Body coloured door plastic - mockup. Thoughts?

AdamskiEM

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hey,
While I really like the look of the MG4, the plastic on the doors really does seem to take something away overall. My door sills are already slightly scratched where I've accidentally brushed my shoes up against the plastic while getting in and out.

I'm seriously thinking about getting a bodyshop (once they have the paint colour codes) to quote me on getting these plastics painted (they'd need to be sanded to remove the texture).

I've made a mockup using Photoshop (I'm not the best, but you get the idea) using a random photo I found online.

What do you guys think about this look? To me it's a real improvement. And I think the added protection of the paint/lacquer will save from any potential damage from shoes.

Original photo from MG4 hatchback review | Carbuyer

Attachments

• MG4 UK 2022-21.jpg
    MG4 UK 2022-21.jpg
    400.3 KB · Views: 399
The painted sills in your photo do look quite good and make the car look more like a conventional hatchback though a few more profile views would be needed to confirm this. You would need some technical advice as to whether the painted plastic would be more resistant to scuffing - if the paint gets abraded then it is not going to look good! Personally, I would be a little nervous doing this to my car as it may make it a bit of an oddity when it comes time to sell it but that may not matter to you.

I've been amazed by how popular the orange colour is. That is in no way a criticism, I just never thought so many people would want such a 'in your face' colour but here we have a thread to explain that there is not enough orange and even more orange is wanted :ROFLMAO:

Go for it !!

Grey has seemed to be such a popular car colour over the last few years that I’m looking forward to standing out a bit - once my car arrives…

I've been amazed by how popular the orange colour is. That is in no way a criticism, I just never thought so many people would want such a 'in your face' colour but here we have a thread to explain that there is not enough orange and even more orange is wanted :ROFLMAO:

Go for it !!
I agree. The orange is too much in your face so I went for the Dynamic Red 🤣

Many people seem to have bought orange, but only because MG has apparently made 90% of all Trophy spec cars in that colour so far.
<grumble> Some of us want blue </grumble>

My last company car was white which was a no additional cost colour to keep tax as low as possible, with the very low tax on electric cars I've gone for the Dynamic Red which is not too garish but pops nicely in the sun.

If mine started to look a bit damaged I would think about getting them rapped, and mud flaps.

Wrapping is very expensive. Plus the detailer I went to when enquiring about a ceramic coating said they don't even have the templates for the MG4 yet. My previous car had body coloured door sills, and the standard paint/laquer coat seemed sufficient to protect from minor shoe scuffs, any marks just buffed out with a little polish.

Buy a black one, the sills already match. ;)
Bit late now :p

Just need to find someone local that will do the work for me

Wrapping is very expensive. Plus the detailer I went to when enquiring about a ceramic coating said they don't even have the templates for the MG4 yet. My previous car had body coloured door sills, and the standard paint/laquer coat seemed sufficient to protect from minor shoe scuffs, any marks just buffed out with a little polish.

Bit late now :p

Just need to find someone local that will do the work for me
Why does ceramic coating need templates? Ppf maybe but ceramic coating doesn't need a template 🤔

Go for it !!
I've had an Orange Fiat Punto in the past and currently have an Orange Suzuki SX4 so when I saw the MG4 I was sold. It was definitely a "shut up and take my money" moment lol

I've had an Orange Fiat Punto in the past and currently have an Orange Suzuki SX4 so when I saw the MG4 I was sold. It was definitely a "shut up and take my money" moment lol
Sounds like you've been Tangoed. :LOL:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 526 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel