BP Chargemaster - Timed Charging issues

Eric F

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone
Anyone using a BP Chargemaster home charger for their ZS EV?
I had my BP charger installed a week ago for my ZS EV, which came as part of the lease deal. The charger timed schedule wont start a charge , but it will run for the duration of the charge if I open and lock the car initiating a handshake between the two. The car has only just been supplied and I am assured by the dealership it has the latest software updates. does anyone else have a BP charger and does it work on a time schedule?

Hi everyone
I had my BP charger installed a week ago for my ZS EV, which came as part of the lease deal. The charger timed schedule wont start a charge , but it will run for the duration of the charge if I open and lock the car initiating a handshake between the two. The car has only just been supplied and I am assured by the dealership it has the latest software updates. does anyone else have a BP charger and does it work on a time schedule?
Hi everyone
Hi Eric

I have exactly the same issues, had our BP charger for two months now and no matter how I tweak it I can’t seem to get it to use the planned charging times, did you get it resolved?

Lee

Hi Eric

I have exactly the same issues, had our BP charger for two months now and no matter how I tweak it I can’t seem to get it to use the planned charging times, did you get it resolved?

Lee
I have just had my first service and am assured that timed charging will now work... it does not. When I charge the car the app reports usage etc. but still no timed charging. I cannot find out if it is the car or the charger, the charger says car connected etc and performs 7Kw charging.

Has anybody succeeded with a BP chargemaster charger & Chargevision App??

I have been dealing with BPChargemaster support since last July on this matter. There were originally some issues with the MG software until one of the BMS updates late last year. Sorry I cant be specific because I've had a few and the details are never provided. However, I believe, to be safe, you need the one that lets you charge with the doors unlocked.

Having said all the above, after two replacement chargers, I escalated the issue to BPChargemasster management in November and then had a BPChargemaster Support Engineer come out to monitor the control signals on the charger cable in December. He confirmed that the car was behaving correctly and that the Charger software was 'locking up'. He now has 5 cases with MG vehicles plus two others and the issue was passed to the BPChargemaster Development Team in January. Last week I chased the Support Team for an update, depending on their response this week I may then escalate to the Management again.

Currently, I believe, you cannot use the BPChargemaster timed charging software with any MG ZS EV (at least).

I have been dealing with BPChargemaster support since last July on this matter. There were originally some issues with the MG software until one of the BMS updates late last year. Sorry I cant be specific because I've had a few and the details are never provided. However, I believe, to be safe, you need the one that lets you charge with the doors unlocked.

Having said all the above, after two replacement chargers, I escalated the issue to BPChargemasster management in November and then had a BPChargemaster Support Engineer come out to monitor the control signals on the charger cable in December. He confirmed that the car was behaving correctly and that the Charger software was 'locking up'. He now has 5 cases with MG vehicles plus two others and the issue was passed to the BPChargemaster Development Team in January. Last week I chased the Support Team for an update, depending on their response this week I may then escalate to the Management again.

Currently, I believe, you cannot use the BPChargemaster timed charging software with any MG ZS EV (at least).
Thanks Graham,

I would be obliged if you could supply details of who, how & where I can contact the same people/person you have been dealing with, it would help to keep all the same issues in the same pile.

Could you also add details when you hear more or get a resolution.

Thanks in advance

Best Regards Steve

Thanks Graham,

I would be obliged if you could supply details of who, how & where I can contact the same people/person you have been dealing with, it would help to keep all the same issues in the same pile.

Could you also add details when you hear more or get a resolution.

Thanks in advance

Best Regards Steve
Hi Eric

Lee
I first got my unit Aug Sept 20 , It would not charge on timer so I contacted BP. They interrogated the unit online and reported all was ok. I went back to my dealer who confirmed that the updates had failed to install correctly. The car will now charge with the doors open (comfort2?) . I set up some 1 hour timed charge schedules to allow me to monitor it and it worked correctly. I then had an issue with the rate of charge but the unit has been changed by BP.
I can honestly say they were very unhelpful regarding getting the initial unit installed but I cant fault the follow up customer service it has been very good.
Im still waiting for Octopus to finish the setup of the new smart meter 7 months after signing up.
Things to do:
Raise a service enquiry with BP to check out the unit.
Get your dealer to confirm the correct updates have been correctly installed.
R's
Eric

I first got my unit Aug Sept 20 , It would not charge on timer so I contacted BP. They interrogated the unit online and reported all was ok. I went back to my dealer who confirmed that the updates had failed to install correctly. The car will now charge with the doors open (comfort2?) . I set up some 1 hour timed charge schedules to allow me to monitor it and it worked correctly. I then had an issue with the rate of charge but the unit has been changed by BP.
I can honestly say they were very unhelpful regarding getting the initial unit installed but I cant fault the follow up customer service it has been very good.
Im still waiting for Octopus to finish the setup of the new smart meter 7 months after signing up.
Things to do:
Raise a service enquiry with BP to check out the unit.
Get your dealer to confirm the correct updates have been correctly installed.
R's
Eric
This is what is very frustrating, the amount of people who's cars have not been updated correctly, it just should not be allowed to happen.

Steve et al, sorry for not replying sooner, I have been awaiting to see if BPC support got back to me. To date they haven't. Strangely though, I put my vehicle on charge Tuesday night expecting to trip the breaker to get the charger to reset and pick up the schedule (00:15 - 08:15 Sun - Sat) but I discovered it had started charging by itself at 00:33. Allowing for connection issues and the fact that the unit only polls every 5,10, or 15 minutes (depending on who you listen to) I'm happy that it appears to have started by the schedule. The car is in for a service at the end of the week (an outing :), so will try charging again Friday evening to see if this was a glitch and report back.

Unfortunately, I did promise the BPC engineer that I would not to disclose names or detailed findings in exchange for a copy of his internal report to the development team. However, if any of you have BPC unit numbers and Support Call numbers, I will happily pass these on to him so that you can be added to the 'melting pot' for any fixes that may be required.

On a slightly different but related issue, I often find that I cannot log into the Chargemaster app on my phone or on the PC when the car is supposed to be charging. I get 'unexpected server error' or invalid login details, respectively. The following day when charging has finished I can log in and see the history OK. I think BPs 'fossil fuel' experience is reflected in their software development. Hopefully this will change as they take their commitment to Electric Vehicle charging seriously. Does anyone else experience these errors?

On a positive note, when I have been able to deal with BPC's support team, they have all been very professional and well trained in Customer Service skills, if not in the product.

Update on the above. I have done two further charges, having amended the schedule to start during the day so that I can monitor equalisation time, both worked on schedule. So far I have not extracted an explanation from BPC but assume that they are able to upload software changes to the charger unit. When I have any more information I will update the thread again.

Has anyone had any issues on charge speed, my unit does not charge above 3.5KW/H even though the application says it's at maximum speed. Looking for a simple answer as the customer service is worse than useless, it has taken 16 days for them to send me a password reset link (which they then sent me another email saying don't click on any attachments) to get access to the unit. I have not tried a timed charge yet as it's taking around 12 hours to recharge at the moment. Any ideas greatly appreciated

Has anyone had any issues on charge speed, my unit does not charge above 3.5KW/H even though the application says it's at maximum speed. Looking for a simple answer as the customer service is worse than useless, it has taken 16 days for them to send me a password reset link (which they then sent me another email saying don't click on any attachments) to get access to the unit. I have not tried a timed charge yet as it's taking around 12 hours to recharge at the moment. Any ideas greatly appreciated
maybe your charger has been configured to only allow a max of 3.5kWh - a lot can be setup like this.

I suspect it’s been configured with a limiter for 3.5 KW, either deliberately or by error. From my 3 BPC installations, I suspect they are delivered in 3.5 mode as a safety measure leaving the fitter to remove the link if the installation is deemed safe for 7KW.

Chase their support team. They should send someone out to rectify it.

I suspect it’s been configured with a limiter for 3.5 KW, either deliberately or by error. From my 3 BPC installations, I suspect they are delivered in 3.5 mode as a safety measure leaving the fitter to remove the link if the installation is deemed safe for 7KW.

Chase their support team. They should send someone out to rectify it.
Okay thanks that sounds like a good plan, when i have spoken to them about it they say the default setting is 3.5Kw and it can be changed by the application but after trying it now i have access to the application it didn't change

I was told by fitting engineer that there is a button inside the unit which can change the unit output up or down.
the button is in the square box beneath the unit
haven't tried myself as I asked him to set to max.

On chargevision app how do you change the cost of electric to specific tariffs
just shows cost £0

I was told by fitting engineer that there is a button inside the unit which can change the unit output up or down.
the button is in the square box beneath the unit
haven't tried myself as I asked him to set to max.
Okay looks like I'm going to have to ring customer service again to get to the bottom of this, I'm going to try a timed charge when I get home around 2:30 and see what happens

Don’t have an accounts tab, is it in another app, does not appear on my dashboard
in chargevision

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom