BMS update- feedback from MG

I cannot believe how you lot are so anal about battery voltages and balancing! All I do is plug in the granny charger when it goes below about 100 miles left and unplug it next day. The car after charge always shows about 165 miles which is what I was told to expect. If I turn everything off and go to Econ mode it shows 205 odd. As long as it works, why worry?

I cannot believe how you lot are so anal about battery voltages and balancing! All I do is plug in the granny charger when it goes below about 100 miles left and unplug it next day. The car after charge always shows about 165 miles which is what I was told to expect. If I turn everything off and go to Econ mode it shows 205 odd. As long as it works, why worry?
Tim,

I am 100% with you. I don't worry at all about the battery, I let the BMS and the warranty take care of that. I also unlike many many others plug into my Home Charger EVERY night no matter what the state of charge. I like starting every morning with a full tank for those unexpected long journeys. Example you have a couple of gallons in your ICE car (I used to run my ICE low, and only filled up for long journeys) and long trip comes up out the blue, 5 mins fillup and ready to go, EV at least an hour if you can access a nasty old RAPID charger, and if not 4 to 5 hours on your home charger. As for battery health the ONLY thing that ALL the experts agree on is RAPID charging is not good for the battery, everything else is ifs, buts, and maybes, so I also don't worry about keeping my battery at a certain SOC that so called experts can't even agree on.

I also don't give a shit about voltages,amps etc etc, like you the range (possible range) is all I look at. I also heaven forbid when well within the return range of my car drive it with NOT a thought about economy but speed limits and road conditions my ONLY concern, long trips are different of course.

ENJOY your cars guys/gals, don't make them a chore!!!

Frank

PS For those suffering from faulty BMS Software I do empathise but when everything is as it should just enjoy the car, lastly as some others pointed out this is not advice on how to operate your EV but just how I run mine(and I think many others probably do) if you want to do things your way, crack on.

Last edited:
LOL, you clearly don't need to use your car anywhere near the limits of the range that it should do, else you would worry!
I assume you don't have a car with the problematic BMS either, otherwise you'd be wanting to know how to get it fixed.

Not exactly.... If someone lease car within warranty period, then it is ( may / may not ) not so worried about long term battery condition . But if I would like to keep car beyond warranty, then it is important for me to maintain and use battery in such way to prevent its unnecessary degradation.

It has been nearly a month since my last BMS & EVCC update 2nd time round on both Sept/ Jan. on advice from dealer I was advised to let the Battery sort out the balance issues before taking the car back in to them to attempt to fix my constant issue which is it will not do a delayed charge from my Smart home Charger. ( Smart charger already been checked it works correctly) Since the last update My car has also developed an issue nobody else has mentioned on the forums. Since the January update my car has started to reswitch on the charging cycle when going out to open the car after an overnight charge. It would do this approx 3 to 4 times for about half an hour each time you attempt to unlock the car. This has now come down to an average of twice approx 20min followed by 10min on second charge. I only let the HV battery discharge about 10% 1 digit on the battery gauge and then recharge, even that has taken over 5hours each night a charge is done. This is getting to be a real pain and at the end of this I still have the original fault of no delayed charge capability, this being the only reason I wanted the updates in the first place. The car is or was a good car but this is totally pissing me off, now getting fed up with it now.

It has been nearly a month since my last BMS & EVCC update 2nd time round on both Sept/ Jan. on advice from dealer I was advised to let the Battery sort out the balance issues before taking the car back in to them to attempt to fix my constant issue which is it will not do a delayed charge from my Smart home Charger. ( Smart charger already been checked it works correctly) Since the last update My car has also developed an issue nobody else has mentioned on the forums. Since the January update my car has started to reswitch on the charging cycle when going out to open the car after an overnight charge. It would do this approx 3 to 4 times for about half an hour each time you attempt to unlock the car. This has now come down to an average of twice approx 20min followed by 10min on second charge. I only let the HV battery discharge about 10% 1 digit on the battery gauge and then recharge, even that has taken over 5hours each night a charge is done. This is getting to be a real pain and at the end of this I still have the original fault of no delayed charge capability, this being the only reason I wanted the updates in the first place. The car is or was a good car but this is totally pissing me off, now getting fed up with it now.

It's probably not this but I'll put it out there as a suggestion....

From my (bad) memory it seems like:
When unlocking the car it unlocks the charger plug which I assume stops the charge, but then after a bit it re-locks it and continues the charge.
This is logical to allow charging whilst unlocked - as very often you unlock the car to remove the charger plug, but also if you want to just get something out of the car etc you want it to carry on if you don't remove the charger plug.

Could it be that your car is still balancing in the morning - as it should carry on doing this for up to 10 hours after the actual charge portion has finished, if you've got the problem BMS etc it could well be trying to do it for the full 10 hours.

When unlocking the car it unlocks the charger plug which I assume stops the charge, but then after a bit it re-locks it and continues the charge.
This is logical to allow charging whilst unlocked - as very often you unlock the car to remove the charger plug, but also if you want to just get something out of the car etc you want it to carry on if you don't remove the charger plug.

Could it be that your car is still balancing in the morning - as it should carry on doing this for up to 10 hours after the actual charge portion has finished, if you've got the problem BMS etc it could well be trying to do it for the full 10 hours.
Interesting - we're only up to our third charge, but after the second overnight the car did something similar when unlocking the car, relocking and restarting charging the car when that had stopped hours before. I'll have to try a long rebalancing charge (we had battery/BMS warranty issues already) and report on the outcome.

I see what you are saying but my charger has switched off after the overnight charge thru no more demand from the car, yes it is still connected to the car but no charging is taking place. You go to the car, press the button on the door handle to unlock the car which will activate the unlock on the charger cable, within 1second it will reactivate the lock on the cable and restart a balance charge, it will continue that for approx half an hour and switch off. Going back to the car to follow the same process it will do it again this time for a shorter time. Now it has started this process after the latest January corrected update. It was doing this 3 to 4 times initially after an overnight charge, it is now down to 2 times on attempting to disconnect. I have got into the routine of doing this the following day after an overnight charge, thankfully because of lockdown I have the time to let it do what it wants, I could just switch off the charger manually and go but I am just leaving it to see if it will stop doing it but there will come a point I will just take it back to the dealer and tell them I don’t want it back until it does what it is supposed to do.

I see what you are saying but my charger has switched off after the overnight charge thru no more demand from the car, yes it is still connected to the car but no charging is taking place. You go to the car, press the button on the door handle to unlock the car which will activate the unlock on the charger cable, within 1second it will reactivate the lock on the cable and restart a balance charge, it will continue that for approx half an hour and switch off. Going back to the car to follow the same process it will do it again this time for a shorter time. Now it has started this process after the latest January corrected update. It was doing this 3 to 4 times initially after an overnight charge, it is now down to 2 times on attempting to disconnect. I have got into the routine of doing this the following day after an overnight charge, thankfully because of lockdown I have the time to let it do what it wants, I could just switch off the charger manually and go but I am just leaving it to see if it will stop doing it but there will come a point I will just take it back to the dealer and tell them I don’t want it back until it does what it is supposed to do.
Weird, especially if you have the fixed 15/1 BMS.

Weird, especially if you have the fixed 15/1 BMS.
Yup, the really annoying issue is back in Sept the only reason I opted for the update was my car would not do a Delayed charge from my Smart home charger. 2 updates later and it still won’t do it😠😤 We have already checked the home charger on our Daughters car and it does a delayed charge on her car without issue so it is not a charger issue. Obviously EVCC update is done along with BMS

I do wonder if something else is going on. Every day I get "Please connect slow charger" which I don't hear others reporting. I only have a granny charger and do regular long slow charges. I also once got "HV battery fault" on screen, but apparently battery is ok and will recover. I've done a lot of charging since BMS update and HV voltage this morning showed 432V, which is up from 429V a week ago. This could take forever...
Hello. I have just had the latest BMS update which, I believe, came out in February? I also use the ‘Granny Charger ‘ and let it do an equalization charge regularly. Since the update I also am getting a prompt saying slow charge required.
I love the car but am getting frustrated with repeated updates being needed.
I have also started to get the annoying rattle from the rear mentioned in other posts.
Car was in for the day to do BMS. Asked them to investigate rattle. They tightened a couple of bolts to the roof rail which didn’t do anything.
Starting to think I may look for another car.
Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful.
PS. Car was bought in December 2019.

After me saying it was down to just switching back on 2 times the following day. 5 times today!!!!!!!!!!☹️☹️😡😡😡😡

Hello. I have just had the latest BMS update which, I believe, came out in February? I also use the ‘Granny Charger ‘ and let it do an equalization charge regularly. Since the update I also am getting a prompt saying slow charge required.
I love the car but am getting frustrated with repeated updates being needed.
I have also started to get the annoying rattle from the rear mentioned in other posts.
Car was in for the day to do BMS. Asked them to investigate rattle. They tightened a couple of bolts to the roof rail which didn’t do anything.
Starting to think I may look for another car.
Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful.
PS. Car was bought in December 2019.
I think that we all eventually get to the point where we want a change. From what you say - you have a rattle - if the dealer hasn’t sorted it, get it back to them - they can be sorted out with a little persistence. For some people the bms issue is a pain, if you are experiencing real issues that are affecting the daily use of your car - again get back to the dealer and get them to sort it out. All cars have issues, if you’re unhappy use your warranty and put pressure on the dealer. If you‘ve had enough of the car then move on and get something else.

I have the car booked in for 2 days soon. Mainly to strip the roof liner to hopefully rectify the problem. Will get them to look at the BMS while it’s in. I will continue slow charging and equalizing until then.
Will post again after that.
PS. I am sure that rattle is something to do with the sliding sun roof as it mainly happens when this is open with the shade open. Anyone else have this problem?

There are some helpful posts here;

There are some helpful posts here;
I have a rattle coming from the rear of side when going over bumps. Mainly when the sun roof is open. I am having it looked at soon. Car booked in for 2 days to allow roof liner to be removed. Hope this will sort it. Will post again when I know more.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom