Bricked at the charger - should there be a nationwide recall?

All well and good tell him - smug bugger !.
Confidence I like, but cocky gets my back up.
That type of attitude does nothing to help, when you are stuck stranded 200 miles away from home with a dead car.
Dealers generally have a strong dislike to EV owners who try to provide them with information that THEY should be providing to the customer !.
E.G. - The inbuilt Sat Nav on the facelift model only displaying the current location of the car and not progressing along with the chosen route selected.
Many dealers not being able to get this resolved, but a member of the forum sorting the problem out for the benefit of himself and others, then sharing it on the forum, need I say anymore.
Point him to thread, if he needs to benefit from items that have been resolved on the internet.
They have the equipment and the training by all accounts ?.
Let's see how good he REALLY is by offering his expert knowledge in rectify the problem on your car then.
Or is it going to ( as I suspect ) be one of these type 🤷‍♂️ of moments.
Clear the codes and ship it out !.
He could be proactive and speak to the MG Tech Team first of course, which are then likely to request they the dealer then upload's the data pack from the car, so they can remotely track and trace the problem and then provide a fix.
Of course this not likely to happen, because he disregards the information from the internet.
It's the "Bain of his life" remember.
(Think it's spelt bane) 😃

By bain of his life did he mean that he was reading up on things so as to be conversant and competent?
What a kind thought. I think lovemyev is closer with his analysis but to be fair he is young and doesn't appreciate that admitting what you don't know is a better way to go. More to follow...

(Think it's spelt bane) 😃
My Long Range was manufactured in October 21 and MG have told me it should be ok. Cars effected were those manufactured in August 21 and were delivered as demonstrators. However, without all the facts, I am still hesitant to rapid charge and therefore on a recent holiday to Wales I relied entirely on the granny charger. Would be great to see a copy of the actual bulletin from MG about this issue on this forum, so that we have all the details.
I was worried too so for my first ever rapid - yesterday - I chose to detour to the Electric Forecourt in Braintree. It all went well. An attendant came over and showed me what to do. I became over confident. It was attempt number 2 at eurotunnel that got me.

A Eurotunnel charger on the UK side got me. 'System fault - HV battery disconnected - stop safely'. The Trophy LR is now outside the Ashford MG dealer and we are in a Premer Inn about 200 yards away. Waiting for the garage to open. With the AA patrol we tried the system reboot options. The MG advised fix (elsewhere on the forum) of disconnecting the 12v battery and then clamping the negative and positive cables together for 10 mins to discharge the residual current/system memory and force a system reboot did not work. The OBD generic general fault reset did not work. The (temporary) replacement of the crap MG 12v battery with a beefier Bosch did not work. Praying to Saint Anthony...nope. This problem is often enough mentioned on the forum and I have seen mention of a software fix. If there is such a fix it needs to be applied urgently to all affected vehicles. MG pull your finger out.
Same has happened to me, MG5, but the AA man read the faults with an OBD2 device (nothing shown) then cleared faults anyway and that fixed it, he says it is an MG problem with faulty chargers. Since then I have bought a Bluetooth OBD2 dongle to use with my phone if it happens again.

All well and good tell him - smug bugger !.
Confidence I like, but cocky gets my back up.
That type of attitude does nothing to help, when you are stuck stranded 200 miles away from home with a dead car.
Dealers generally have a strong dislike to EV owners who try to provide them with information that THEY should be providing to the customer !.
E.G. - The inbuilt Sat Nav on the facelift model only displaying the current location of the car and not progressing along with the chosen route selected.
Many dealers not being able to get this resolved, but a member of the forum sorting the problem out for the benefit of himself and others, then sharing it on the forum, need I say anymore.
Point him to thread, if he needs to benefit from items that have been resolved on the internet.
They have the equipment and the training by all accounts ?.
Let's see how good he REALLY is by offering his expert knowledge in rectify the problem on your car then.
Or is it going to ( as I suspect ) be one of these type 🤷‍♂️ of moments.
Clear the codes and ship it out !.
He could be proactive and speak to the MG Tech Team first of course, which are then likely to request they the dealer then upload's the data pack from the car, so they can remotely track and trace the problem and then provide a fix.
Of course this not likely to happen, because he disregards the information from the internet.
It's the "Bain of his life" remember.
The car got into the workshop this afternoon. The dealer rang up to say the 12v battery was reading 3v. What had I done? He clearly thought we had shorted the terminals in our attempt to discharge/reset the system. Answer - No. The excellent AA patrol man was getting 12v when he checked. The only thing that happened subsequently was the car recovery people used jump leads to get enough power to steer the car onto their trailer. Still - 3v is catastrophic. Any ideas?

I was worried too so for my first ever rapid - yesterday - I chose to detour to the Electric Forecourt in Braintree. It all went well. An attendant came over and showed me what to do. I became over confident. It was attempt number 2 at eurotunnel that got me.
I have been fast charging my MG5 for over 10,000 miles almost exclusively and this problem happened twice, first time it went away after 10 min, second it lasted over 2 hours and had to call the dealer and AA. State of health shown with the OBD dongle is 100%, I was expecting 99 or 98.

I do try to slow charge it to 100% once or twice a month to keep the battery balanced

The car got into the workshop this afternoon. The dealer rang up to say the 12v battery was reading 3v. What had I done? He clearly thought we had shorted the terminals in our attempt to discharge/reset the system. Answer - No. The excellent AA patrol man was getting 12v when he checked. The only thing that happened subsequently was the car recovery people used jump leads to get enough power to steer the car onto their trailer. Still - 3v is catastrophic. Any ideas?
Car did not shut down properly and the 12v battery was drained by something.

My Long Range was manufactured in October 21 and MG have told me it should be ok. Cars effected were those manufactured in August 21 and were delivered as demonstrators. However, without all the facts, I am still hesitant to rapid charge and therefore on a recent holiday to Wales I relied entirely on the granny charger. Would be great to see a copy of the actual bulletin from MG about this issue on this forum, so that we have all the details.
How do you know what month it was manufactured in ?

Has anybody who owns a Mk2 Standard Range (like mine) experienced this issue yet? Mine is a Jan 22 build so from what was said above runs the risk of running the suspect software based on what was said above.

And how many cars in total have been bricked by this issue?

As I have said before I have held off rapid charging my car until I get answers to these questions but I don't feel I should be limited to what I can do with my car like that. My dealer palmed me off telling me there was no recall for my car but there is no recall being made by MG for this so that's hardly helpful!
Here is a bit of "Food For Thought" regarding this issue on the face lift model(s).
The SR and the LR have two different battery types.
So, I would very much doubt they are running on the very same BMS software packages.
Therefore BOTH models may not be affected in the very same way.
We know now that some ( maybe all ) LR models are affected.
The SR may not be affected at all ???.
I guess the new facelift model is very similar to the original ZS EV model and therefore could be running on a more tried and tested software package ??.
The LR is a different story altogether.

Are you starting to consider it was a bit of "User Error" at the second rapid then @thingaby ??.
Somehow got the charging sequence / protocol mixed up somehow ?.
Was the car still in the READY mode, when you started the rapid charge by any chance ?.
I agree with @DuracellBunny it is either pulling a drain from the 12 volt battery or the battery itself is faulty maybe.
3 Volts is pretty much as flat as it can get get really !.
You said that the recovery lads had to use a jump pack to get the car onto the low loader, so the battery was already on the way to being discharged at this point.
Did the AA guy, leave the car in STANBY mode by any chance, if so in this condition it is not receiving any charge from the HV battery, into the 12 volt battery.
Given the time delay between getting the car into the workshop, the 12 volt battery would be almost totally drained by then.
They will need a good strong 12 volt battery on the car now, before they can move forward with investigations.
Long shot, but I am starting to wonder if the 12 volt battery is the cause here.
Keep us posted please.

Here is a bit of "Food For Thought" regarding this issue on the face lift model(s).
The SR and the LR have two different battery types.
So, I would very much doubt they are running on the very same BMS software packages.
Therefore BOTH models may not be affected in the very same way.
We know now that some ( maybe all ) LR models are affected.
The SR may not be affected at all ???.
I guess the new facelift model is very similar to the original ZS EV model and therefore could be running on a more tried and tested software package ??.
The LR is a different story altogether.
The SR is affected, I got stuck in mine until the AA could clear it via OBD

I'm not so sure that the low LV battery was the cause, to me it sounds like an effect

When you read the sequence that the OP described, there was definitely charge in the LV battery. The AA man even tried a different battery

The new models charge their batteries even not when in ready mode (sorry if my lingo is wrong, I'm still learning) but it wouldn't surprise me at all if, it does not charge whilst carrying a major fault

To me, the low battery sounds like something that happened after the initial problem

I'm due to pick up my LR this weekend, I asked the dealer about this specific problem, he says that they have had a technical update from MG and mine has the latest update. He did not say if they performed the update, or if the car was already at that revision

It's sounding more like a certain batch, around the build time of the UK demo models are vulnerable to the problem, but clearly something else has to happen for the problem to actually occur

I do wonder if the cars built at the same time for continental Europe are also suffering? They have a different AC on board charger, even though this problem occurred when DC charging, it's anybodies guess if they have different firmware to the UK

If the SR is suffering from the bricking issue it suggests the issue has not been rectified since these vehicles are the latest to be manufactured and therefore should have the latest and most up to date software?

If the SR is suffering from the bricking issue it suggests the issue has not been rectified since these vehicles are the latest to be manufactured and therefore should have the latest and most up to date software?
Mine was one of the first in the country so could be that it’s just on the earliest BMS, I collected it at the start of February

The new models charge their [ auxiliary ] batteries even not when in ready mode (sorry if my lingo is wrong, I'm still learning) but it wouldn't surprise me at all if, it does not charge whilst carrying a major fault
Ready mode is the correct lingo. In ready mode, the DC-DC is active, charging the auxiliary battery. Sometimes slowly (13.x V), sometimes strongly (14.x V).

I like this theory actually. IF the fault is a major one supposedly affecting the high voltage battery, and it sounds like it certainly was, then it could well be deemed not safe to turn the contactors on, which is needed to supply HV power to the DC-DC input, to charge the auxiliary battery.

So that would explain why the auxiliary battery didn't get charged after the fault was lodged at the bricking. I'd expect the auxiliary to last of the order of a week with no charge if there aren't unusual auxiliary loads, but maybe the fault or something else caused extra auxiliary loads.

Remember also that some of these cars have spent months in a parking lot in China awaiting parts. Depending on what parts were missing, the auxiliary battery might not have gotten charged. So that might explain the somewhat higher than usual dead or wounded auxiliary batteries we've been hearing about. That's a bit of a long shot, I'll admit.

Are you starting to consider it was a bit of "User Error" at the second rapid then @thingaby ??.
Somehow got the charging sequence / protocol mixed up somehow ?.
Was the car still in the READY mode, when you started the rapid charge by any chance ?.
I agree with @DuracellBunny it is either pulling a drain from the 12 volt battery or the battery itself is faulty maybe.
3 Volts is pretty much as flat as it can get get really !.
You said that the recovery lads had to use a jump pack to get the car onto the low loader, so the battery was already on the way to being discharged at this point.
Did the AA guy, leave the car in STANBY mode by any chance, if so in this condition it is not receiving any charge from the HV battery, into the 12 volt battery.
Given the time delay between getting the car into the workshop, the 12 volt battery would be almost totally drained by then.
They will need a good strong 12 volt battery on the car now, before they can move forward with investigations.
Long shot, but I am starting to wonder if the 12 volt battery is the cause here.
Keep us posted please.
In the whirlwind of activity around the failure it is hard to know exactly what happened when and therefore doubt creeps in. I am pretty confident it wasn't user error but.......
The AA guy tried a new 12v battery in the hope that would clear the problem. No joy.
The dealer has tried drain tests, I believe without success. They have ordered up a new battery under warranty. It's due here on Thursday.
So far the dealer has just cleared the fault codes. (Its interesting the AA man couldn't although there is plenty on testimony n the forum about this being a bit and miss affair. The AA man was using a computer which he described as 'the new million pound computer we were given last week'.)
I have not persuaded the dealer to seek out the MG Tech advice and then upload the new EVCC sofware fix for Aug 21 manufacture LRs.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom