Brakes release timing and oil leak?

Bishibashi

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hey all, i've noticed something that feels a bit odd when i put my MG4 (72 plate) into drive or reverse mode from a parked position. Just throwing this out there for a sense check.

When the car is parked the brakes are automatically applied. You then hold the brake pedal down and place the car into drive or reverse then release the brake, I thought the brakes are then released from the wheels automatically however the brakes remain applied until I start applying pressure to the accelerator, they then release as the car starts moving...

Is this normal?? Part of me thinks the brakes should release before you tell the car to begin moving not when your trying to move.

I have also noticed trace of an oil leak on the ground today from the rear drivers side, I've called my dealership and now booked in for to investigate these 2 issues on 3rd January, apparently it's safe to drive... (pic attached)

Any thoughts on these issues?

Cheers all

Attachments

• 20231213_130030.jpg
    20231213_130030.jpg
    774.2 KB · Views: 75
Brakes hold the car until you tell it to go, at which point they release. The exception is if you are on the flat (or the rear end is facing downhill) and you select reverse - the car should start to slowly move.

Oil leak is well covered here, but you're the first person in a long while to notice one. Has yours not previously had the oil leak fix?

Thanks for clarifying the brakes, I'll test and see. The auto hold on a slope is something I forgot about and might be making this happen.

No I haven't seen or had the oil leak fix on my vehicle yet though on the phone they said it's a common issue and said that they'll likely apply the fix on 3rd Jan

It’s a common issue but if I were you I would not drive the car and ask for it to be picked up! Isn’t that covered by any road side assistance service?

Pedant alert! ... you want your car to brake not break. ;)

BTW - my car took 3 goes to fix the oil leak; I continued to drive it in the meantime figuring that if it was important for me to not drive it then they would have said so. (In fact I clearly stated that in an email to my dealer, and if any damage subsequently occurred then it would still be covered under warranty because they hadn't told me not to drive it ... they didn't say that because they'd have to provide me with a courtesy car for the duration). :)

When the car is parked the brakes are automatically applied. You then hold the brake peddle down and place the car into drive or reverse then release the brake, i thought the brakes are then released from the wheels automatically however the brakes remain applied until i start applying pressure to the accelerator, they then release as the car starts moving...
Once you have released the brake pedal and the car is not moving with the car in 'Drive', press the brake pedal again and release it, the car should then crawl forwards

It's ok folks, it turned out I was simply being a tired idiot. I was parked on a slight incline at work so the car thought I was on a hill and held the brakes until I touched the accelerator 😴🤪

Thanks for all your input though!

It's ok folks, it turned out I was simply being a tired idiot. I was parked on a slight incline at work so the car thought I was on a hill and held the brakes until I touched the accelerator 😴🤪

Thanks for all your input though!
If when you are parked on a slope keep your foot on the brake after engaging D or R and release the handbrake then press the accelerator you don't get the sudden jerk when you move off.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 501 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back