BMS update-Computer says “No”

Hi Mike, I read you have a MG5 now.
What you say about the range in winter?
I have the ZS EV, and I use for taxi, my miles per Kw is around 2.8 to 3.0 kW per mile now, on in winter, driving around London, city drive. I think to change to MG5 because the battery size.
I've been getting 2.8 - 3.1 miles per kWh in this cold weather in the MG5 too. The comfortable range with heating etc, driving at speed limit, heated seats on, is around 150 miles

My situation, FWIW, is as follows:

Took possession of my ZS EV on 23rd November 2020. Was promised by the dealer that all appropriate software updates had been done. On pick up I could tell that Comfort 2 had been done and when I got home I tested charging locked/unlocked and delayed....all worked perfectly.

In the interim, I have driven just over 700 miles with no problem. The range has been between 120 and 130 miles as expected given the winter weather.

I have been following the discussion(s) regarding faulty BMS. Picking up the car towards the end of November I assumed that my range would be affected. So I decided to run a test.

1. Granny charged the car to 100% including equalisation. The equalisation phase took less than an hour. At completion (with HVAC off) the GOM showed :

Normal = 150 miles
Eco = 165 miles
Sport = 142 miles

Electrical = 455 volts

So, looking good (as expected really).

2. Went for an hour's drive. Mostly A roads at between 50 to 60 mph (some done with MG Pilot). Approx 5 mile trip through town at 20 mph.

Mode = Normal
KERS = 3
HVAC = Off

Travelled 44.4 miles.
GOM at completion shows 106.
3.6 miles/KWh.
Electrical = 421 volts
Ambient temperature for journey 7 DegC

So, all looks good to me but a little perplexing. It looks like I have the most recent BMS update but I don't have either symptoms of long equalisation or loss of range.

Any thoughts are most welcome.

I don’t think the August update (with the long equalisation but not the dodgy management) ALWAYS takes ages to balance - my car definitely used to do it faster than it did the other day and it’s software hasn’t been changed.

My situation, FWIW, is as follows:

Took possession of my ZS EV on 23rd November 2020. Was promised by the dealer that all appropriate software updates had been done. On pick up I could tell that Comfort 2 had been done and when I got home I tested charging locked/unlocked and delayed....all worked perfectly.

In the interim, I have driven just over 700 miles with no problem. The range has been between 120 and 130 miles as expected given the winter weather.

I have been following the discussion(s) regarding faulty BMS. Picking up the car towards the end of November I assumed that my range would be affected. So I decided to run a test.

1. Granny charged the car to 100% including equalisation. The equalisation phase took less than an hour. At completion (with HVAC off) the GOM showed :

Normal = 150 miles
Eco = 165 miles
Sport = 142 miles

Electrical = 455 volts

So, looking good (as expected really).

2. Went for an hour's drive. Mostly A roads at between 50 to 60 mph (some done with MG Pilot). Approx 5 mile trip through town at 20 mph.

Mode = Normal
KERS = 3
HVAC = Off

Travelled 44.4 miles.
GOM at completion shows 106.
3.6 miles/KWh.
Electrical = 421 volts
Ambient temperature for journey 7 DegC

So, all looks good to me but a little perplexing. It looks like I have the most recent BMS update but I don't have either symptoms of long equalisation or loss of range.

Any thoughts are most welcome.
My only comments are you picked the wrong day to do the test as the temperature has significantly increased today from 0 degrees to a much nearer normal operating temperature and that’s why you’ve achieved 3.6 KWh per mile as most were struggling with 2.8 to 2.9 in the coldest days.

I have done my first equalisation charge since getting the car on 29/12/20. Plugged in at 2.30 pm yesterday, with 85% charge. 100% charge and equalisation completed at 11.15 PM ( took 10 hrs and 15 min and with 9-10KW charge). Battery volt with full charge 450 volts, economy range 151, normal range on GOM 137 miles. I have not seen 455 Volt, maximum I saw is 450V.

I have done my first equalisation charge since getting the car on 29/12/20. Plugged in at 2.30 pm yesterday, with 85% charge. 100% charge and equalisation completed at 11.15 PM ( took 10 hrs and 15 min and with 9-10KW charge). Battery volt with full charge 450 volts, economy range 151, normal range on GOM 137 miles. I have not seen 455 Volt, maximum I saw is 450V.
You need to have your BMS updated when the new version is released soon.

Thanks Mark, I will call my MG dealer, Glyn Hopkin, East London and arrange update when it get released. I went there on Saturday, but entrance was blocked, I don't think service department is entertaining any walk in customers.

Thanks Mark, I will call my MG dealer, Glyn Hopkin, East London and arrange update when it get released. I went there on Saturday, but entrance was blocked, I don't think service department is entertaining any walk in customers.
Interesting, let me know how you get on Mas, the service guys seem to be okay from my experience.

You need to have your BMS updated when the new version is released soon.
What seems the be main issue, range, voltage or the mount of time it took for equalisation? I was told all updates including BMS were done and charging works while car is unlocked.

Last edited:
450v is a touch low but not as bad as a lot are reporting

Is that 151 miles with the HVAC turned on or off?

HVAC off, however fan has one bar, will not go to nil, unless I don't know how to turn it off completely.

What seems the be main issue, range, voltage or the mount of time it took for equalisation? I was told all updates including BMS were done and charging works while car is unlocked.
I think they are all connected to be honest, but when fully charge your volts should read about 455 volts and your predicted range should be more too.

Mark, do you reckon it is a BMS issue, or an issue with battery? How to get it checked?
No it’s the BMS as reported by a lot of other, the BMS has affected the parameters of the usable battery I.e. the upper and lower buffers and therefore has reduced the amount of actual usable battery capacity. Miles from the Chorley Group has said the update should be out later this week.

HVAC off, however fan has one bar, will not go to nil, unless I don't know how to turn it off completely.
Press the button that’s in the dial for the temperature and it should turn off completely

Hi all, back to the beginning of this thread and the car has been returned from its service this afternoon. It had all the updates carried out with the exception of the BMS one. Everything seems to be as it should except the satnav appears to be stalling at 50% when trying to start up. I will try again tomorrow but can Someone give me some tips to solve this before I call the service department.
Many thanks, Kev.

No it’s the BMS as reported by a lot of other, the BMS has affected the parameters of the usable battery I.e. the upper and lower buffers and therefore has reduced the amount of actual usable battery capacity. Miles from the Chorley Group has said the update should be out later this week.
How much later this week? I’m due to take my car in on Wednesday for a service, so would rather not have to take it in again in a weeks time ha!

How much later this week? I’m due to take my car in on Wednesday for a service, so would rather not have to take it in again in a weeks time ha!
Miles said by the end of the week, call your dealer to see if they have the update yet or ask them to call you when they do.

Don't in reality expect the BMS update to be rolled out this week, it will take some time to trickle down to the dealer. I spoke to mine today and they have no idea that there is a new version coming!!!!

They will call me when it becomes available.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom