for wifi otherwise the EO app would work. I wanted something in/near the EO's "independent" consumer box that is fitted inside the meter cupboard. (separate from the house consumer box)
All I can say is as far my solution in Paulie's opinion is not the best, and I don't doubt Paulie is far more knowledgeable than I, I have used as have others this method for over a year with no noticeable
Bad effects. And as Paulie says it might cause premature failure, by the same token it might not. I am also of the opinion that now it's out of warranty, if the charger gives up, then it will be an excuse to get a charger that does work properly like the ohme.

This pic shows an AC Sonoff basic switch, rather than the 12vDC version
Sorry for being thick but presumably to use the DC version the wiring is different?
Are there pros/cons on using AC or DC switch?
View attachment 1127
Yes, the wiring is quite different. You supply the relay unit from the 5v\12v in your charger thats on the low voltage control board, this will be available somewhere on the board just after the rectification bridge and smoothing capacitors, and will vary by manufacturer. You need basic electronics knowledge to recognise components and a voltmeter to find this. The signal wire from the socket is then cut and wired to the relay switch to allow it to be opened and closed by the WiFi. Timer app.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom