Bricked at the charger - should there be a nationwide recall?

Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
A Eurotunnel charger on the UK side got me. 'System fault - HV battery disconnected - stop safely'. The Trophy LR is now outside the Ashford MG dealer and we are in a Premer Inn about 200 yards away. Waiting for the garage to open. With the AA patrol we tried the system reboot options. The MG advised fix (elsewhere on the forum) of disconnecting the 12v battery and then clamping the negative and positive cables together for 10 mins to discharge the residual current/system memory and force a system reboot did not work. The OBD generic general fault reset did not work. The (temporary) replacement of the crap MG 12v battery with a beefier Bosch did not work. Praying to Saint Anthony...nope. This problem is often enough mentioned on the forum and I have seen mention of a software fix. If there is such a fix it needs to be applied urgently to all affected vehicles. MG pull your finger out.

A Eurotunnel charger on the UK side got me. 'System fault - HV battery disconnected - stop safely'. The Trophy LR is now outside the Ashford MG dealer and we are in a Premer Inn about 200 yards away. Waiting for the garage to open. With the AA patrol we tried the system reboot options. The MG advised fix (elsewhere on the forum) of disconnecting the 12v battery and then clamping the negative and positive cables together for 10 mins to discharge the residual current/system memory and force a system reboot did not work. The OBD generic general fault reset did not work. The (temporary) replacement of the crap MG 12v battery with a beefier Bosch did not work. Praying to Saint Anthony...nope. This problem is often enough mentioned on the forum and I have seen mention of a software fix. If there is such a fix it needs to be applied urgently to all affected vehicles. MG pull your finger out.
Please 🙏 let us know how it goes at the dealership this morning !.

Sad to hear that, can I ask when did you collect your LR?
I'm asking because I read somewhere about this affecting the earliest LR's (typically from the ex-demo batch) and has now been fixed with a firmware update

Sad to hear that, can I ask when did you collect your LR?
I'm asking because I read somewhere about this affecting the earliest LR's (typically from the ex-demo batch) and has now been fixed with a firmware update
Thanks for the interest. I have seen that post too. I need to find it again so i can tell the garage. Yes, it is a December demo vehicle. I imagined the Ashford MG dealer would be world experts in eurotunnel bricked MGs but they only admitted to a couple of MG5s.

Interesting that it said, 'stop safely', presumably it thought you were still moving.

Could it be possible it's just a coincidence and it's a power steering fault? Your cars symptoms sound a little different to others that are bricked at chargers

Yes. I thought it was ironic. Now I think about it the only fault shown on the AA scanner was Power Steering.
Silly thought but is it possible that you plugged in while the car was still in a Ready state ? It is so easy to not notice when pre-occupied as there is no giveaway engine noise/vibration.
Even if so it shouldn't brick the car. 🙁

I think other owners have issues with a euro tunnel charger ?.
Not sure if it’s the same one though ?.
That one was on the Euro side, per this post. OP mentioned the UK side. So not the same individual charger. It would be good to know if it was the same brand (EV BOX), though.

Edit: It doesn't look like they are the same.

Last edited:
Here is a copy of a post I made earlier.

After a WhatsApp discussion with my dealer, having told them about the notification mentioned by Miles in the podcast, they pushed MG technical for an answer on this and their last replies goes something like.

"Voila, with a bit of pressing, they've now released the bulletin advising of which updates to do"

So if your dealer has not received the bulletin, ask them to contact MG technical.

Picked up my long range today and was told that all updates have been applied.

I do have a couple of other issues but will search for answers to them before whining LOL.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, Miles did say that the only way that the car can be checked for it’s software version, was to actually plug it in at a dealership.
There are two different software versions apparently, the first batch of cars ( pre March 22 ) are the suspected problem cars.
But of course some later cars, could have slipped through the net also ?.
As you are an early adopter, then maybe the update is required on your car !.
How close are you from the charger that bricked the car ?.
If they update your car, would it be possible to get the dealer to try it on the same charger after the update is done ?.
This would almost certainly prove it was the software that caused the problem !.
When did the car brick ?.
Was it at the beginning of the charge or as the charge had ended ????.

Silly thought but is it possible that you plugged in while the car was still in a Ready state ? It is so easy to not notice when pre-occupied as there is no giveaway engine noise/vibration.
Even if so it shouldn't brick the car. 🙁
It is possible although i was trying hard to be 'shut down.
If I remember correctly, Miles did say that the only way that the car can be checked for it’s software version, was to actually plug it in at a dealership.
There are two different software versions apparently, the first batch of cars ( pre March 22 ) are the suspected problem cars.
If they update your car, would it be possible to get the dealer to try it on the same charger after the update is done ?.
This would almost certainly prove it was the software that caused the problem !.
The charger is 10 miles away within the Eurotunnel campus which is difficult to access for security reasons. The service manager can't see updates relating to CVU and EVCC on his screen. He did candidly admit that people reading things on the Internet was the bane of his life. I don't know at what point the charge fault occurred. It was within a 20 minute time frame.

It is possible although i was trying hard to be 'shut down.

The charger is 10 miles away within the Eurotunnel campus which is difficult to access for security reasons. The service manager can't see updates relating to CVU and EVCC on his screen. He did candidly admit that people reading things on the Internet was the bane of his life. I don't know at what point the charge fault occurred. It was within a 20 minute time frame.
By bain of his life did he mean that he was reading up on things so as to be conversant and competent?

He did candidly admit that people reading things on the Internet was the bane of his life.
All well and good tell him - smug bugger !.
Confidence I like, but cocky gets my back up.
That type of attitude does nothing to help, when you are stuck stranded 200 miles away from home with a dead car.
Dealers generally have a strong dislike to EV owners who try to provide them with information that THEY should be providing to the customer !.
E.G. - The inbuilt Sat Nav on the facelift model only displaying the current location of the car and not progressing along with the chosen route selected.
Many dealers not being able to get this resolved, but a member of the forum sorting the problem out for the benefit of himself and others, then sharing it on the forum, need I say anymore.
Point him to thread, if he needs to benefit from items that have been resolved on the internet.
They have the equipment and the training by all accounts ?.
Let's see how good he REALLY is by offering his expert knowledge in rectify the problem on your car then.
Or is it going to ( as I suspect ) be one of these type 🤷‍♂️ of moments.
Clear the codes and ship it out !.
He could be proactive and speak to the MG Tech Team first of course, which are then likely to request they the dealer then upload's the data pack from the car, so they can remotely track and trace the problem and then provide a fix.
Of course this not likely to happen, because he disregards the information from the internet.
It's the "Bain of his life" remember.

Has anybody who owns a Mk2 Standard Range (like mine) experienced this issue yet? Mine is a Jan 22 build so from what was said above runs the risk of running the suspect software based on what was said above.

And how many cars in total have been bricked by this issue?

As I have said before I have held off rapid charging my car until I get answers to these questions but I don't feel I should be limited to what I can do with my car like that. My dealer palmed me off telling me there was no recall for my car but there is no recall being made by MG for this so that's hardly helpful!

My Long Range was manufactured in October 21 and MG have told me it should be ok. Cars effected were those manufactured in August 21 and were delivered as demonstrators. However, without all the facts, I am still hesitant to rapid charge and therefore on a recent holiday to Wales I relied entirely on the granny charger. Would be great to see a copy of the actual bulletin from MG about this issue on this forum, so that we have all the details.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom