Brakes failed

Ouch !.
If the brake pedal had sunk to the carpet, then that would suggest / indicates a complete hydraulic failure of the braking system.
Do you still have a brake pedal now, because the brake should still be un operative if it has lost its brake fluid.
Master cylinder failure is possible, but there would be evidence of fluid loss surely.
To lose the hydraulic pressure, the hydraulic fluid would need to be badly leaking or lost altogether.
Is there any brake fluid remaining in the master cylinder ?.

Is there a way to load the dash cam video on this thread or is it photo’s only?

In the video you can hear the KERS working as the car approaches the house. You can see the speed go all the way down to 4mph before turning onto the drive. You can also hear there was no warning alarm from the car, etc.

All these comments have been immensely helpful. Hope we can get to the bottom of this and not be put off from driving the car ever again.
Can you just upload it to YouTube and put the link on here.
I’d be very interested to see it

Did you take a video of the brake pedal going flat to the floor with no pressure afterwards?

- I just showed my wife, she’s now worried about driving ours to work tomorrow!

The first time it happened I was coasting to a stop. You could feel the kers slowing the car down. When I put my foot on the break the car speed up. Which is why I described it at cancelled the kers. (Sorry, I’m not very technical). I can’t imagine why it would have felt like it sped up instead of slowing down.

In that instant I pumped the brake pedal and the car stopped. On the driveway I didn’t have the time. It just hit the house with my foot flat on the brake and the pedal to the floor.
If after the first time did you stop and not drive any more until this had gone to the workshop for investigation using the AA to take you there.

If after the first time did you stop and not drive any more until this had gone to the workshop for investigation using the AA to take you there.
The first time it was on an open road with no traffic and was more of an ‘oh that was weird’ moment. So just shrugged it off.

You should not shrug of a brake failure of any type, how much time had passed between each event, if you had stopped and had the car taken in you could have been on a better foot as it would have been on the garage then.

Could I ask how old is the car as this is something that other ZS to be look out for. Yours could be just a one off but I do feel sorry for you.

I know it is a difficult point to raise but could this possibly just be driver error? Complete brake failures are so rare on modern cars. Could you have pressed both the brake and the accelerator at the same time? Are you used to driving an auto and fully familiar with the ZS? Could the lack of regen caught you out? Are you an experienced driver? Are you completely sure that the brakes failed? Did you actually see the brake pedal full down to the floor? Your approach to your drive seems quite brisk? As I said I’m not without sympathy but as you posted and kindly shared I thought I’d ask the obvious questions 🙂

I know it is a difficult point to raise but could this possibly just be driver error? Complete brake failures are so rare on modern cars. Could you have pressed both the brake and the accelerator at the same time? Are you used to driving an auto and fully familiar with the ZS? Could the lack of regen caught you out? Are you an experienced driver? Are you completely sure that the brakes failed? Did you actually see the brake pedal full down to the floor? Your approach to your drive seems quite brisk? As I said I’m not without sympathy but as you posted and kindly shared I thought I’d ask the obvious questions 🙂
I do value all the questions and the feedback. The reason in posting all this was not to scare anyone but rather to find out if this has happened to anyone else and to find a common denominator. Be that me or my specific car.
A good outcome for me is to not lose faith/trust and to continue enjoying my ZS. I’m a bit of a MG fan and also own a MG3.

To your questions, Very experienced driver in general doing circa 30k miles annually for work when I was younger but only circa 2000 miles in the ZS.
I don’t believe it was double pedals but will take a look at the pedal spacing when I get the car back.

I do value all the questions and the feedback. The reason in posting all this was not to scare anyone but rather to find out if this has happened to anyone else and to find a common denominator. Be that me or my specific car.
A good outcome for me is to not lose faith/trust and to continue enjoying my ZS. I’m a bit of a MG fan and also own a MG3.

To your questions, Very experienced driver in general doing circa 30k miles annually for work when I was younger but only circa 2000 miles in the ZS.
I don’t believe it was double pedals but will take a look at the pedal spacing when I get the car back.
Thank you. It’s nice of you to share your bad experience. I do hope that you can come to a conclusion that restores your faith in the car, whatever that conclusion may be.

A few more thoughts....
The ACC system obviously has a control link to the braking system that allows it to slow the car when it needs to. This is likely to be an electro/hydraulic control valve. Should that valve go faulty it is conceivable that it could "dump" the hydraulic pressure at a crucial moment.

Before accepting the car back I would want full details of the investigations and the results and the repairs that have been carried out. Or insist it is not fit for purpose and demand a new one.

I'd be almost certain that the collision detection status events are logged (enabled/disabled, triggered etc.) - you might want to check that to help 'slim' your checklist of things that could have gone wrong.

Had you been using the cruise control before this? Mine sometimes lurches forward towards the stationary car in front when I activate MG Pilot in traffic. It's as if the radar hasn't had time to activate. I end up having to stab the brake to stop the car hitting the one in front.
I would not recommend switching on MG pilot on when in traffic, if you wish to use that way make sure you have it on and running before you get to stopped traffic. I have not used the cruise control in stop start traffic but after some amount of time standing still doesn’t it go back to standby.

A few more thoughts....
The ACC system obviously has a control link to the braking system that allows it to slow the car when it needs to. This is likely to be an electro/hydraulic control valve. Should that valve go faulty it is conceivable that it could "dump" the hydraulic pressure at a crucial moment.

Before accepting the car back I would want full details of the investigations and the results and the repairs that have been carried out. Or insist it is not fit for purpose and demand a new one.
As the brake system is a closed circuit a vale opening pressure should still be there reduced possible more likely increased there is no where the fluid to be dumped too unless there is a leak.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom