Brilliant and accurate review of the MG4

NeilF

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Not sure if you follow the Fully Charged Show on YouTube, if you don’t then I can highly recommend it. One of their best presenters, Robert Llewellyn, bought an MG4 a few months ago and did a rave review back then. A few months later he is back with a more in depth review and it’s worth a watch.

It covers the virtues of the MG4s tight turning circle and the horror that is the “Lane Keeping Assistant”, which as all MG4 owners already know, is less of an assistant and more of an surprise attempt to kill you whilst you’re peacefully driving down a country lane.

It’s so bad that I have named my lane keeping assistant Cato, after the sidekick of Inspector Clouseau, who was famed for his surprise martial arts attacks.

Better than the Autocar review of the extended range. Chirps the front wheels under acceleration apparently. Which is amazing for a rear wheel drive car!
Plus they had the 0-60 wrong. I sometimes wonder if they have even driven one.
I haven't seen any YouTube reviews from anyone and I have the first one my dealer has seen.

Not sure if you follow the Fully Charged Show on YouTube, if you don’t then I can highly recommend it. One of their best presenters, Robert Llewellyn, bought an MG4 a few months ago and did a rave review back then. A few months later he is back with a more in depth review and it’s worth a watch.

It covers the virtues of the MG4s tight turning circle and the horror that is the “Lane Keeping Assistant”, which as all MG4 owners already know, is less of an assistant and more of an surprise attempt to kill you whilst you’re peacefully driving down a country lane.

It’s so bad that I have named my lane keeping assistant Cato, after the sidekick of Inspector Clouseau, who was famed for his surprise martial arts attacks.

What this review does not mention is the many other software 'features' that I personally have experienced with my MG4 Trophy (purchased new in June 2023)!
For example, he does not mention that when the 'far too sensitive' light sensor on the dash, having switched the lights on when the car passes into a shadow and then off again when in full sun, proceeds to reactivate the Lane Keeping Assist (LKA).
So, having deactivated the LKA after entering the car in the garage and then having driven out of the garage, I find that I then need to switch the LKA off again before setting off.
I also tested this by partially covering the light sensor with my hand and noting that when I then put the car in drive, the LKA is reactivated.
Would not be so annoying if the light sensor were not so over-sensitive!
I too have had the car now for around 3 months and only last night for the first time I was driving home in the dark from visiting friends and experienced the awful high beam assist!
In the end I had to pull over and figure out how to deactivate this annoying option as it was going from high to low beam and back continuously (even when it illuminated a reflective roadside sign for eg.)
As many others have reported, I have also had issues with the infotainment screen having off-days with the DAB radio disappearing and then the screen becoming unstable or completely going blank.
I am depositing the car at the main dealer today for potentially 1 week in order to investigate this last issue.
Unfortunately I do not have any confidence that they will resolve this issue as the car has already been into the dealer and all that they did was to perform a software reset as there was not a software update to potentially solve this particular very intermittent problem.
I should mention that for the first 7 weeks that I had the car it performed without any noticeable issues (apart from the LKA of course which I simply had to put up with).
I find that I am now struggling to decide whether to simply return the car to the dealer (and to most likely suffer the loss of a significant amount of cash) - or to hope that MG eventually get around to fixing at least some of these very annoying issues!
Such a shame, since I agree with the reviewer that in many ways the car is amazing to drive.

What this review does not mention is the many other software 'features' that I personally have experienced with my MG4 Trophy (purchased new in June 2023)!
For example, he does not mention that when the 'far too sensitive' light sensor on the dash, having switched the lights on when the car passes into a shadow and then off again when in full sun, proceeds to reactivate the Lane Keeping Assist (LKA).
So, having deactivated the LKA after entering the car in the garage and then having driven out of the garage, I find that I then need to switch the LKA off again before setting off.
I also tested this by partially covering the light sensor with my hand and noting that when I then put the car in drive, the LKA is reactivated.
Would not be so annoying if the light sensor were not so over-sensitive!
I too have had the car now for around 3 months and only last night for the first time I was driving home in the dark from visiting friends and experienced the awful high beam assist!
In the end I had to pull over and figure out how to deactivate this annoying option as it was going from high to low beam and back continuously (even when it illuminated a reflective roadside sign for eg.)
As many others have reported, I have also had issues with the infotainment screen having off-days with the DAB radio disappearing and then the screen becoming unstable or completely going blank.
I am depositing the car at the main dealer today for potentially 1 week in order to investigate this last issue.
Unfortunately I do not have any confidence that they will resolve this issue as the car has already been into the dealer and all that they did was to perform a software reset as there was not a software update to potentially solve this particular very intermittent problem.
I should mention that for the first 7 weeks that I had the car it performed without any noticeable issues (apart from the LKA of course which I simply had to put up with).
I find that I am now struggling to decide whether to simply return the car to the dealer (and to most likely suffer the loss of a significant amount of cash) - or to hope that MG eventually get around to fixing at least some of these very annoying issues!
Such a shame, since I agree with the reviewer that in many ways the car is amazing to drive.

If purchased in June, you’re still well within rejection territory.
You’re past the ‘very easy’ rejection time limit, but you’re still within the time zone that gives then one opportunity to fix any issues and that’s it.
If you want to go down this route inform them on email (copying in finance if applicable) stating that they are getting one attempt only to fix the issues and any subsequent repeat will begin the rejection process.
It can take a while and can be stressful, but at least you’d get all of your money back (minus an amount for the miles you’ve done).

If purchased in June, you’re still well within rejection territory.
You’re past the ‘very easy’ rejection time limit, but you’re still within the time zone that gives then one opportunity to fix any issues and that’s it.
If you want to go down this route inform them on email (copying in finance if applicable) stating that they are getting one attempt only to fix the issues and any subsequent repeat will begin the rejection process.
It can take a while and can be stressful, but at least you’d get all of your money back (minus an amount for the miles you’ve done).
Thanks for the advice - I already know of this possibility as a result of reading the Consumer Rights Act 2015, but thank you for reminding me.
Were it not for the complete lack of confidence that MG will fix all of these annoying software issues (but especially the screen reliability and lane keeping assist) - I would keep the car, as in every other respect it is a great EV for the money!

The LKA turning on when the screen changes between light and dark is definitely a bug, because the SE doesn't do it. They seem more proactive in fixing Trophy bugs than SE bugs, so I'm surprised they haven't fixed that one yet.

I honestly don't find the LKA a problem.

Yes it kicks in but it's never going to throw you into a ditch or across the motorway. It can be abrupt but it's easily over come just by holding the steering wheel and the adjustment is never more that a few centimetres.

I've been monitoring mine for nine months and the most it's moved me was about 30cm and it then straightened the car up.

All in all I'm very pleased I bought the MG4. It's comfortable, economical and as fast as you want it to be without going crazy (that's why god invented the MG4 X-Power). I've never had a problem getting a charge while on the road and it's never been back to the dealer. My service is booked in for January at £99 including another year's AA.

Well, I am happy to be alive to post this message - no thanks to Cato, my LKA. Driving down a country lane this week and Cato suddenly, and for no reason, started pulling the steering wheel right, so the car veered towards an oncoming flatbed truck. It was close, but I foiled his assassination attempt and wrestled him back just in the nick of time. This is getting silly now.

Yes it kicks in but it's never going to throw you into a ditch or across the motorway. It can be abrupt but it's easily over come just by holding the steering wheel and the adjustment is never more that a few centimetres.

I've been monitoring mine for nine months and the most it's moved me was about 30cm and it then straightened the car up.

All in all I'm very pleased I bought the MG4. It's comfortable, economical and as fast as you want it to be without going crazy (that's why god invented the MG4 X-Power). I've never had a problem getting a charge while on the road and it's never been back to the dealer. My service is booked in for January at £99 including another year's AA.
Would be very interested to see why yours is so much better than many others reporting issues?? Is it the road markings, the firmware level or other factor as it sounds like LKA does have the potential to work

Would be very interested to see why yours is so much better than many others reporting issues?? Is it the road markings, the firmware level or other factor as it sounds like LKA does have the potential to work
I have no idea what software version it is. It was built in November last year and delivered mid-January. Never been look at since I picked it up from the dealer. Road markings where I live are totally random. Twisty lanes, sometimes with markings, sometimes not. Then I go on major A roads most days and Motorways a few times a month.

My wife drives it too and although she was nervous about it at first she soon realised that although it sometimes feels like its going to do a massive swerve in never does. It just straightens the car up.

From discussions elsewhere:
  • Could be that the car needs to properly boot for systems to calibrate correctly and some people seem to press the brake pedal and drive off before the boot sequence is completed properly - maybe this confuses LKA.
  • Could also be that people feel the initial tug from LKA and assume it will pull them into the ditch but actually it won't - but they never let themselves find out.

Can I just ask if using the indicator does stop it ?

I am owner of SE SR from one of the first batch. I switched off LKA on Day 2 and it stayed off till I had a software update last week. Now the LKA defaults to On every time. However after a few days of driving on mixed roads, I am pleased that LKA hasn't tried to kill me and I don't have to fight with the car anymore. I haven't bothered with switching off LKA now.
Anyone else with SE SR with latest software updates concur?

If I'm not mistaken the car he reviewed last year was just a press car. The car he has now I believe also was provided by a 3rd party and he won't be keeping it. Just for viewer context.

Very much agree. My previous car, Ford Fiesta Vignale also had LKA and it worked pretty much the same as the MG4.
Still love owning and driving the MG4 .

I am owner of SE SR from one of the first batch. I switched off LKA on Day 2 and it stayed off till I had a software update last week. Now the LKA defaults to On every time. However after a few days of driving on mixed roads, I am pleased that LKA hasn't tried to kill me and I don't have to fight with the car anymore. I haven't bothered with switching off LKA now.
Anyone else with SE SR with latest software updates concur?
What software standard is that please.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 507 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel