• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Brakes didn't work, auto assist didn't work, crashed!

Bamboo

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi All, well we were loving our MG ZS EV, but we've had a low speed crash, and I tell you , the brakes didn't work! We'd already had some electronic weirdness: the console wasn't switching on, just stayed blank, and a couple of other electronic things went wrong, the lane warning system turned itself off and on while you're driving along. So we had it booked in for a service, but before that, while driving at a low speed in congestion 10mph, had to brake and just nothing happened. What about this automatic crash prevention mechanism?

What happened, I don't know, just slammed my foot on the brake and the thing just sailed forwards into the back of the car in front.

Has anyone else had this failure??

The brake pedal will still operate the brakes hydraulically even without any assistance from the vehicle (e.g even if the power is off).

I'd suggest if this happened you have a fundamental issue with the vehicle.

Do the brakes work now? If so you'll have a very difficult job convincing anyone they weren't working at the time of your incident.

Also worth noting that the collision detection doesn't work below 10? Mph to allow for parking etc.

Yeah unfortunately your brakes aren't drive by wire, so if your brakes failed then you have a hydraulic leak and a more serious issue with the car. If the brakes work now (after the incident) then it sounds like you may have slammed your foot on the accelerator by mistake (it is easily done in a panic).

Or diesel? I have found it very slippery in the past
You would feel the ABS going crazy if this were the case... There is too much we don't know about this incident to be passing a theory about how it happened in honesty. It sounds like they have received a bit of a lemon anyway, but there are too many variables to know before an assessment could be made.

Some abs systems don't activate below a certain speed?
I had a 2003 plate Astra and even the ABS on that activated at <10mph as it kicked in numerous times on ice and snow so that I believe is an incorrect statement... ABS is ALWAYS on regardless of speed

I did say some not all done a quick Google search and seams quite a few cars have don't activate at slower speeds some as low as 4mph and others 15mph so I don't think it's a incorrect statement?
And I am definitely not saying this has happened in this case

Reminds me of the Audi 5000 "sudden acceleration" issue from the '80s. Where the car allegedly accelerated, with the foot on the brake causing deaths and numerous accidents. It turns out, Americans were stamping on the 'gas' pedal mistakenly, instead of the brake, as they were closer together then they were used to.

If this was the case in this scenario, I would think the driver would have noticed the acceleration before the impact, but he didn't mention it.

Reminds me of the Audi 5000 "sudden acceleration" issue from the '80s. Where the car allegedly accelerated, with the foot on the brake causing deaths and numerous accidents. It turns out, Americans were stamping on the 'gas' pedal mistakenly, instead of the brake, as they were closer together then they were used to.

If this was the case in this scenario, I would think the driver would have noticed the acceleration before the impact, but he didn't mention it.
There is a lot of "detail" missing from the summary to make any sort of meaningful assessment of what may have happened.

Brake failure report on an MG ZS in this thread as link below. Similar discussions to on this thread.
No conclusion or update that I could see from the Original poster in that thread, but he appears to have been on the forum since.

Hopefully Bamboo reports back with a conclusion to this significant issue.

The brake pedal will still operate the brakes hydraulically even without any assistance from the vehicle (e.g even if the power is off).
Hmm, yes you're right of course, I hadn't thought of that.

The car has been written off, we asked them to check for faults.
... stamping on the 'gas' pedal mistakenly, instead of the brake...

If this was the case in this scenario, I would think the driver would have noticed the acceleration before the impact ...
You're right. I was clear in my mind that it definately hadn't lurched forwards.

All in all, I realize now (thanks for the very helpful points you all made), that there is a disconnect between the electronic safety braking, and the hydraulics.

The electronics were horrible as I said, the console had stopped functioning, the lane warning system would turn off and then later on again, while driving along. There had been two instances where the car just failed to move off, once at traffic lights, where it just didn't move off again (with a combustion engine, you now when you've stalled it) despite not having been taken out of drive mode, as you wouldn't at lights, would you.

So we were unhappy with it and it was booked in for a service. but as Ozzie rightly points out, the electronics shouldn't mess with the mechanical side. That's why I thought I'd post here, in case anyone else had had such issues.

We'll have to wait to see what the insurance uncovers.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom