BP Chargemaster - Timed Charging issues

Please advise on update required, my mgev only charges with the doors locked.
will Chargemaster work on timed charging
thanks
Latest Battery Management Software (BMS) update that allows doors to be charged when unlocked and apparently also timed charging came out in February. The BMS update that came out in January is allegedly faulty and is no longer installed.

None of this is of value to me as I have a BP Chargemaster charger which will not do a timer charge under any circumstances.

Is there anyone out there that can prove me wrong on the timer issue?

I had the latest (Feb 21) BMS installed in my car a few weeks ago and tried timed charging. Initially, my BP Chargemaster/Pulse unit wouldn’t charge at all after this change, not even as a dumb charger. I took it back to the dealer who then updated my ECU’s to ensure they were compatible with timed charging. I’ve no idea what he actually did on that occasion but thanks to this forum, I’ve learned that many dealers do not understand that there may be a need to update other ECU’s when updating the BMS, and my dealer wouldn’t have done so without my prompting. I tried timed charging again after getting the car back, but it still wouldn’t work. The BP Unit was responsive again, but just started charging at full speed immediately the cable was connected. I’ll explain at the end why I suspect that was the case. Then I set up a new test schedule for the slowest rate of charging from 1am to 3am daily on the Chargevision Website approximately 5 days ago. It wasn’t intentional to set the schedule that far in advance of my next charge, that’s just the way it worked out. When I plugged the car in at 8.30 last night, I could hear the noise of the charge cable locking and whilst the yellow light on the BP Homecharge unit remained on, the green light did not come on and the car did not start charging straight away.

I checked the charge status of the car and unit around 10.30pm and again just before 1am. Everything appeared to remain the same. 1am came and the unit did not switch on, but I know the unit does not communicate with the server constantly and I kind of expected this. I hung around in my garage and at 1.06am SUCCESS! The green light came on, the car awoke and the car dash showed that it was now charging! I had to be up that night anyway for my son, so I kept an eye on charging progress on the Smartcharge phone app. Interestingly, 30 minutes into charging, the app showed the car had been charging for 1hr and 30 minutes, but the level of charge was consistent with the 30 minutes the unit had actually been charging for. I don’t know why this is, but it’s nothing to worry about. The car continued to charge and switched itself off at 3.01am having delivered 3.46kwh at a rate of 1.73kw/h. Using the slow charge was deliberate, firstly to see if the unit would obey this command, and secondly to make sure the battery wasn’t full so I could see if/how the schedule override worked in the morning. At 8.50am this morning, I pressed the “Charge At Full Speed” button on the app, but whilst the app told me that the car was charging, it was not. I tried the same override on the Chargevision website with the same negative result. I then opened and closed the door (still unlocked) and this seemed to wake the car and it started charging at full speed which is where I am now. I need to go out this afternoon and will tell the charger to revert to the saved schedule once it has delivered enough charge for my needs for today. I will report back tomorrow about whether or not it works again tonight. You should know that generally, there may be a problem getting timed charging to work if you connect the car more than 8-10 hours in advance of the scheduled charging start time as it may go to sleep and be unresponsive to the Homecharge unit commands. You may also need your BMS and ECU’s updated if you have not already done so. I can’t advise on that, but your MG dealer should be able to. Get him to contact MG if he doesn’t know.

In respect of the first failed timed charge after the ECU update mentioned above, I cannot be sure, but I think it is important to allow the charger sufficient time to communicate with the Smartcharge app or Chargevision website before plugging in the car. It shouldn’t need as long as 5 days, but it probably needs more than an hour on the first setting up of a new schedule. I was inspired to persevere and experiment thanks to the posts of GrahamH earlier in this thread, so thank you to him. I am now engaging with BP to let them know the results of my experiments to try and find out what does and doesn’t work. I hope all of this helps!

Last edited:
Cannot get any joy out of timer charging on the BP Chargemaster/MGZSEV. It seems that OHME have been working on software that will allow other chargers to use it's software. I have contacted OHME to see if they are working on software for the BP Chargemaster charger.
I will report back with any news
Spoke to OHME (human being) yesterday and yes they are working on software for other chargers but not for MG, it seems that the car needs it's own inbuilt app (API) so no joy there then.

Meanwhile I am going to try Angusgolfer's system.

Deleted all previous schedules and set up a daily charge of 2 hours from 10:15pm, just after my cheap rate kicks in. I am going to let the schedule run whether the car is plugged in or not.

I do not have the car today as it is back at the dealers for another airbag light fault.

I had the latest (Feb 21) BMS installed in my car a few weeks ago and tried timed charging. Initially, my BP Chargemaster/Pulse unit wouldn’t charge at all after this change, not even as a dumb charger. I took it back and the dealer who then updated my ECU’s to ensure they were compatible with timed charging. I’ve no idea what he actually did on that occasion but thanks to this forum, I’ve learned that many dealers do not understand that there may be a need to update other ECU’s when updating the BMS, and mine wouldn’t have done so without my prompting. I tried timed charging again after getting the car back, but it still wouldn’t work. The BP Unit was responsive again, but just started charging at full speed immediately the cable was connected. I’ll explain at the end why I suspect that was the case. Then I set up a new test schedule for the slowest rate of charging from 1am to 3am daily on the Chargevision Website approximately 5 days ago. It wasn’t intentional to set the schedule that far in advance of my next charge, that’s just the way it worked out. When I plugged the car in at 8.30 last night, I could hear the noise of the charge cable locking and whilst the yellow light on the BP Homecharge unit remained on, the green light did not come on and the car did not start charging straight away.

I checked the charge status of the car and unit around 10.30pm and again just before 1am. Everything appeared to remain the same. 1am came and the unit did not switch on, but I know the unit does not communicate with the server constantly and I kind of expected this. I hung around in my garage and at 1.06am SUCCESS! The green light came on, the car awoke and the car dash showed that it was now charging! I had to be up that night anyway for my son, so I kept an eye on charging progress on the Smartcharge phone app. Interestingly, 30 minutes into charging, the app showed the car had been charging for 1hr and 30 minutes, but the level of charge was consistent with the 30 minutes the unit had actually been charging for. I don’t know why this is, but it’s nothing to worry about. The car continued to charge and switched itself off at 3.01am having delivered 3.46kwh at a rate of 1.73kw/h. Using the slow charge was deliberate, firstly to see if the unit would obey this command, and secondly to make sure the battery wasn’t full and so I could see if/how the schedule override worked in the morning. At 8.50am this morning, I pressed the “Charge At Full Speed” button on the app, but whilst the app told me that the car was charging, it was not. I tried the same override on the Chargevision website with the same negative result. I then opened and closed the door (still unlocked) and this seemed to wake the car and it started charging at full speed which is where I am now. I need to go out this afternoon and will tell the charger to revert to the saved schedule once it has delivered enough charge for my needs for today. I will report back tomorrow about whether or not it works again tonight. You should know that generally, there may be a problem getting timed charging to work if you connect the car more than 8-10 hours in advance of the scheduled charging start time as it may go to sleep and be unresponsive to the Homecharge unit commands. You may also need your BMS and ECU’s updated if you have not already done so. I can’t advise on that, but your MG dealer should be able to. Get him to contact MG if he doesn’t know.

In respect of the first failed timed charge after the ECU update mentioned above, I cannot be sure, but I think it is important to allow the charger sufficient time to communicate with the Smartcharge app or Chargevision website before plugging in the car. It shouldn’t need as long as 5 days, but it probably needs more than an hour on the first setting up of a new schedule. I was inspired to persevere and experiment thanks to the posts of GrahamH earlier in this thread, so thank you to him. I am now engaging with MG to let them know the results of my experiments to try and find out what does and doesn’t work. I hope all of this helps!
Please can you tell me the dealer you used
Thanks

I had the latest (Feb 21) BMS installed in my car a few weeks ago and tried timed charging. Initially, my BP Chargemaster/Pulse unit wouldn’t charge at all after this change, not even as a dumb charger. I took it back to the dealer who then updated my ECU’s to ensure they were compatible with timed charging. I’ve no idea what he actually did on that occasion but thanks to this forum, I’ve learned that many dealers do not understand that there may be a need to update other ECU’s when updating the BMS, and my dealer wouldn’t have done so without my prompting. I tried timed charging again after getting the car back, but it still wouldn’t work. The BP Unit was responsive again, but just started charging at full speed immediately the cable was connected. I’ll explain at the end why I suspect that was the case. Then I set up a new test schedule for the slowest rate of charging from 1am to 3am daily on the Chargevision Website approximately 5 days ago. It wasn’t intentional to set the schedule that far in advance of my next charge, that’s just the way it worked out. When I plugged the car in at 8.30 last night, I could hear the noise of the charge cable locking and whilst the yellow light on the BP Homecharge unit remained on, the green light did not come on and the car did not start charging straight away.

I checked the charge status of the car and unit around 10.30pm and again just before 1am. Everything appeared to remain the same. 1am came and the unit did not switch on, but I know the unit does not communicate with the server constantly and I kind of expected this. I hung around in my garage and at 1.06am SUCCESS! The green light came on, the car awoke and the car dash showed that it was now charging! I had to be up that night anyway for my son, so I kept an eye on charging progress on the Smartcharge phone app. Interestingly, 30 minutes into charging, the app showed the car had been charging for 1hr and 30 minutes, but the level of charge was consistent with the 30 minutes the unit had actually been charging for. I don’t know why this is, but it’s nothing to worry about. The car continued to charge and switched itself off at 3.01am having delivered 3.46kwh at a rate of 1.73kw/h. Using the slow charge was deliberate, firstly to see if the unit would obey this command, and secondly to make sure the battery wasn’t full so I could see if/how the schedule override worked in the morning. At 8.50am this morning, I pressed the “Charge At Full Speed” button on the app, but whilst the app told me that the car was charging, it was not. I tried the same override on the Chargevision website with the same negative result. I then opened and closed the door (still unlocked) and this seemed to wake the car and it started charging at full speed which is where I am now. I need to go out this afternoon and will tell the charger to revert to the saved schedule once it has delivered enough charge for my needs for today. I will report back tomorrow about whether or not it works again tonight. You should know that generally, there may be a problem getting timed charging to work if you connect the car more than 8-10 hours in advance of the scheduled charging start time as it may go to sleep and be unresponsive to the Homecharge unit commands. You may also need your BMS and ECU’s updated if you have not already done so. I can’t advise on that, but your MG dealer should be able to. Get him to contact MG if he doesn’t know.

In respect of the first failed timed charge after the ECU update mentioned above, I cannot be sure, but I think it is important to allow the charger sufficient time to communicate with the Smartcharge app or Chargevision website before plugging in the car. It shouldn’t need as long as 5 days, but it probably needs more than an hour on the first setting up of a new schedule. I was inspired to persevere and experiment thanks to the posts of GrahamH earlier in this thread, so thank you to him. I am now engaging with BP to let them know the results of my experiments to try and find out what does and doesn’t work. I hope all of this helps!

just had latest BMS today 8/4/21 tried to charge with doors unlocked, no luck only when door locked on 7kw
is there something I’ve missed or they’ve not done?
I believe I’ve had the comfort update, car bought Dec
any suggestions

Timed charging worked again last night. Having successfully time-charged two nights ago, and then manually charged via the override on the webpage yesterday, the charger automatically reverted to my timed charging schedule once it had finished the manual charge without any intervention, so last nights timed charge worked ok. Couple of things to note. Strangely, whilst the charge was set for between 1am and 3am, (car plugged in at 8.30pm) the app and webpage reported that a charge had started at 9.45pm, and ran for about an hour delivering 1.49kw before stopping, and then the timed charge started just after 1am. There are reasons to think that this reporting may be spurious, as the car does not normally respond to separate charge commands unless the car has been unplugged in between. It could have been some form of trickle charge and the app just misreported the level of power drawn. I will raise this with BP. Also, I observed the charger start its timed charge at 1.13am, not the 1am it was supposed to. This slight tardiness is, I believe, normal. Whilst the charger can be interrogated by the app to report its status at any time, it does not communicate with the server to receive orders all the time, just at periodic intervals.

just had latest BMS today 8/4/21 tried to charge with doors unlocked, no luck only when door locked on 7kw
is there something I’ve missed or they’ve not done?
I believe I’ve had the comfort update, car bought Dec
any suggestions
They need to update other ECU's. If they don't know which, they will need to contact MG for an education. I believe updating the EVCC is key to this, but there may be others.

Just to add, purchase date doesn't really help you understand what has or hasn't been done. I bought mine in September and apart from adding Comfort 2 before purchase, the car had been sitting with all other original software/firmware from date of manufacture in late 2019/early 2020 until I had it updated a few weeks ago. Many garages won't update this stuff unless someone asks, as many technicians don't understand why it makes a difference. Your garage sounds like they don't have a clue, but that is not unusual. They are all still learning about EV's which work in totally different ways to petrol/diesel cars. My garage are still learning, but at least they are willing to listen and learn. They spoke to MG and MG helped them sort my issue. Things will get better as more and more people buy EV's and the technicians are used to working on them. Primarily though, if your car won't charge unlocked on AC, you won't get timed charging.

Timed charging worked again last night. Having successfully time-charged two nights ago, and then manually charged via the override on the webpage yesterday, the charger automatically reverted to my timed charging schedule once it had finished the manual charge without any intervention, so last nights timed charge worked ok. Couple of things to note. Strangely, whilst the charge was set for between 1am and 3am, (car plugged in at 8.30pm) the app and webpage reported that a charge had started at 9.45pm, and ran for about an hour delivering 1.49kw before stopping, and then the timed charge started just after 1am. There are reasons to think that this reporting may be spurious, as the car does not normally respond to separate charge commands unless the car has been unplugged in between. It could have been some form of trickle charge and the app just misreported the level of power drawn. I will raise this with BP. Also, I observed the charger start its timed charge at 1.13am, not the 1am it was supposed to. This slight tardiness is, I believe, normal. Whilst the charger can be interrogated by the app to report its status at any time, it does not communicate with the server to receive orders all the time, just at periodic intervals.
SUCCESS!

I managed to charge last night on the timer. It went like this...

I set a daily charge of two hours every night from 10:15 to 12:15. This I did at about noon, car not plugged in.

6:30pm Unlocked the car and lifted the charge port cover and relocked the car.

8:30pm plugged the car in, did not disturb car locks etc. No sound of the plug lock locking in.

At 10:21pm the car started charging schedule +6 minutes.
At 12:21 the car stopped charging as per schedule +6 minutes.
Unplugged the car this morning, plug lock still engaged.

It's only taken a year to find out how to do it.

Hope this helps anyone else with the same predicament. It seems the car is up to date with software and BP chargemaster charger has some inordinate delays built in.
Now to work on how long each delay is.

Many thanks to Angusgolfer for pointing the way.

Steve

SUCCESS!

I managed to charge last night on the timer. It went like this...

I set a daily charge of two hours every night from 10:15 to 12:15. This I did at about noon, car not plugged in.

6:30pm Unlocked the car and lifted the charge port cover and relocked the car.

8:30pm plugged the car in, did not disturb car locks etc. No sound of the plug lock locking in.

At 10:21pm the car started charging schedule +6 minutes.
At 12:21 the car stopped charging as per schedule +6 minutes.
Unplugged the car this morning, plug lock still engaged.

It's only taken a year to find out how to do it.

Hope this helps anyone else with the same predicament. It seems the car is up to date with software and BP chargemaster charger has some inordinate delays built in.
Now to work on how long each delay is.

Many thanks to Angusgolfer for pointing the way.

Steve
Great that it has worked for you. I think the BP app and chargevision website could be improved drastically, but at least its working!

I can confirm that the 'charge with doors unlocked update', about August 2020 has an effect on the cars ability to take delayed/scheduled charging. I would recommend that the vehicle is returned to the dealer for the update. Our dealer, so far, have done all updates since Jan 2020, FOC.

Apart from one 'glitch', where the car was plugged in 12 hours before the scheduled charge was due, our BPChargemaster charger has been working OK since 10 March.

A good delayed charge now looks like the following on the Chargevision website (not the Smartcharge app)

16:30 (4:30 pm)Vehicle connected zero charge or sometimes a small charge will show in the first 15 minutes
00:12 (12:15 am)Charge starts on schedule. This can be delayed by around 15 minutes as there is a polling delay and the server only seems to store data every 15 minutes
02:15 (2:15 am)Main charge finishes and car moves into equalisation charge
09:00 (9:00 am)Equalisation ends and graph shows zero charge again

Our schedule is currently set to 00:15 (12:00 am) - 12:15 (12:00 pm) to allow for long equalisation after the bad BMS software installed around October 2020. I would normally expect the equalisation to be shorter and the schedule can then be shortened also. Equalisation power usage appears to be only around 300W or less, so not such a big deal if it runs outside of a cheap tariff.

To date I have no explanation from BPC to say why the problem has 'gone away' but I suspect a firmware update on the Charger. They clearly have also been working on the apps but deny this also.

I hope this is some help

1617991083940.png

Hi Jake, Would be good if you could let us know your experience with timed charging when you can. Would be nice to know how widespread a problem it was!
Hi Angus et al. I can now confirm my ZS does not respond to timed charging on BP Chargemaster 7kWh charge vision. It does not AC charge with doors unlocked either so I guess that falls into line with your findings that it needs an update. I'm not fussed for either timed charging or doors unlocked so will wait until my first service in September before approaching my dealer.

As far as my BP Chargemaster installation goes it will do timed charging with both a Honda e and Mini EV so I am quite happy with that now BP have sorted the PEN voltage monitoring system they supplied with the charger. However both those cars have their own built-in timed charge facility if required so when the novelty of playing with the options in charge vision has worn off I will probably just set it to instant charge and leave it at that.

I hope your problems with BP are now sorted and well done for pursuing them and keeping us all informed. Cheers

Hi Angus et al. I can now confirm my ZS does not respond to timed charging on BP Chargemaster 7kWh charge vision. It does not AC charge with doors unlocked either so I guess that falls into line with your findings that it needs an update. I'm not fussed for either timed charging or doors unlocked so will wait until my first service in September before approaching my dealer.

As far as my BP Chargemaster installation goes it will do timed charging with both a Honda e and Mini EV so I am quite happy with that now BP have sorted the PEN voltage monitoring system they supplied with the charger. However both those cars have their own built-in timed charge facility if required so when the novelty of playing with the options in charge vision has worn off I will probably just set it to instant charge and leave it at that.

I hope your problems with BP are now sorted and well done for pursuing them and keeping us all informed. Cheers
BP Chargemaster/Pulse timed charging seems to be working fine now, but you definitely need an updated BMS, OBC and possibly EVCC. A few configuration settings also need to be correct. Your dealer should have the info accessible on what is needed for your car, but if not, press them to contact MG when you come to have the work done in September. In the meantime, I have spoken to 2 BP engineers who I believe are having a look at how the Web App and Phone App interact with the charger to improve the communication and reporting accuracy and reliability.

BP Chargemaster/Pulse timed charging seems to be working fine now, but you definitely need an updated BMS, OBC and possibly EVCC. A few configuration settings also need to be correct. Your dealer should have the info accessible on what is needed for your car, but if not, press them to contact MG when you come to have the work done in September. In the meantime, I have spoken to 2 BP engineers who I believe are having a look at how the Web App and Phone App interact with the charger to improve the communication and reporting accuracy and reliability.
Our car has since been back for a persistent airbag light.
All updates that can be done have been done (they assure me).

Plugged the car in for instant charge at the weekend, wouldn't charge because I had programmed the BP app/website with a daily 2 hour charge, this had to be cancelled, it took more than 15 minutes for the app to let go of the timer before instant charge could happen. Of course during this time I had unplugged, plugged, locked & unlocked the car several times.
It seems that communication from app to charger via BP servers is taking an age.
I am coming to the conclusion that there might have been no problem with the car after all and it is just a matter of waiting long enough for the system to work.

I don't know for certain, but I believe based on experience that the server only sends instructions to the charger periodically...perhaps every 15-25 mins or so. On the other hand, if you interrogate the charger (asking it for information), the charger will provide the information instantaneously. That doesn't mean that interrogating it speeds up the frequency of information flow the other way unfortunately so there doesn't appear to be a way of getting the charger to implement schedule changes more quickly.

Our car has since been back for a persistent airbag light.
All updates that can be done have been done (they assure me).

Plugged the car in for instant charge at the weekend, wouldn't charge because I had programmed the BP app/website with a daily 2 hour charge, this had to be cancelled, it took more than 15 minutes for the app to let go of the timer before instant charge could happen. Of course during this time I had unplugged, plugged, locked & unlocked the car several times.
It seems that communication from app to charger via BP servers is taking an age.
I am coming to the conclusion that there might have been no problem with the car after all and it is just a matter of waiting long enough for the system to work.
I don't know for certain, but I believe based on experience that the server only sends instructions to the charger periodically...perhaps every 15-25 mins or so. On the other hand, if you interrogate the charger (asking it for information), the charger will provide the information instantaneously. That doesn't mean that interrogating it speeds up the frequency of information flow the other way unfortunately so there doesn't appear to be a way of getting the charger to implement schedule changes more quickly.
Hi Angus & Stevee. I have set up the WebApp with a schedule for 20 hours a day, every day and charge as required. This has enabled me to monitor the communication between server and charger. They appear to "talk" every 15 minutes as the current charge shows the SoC at 15 minute intervals on the graphics WebApp. I know from a couple of trials that any timed start or stop can take up to 15 minutes to take effect. When and if I need timed charging then i will allow 15minute leeway to be sure of obtaining the required charge but for now just plugging in when convenient is best for me at the moment. Hope this helps to identify how the App seems to be working. Personally I think they have spent too much time on fancy graphics rather than the practicalities of user needs. Good luck in your quest for reliable timed charging.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom