British Gas EV tariff

Don’t know if this helps but I have the L&G SMETS2 meter with BG (had to wait some time to move over to it as there was a shortage of devices).
On a previous EV tariff it stopped measuring the different rates so I complained and sent them my calcs (xx kw per night x no days etc) and they credited me.
Moved over to the current EV rate in Sept and also moved my solar export tariff to them as it tripled the rate if importing and exporting with them.
Waiting for the billing cycle to come round but the meter reads shown 2 different readings each month so both are going up.
Assume yin know you can work through the readings - BG a website gives instructions for different meter types.
Neither meter has ever had 2 rates on, the smets1 one has been sending readings but only 1 increased on their website. The other is stuck at 0. Both have halted now with the new meter and this only shows 1 rate with no IHD left for me so pretty sure there is no way they will know what was used in the smets1 time, maybe it can be polled from the new one eventually.

Checked citizens advice site with mpan and says it’s not working yet. Getting a bit fed up with them.

Hi Alchemist, as I’m sure you will have discovered if you head over the the Hive EV forum FreeCharger and SmartCharge are currently NOT working. The only option with Hive chargers is to use off-peak with no schedule set on you car.

If you want to monitor your energy usage and don't have an IHD you could try this app

They don’t seem to have EV tariffs listed, unless I’m looking in the wrong place?

An interesting thread.

We have been with Octopus Energy for several years; they are regular Which (consumer Association) best energy supplier for umpteen years now.

Our equiptment.

I fitted (DIY) solar system summer 2022, commissioned 2nd Sept 2022, comprising of 12 number (6 kW) Eurena Group, 450W high efficiency panels (One of Europe’s leading manufacturers, from Spain)

SoFar HYD6000 6kW Hybrid inverter/charger.

Storage is from 48volt x 930Ah traction = 44.64 kWh (aircraft pushback tug) batteries.

Our heating is an IVT Greenline HE ground source heat pump.

WE are heavily dependent on Electricity.

But having recently (3 weeks ago) purchased an MG4 Trophy long range; I’ve been paying close attention to charging costs & times.

Octopus have rather let me down with the installation of an OHME wall charger, telling me 2 to 3 weeks lead time, they rather messed up my application, because I mistakenly claimed for a grant I wasn’t entitled to, they never sent me the intended email to inform me of the situation, after an awful lot of pushing, I’ve now been given a date of 29th November, 10 weeks after paying for the installation. Another DIY installation would have been quicker and cheaper, but decided to let Octopus install.

Currently coping well with the 13amp “granny cable” supplied with our MG4.

Our electricity tariffs are Outgoing Octopus, paying surplus solar into the grid at 15p per kWh.

Buying tariff is Octopus Agile, which is my favourite tariff over the fixed Intelligent tariff, occasionally, Agile pay us to use electricity overnight and their daytime tariff is often much cheaper than Intelligent.

I’m retired so Agile suits us well as I can monitor the half hourly rates, so we programme washing machine and dishwasher, solar storage and now EV to take advantage of the cheapest rates; I’m unable to control the heat pump (heating and hot water) in quite the same mean fashion.

I'm interested to know how others fair with electricity costs, since switching to Agile, our costs are significantly lower!

Hi Alchemist, as I’m sure you will have discovered if you head over the the Hive EV forum FreeCharger and SmartCharge are currently NOT working. The only option with Hive chargers is to use off-peak with no schedule set on you car.
Thanks for the feedback. I understood from Hive that if you have an off peak tariff, that’s what it would use as default, which makes sense. Off peak with no car schedule works just fine with MG4 and Mini PHEV. The reimbursement for the electricity used for 12 months is a welcome bonus

They don’t seem to have EV tariffs listed, unless I’m looking in the wrong place?
Found the solution with great speedy reply from the Loop team. Select Economy 7 and British Gas from there I found the Driver Sept 24 tariff!

Thanks for the feedback. I understood from Hive that if you have an off peak tariff, that’s what it would use as default, which makes sense. Off peak with no car schedule works just fine with MG4 and Mini PHEV. The reimbursement for the electricity used for 12 months is a welcome bonus
Please check out the Hive forum for their charger as you may not get what you think, until BG fix their software.

Hive have made changes to T&C’s regarding their game all boxes, that may affect some members ?.

IMG_1784.jpeg

IMG_1785.jpeg

IMG_1786.jpeg

The plot thickens (or possibly the people at BG thicken, idk). A letter today, sorry we can’t fit your smart meters now, an engineer visited and couldn’t access your meters.

Not entirely sure what the new thing on the wall is - must just be a figment of my imagination. I want rid of them at this point but even more stuck now as I have a none existent meter (not found on the citizens advice checker) with no IHD and only readings at one rate. Incompetence.

It’s been 2 weeks (tomorrow) and the smart meter isn’t connected, still reading a single import rate. Last reading on website was the last one from the smets1 meter. Phone call from them today they are sending an engineer to connect an IHD on 23rd. Pure, unadulterated muppetry.

Give me strength for the 28th when I know an incorrect bill (all at the peak rate) will almost certainly be generated. More time on the phone, in work hours, plus more time, in work hours for them to mess around with the smart meters.

Last edited:
Update again. Today was the day they were meant to come and install the not installed smart meter. They never showed up so on the phone again 14th of December apparently. Complained and want the £30 for them missing an appointment.

So I have a smart meter that is truely dumb (there is no HAN light on the comms hub and it’s just reading 1 rate). Anybody know if I can move away from BG with things in this precarious state ?

Update again. Today was the day they were meant to come and install the not installed smart meter. They never showed up so on the phone again 14th of December apparently. Complained and want the £30 for them missing an appointment.

So I have a smart meter that is truely dumb (there is no HAN light on the comms hub and it’s just reading 1 rate). Anybody know if I can move away from BG with things in this precarious state ?
BG are absolutely incredible, how they manage to stay in business beggars belief. Change over to Octopus, way better!

Hope you get sorted soon.

BG are absolutely incredible, how they manage to stay in business beggars belief. Change over to Octopus, way better!

Hope you get sorted soon.
Thanks - I’m really not sure which way to run with this one now. I’ve never been met with this level of ineptitude (and that is saying something considering some of the places I’ve worked in).

I’d love to swap now but I’ve got a smart meter that is a shiny ornament, no IHD and bills on their way which will be wrong. They’ve beaten me with this one. All I can say based on my experience is stay well away.

Thanks - I’m really not sure which way to run with this one now. I’ve never been met with this level of ineptitude (and that is saying something considering some of the places I’ve worked in).

I’d love to swap now but I’ve got a smart meter that is a shiny ornament, no IHD and bills on their way which will be wrong. They’ve beaten me with this one. All I can say based on my experience is stay well away.
When I moved to Octopus many moons ago, I had a BG non working smart Meter, it wasnt a problem, Octopus installed a new one. Give them a call (use one of the discount codes and gain £50 into your account).

When I moved to Octopus many moons ago, I had a BG non working smart Meter, it wasnt a problem, Octopus installed a new one. Give them a call (use one of the discount codes and gain £50 into your account).
I am seriously considering octopus go. The only downside is that I’d lose an hour and BG fix the price for a year - do octopus fix it on go ?

I think it’s going to take yet another call but this time opening with the line of please transfer me to the most disliked person in the call centre as I’m going to make someone’s day unpleasant. I know it’s not the call centre peoples fault but so help me the company are a shambles.

I am seriously considering octopus go. The only downside is that I’d lose an hour and BG fix the price for a year - do octopus fix it on go ?
They used to do, I dont know if it's changed. What wallbox do you have? is it not one that can go on intelligent?

I think it’s going to take yet another call but this time opening with the line of please transfer me to the most disliked person in the call centre as I’m going to make someone’s day unpleasant. I know it’s not the call centre peoples fault but so help me the company are a shambles.
Sadly, it doesnt surprise me, BG is a complete mess.

They used to do, I dont know if it's changed. What wallbox do you have? is it not one that can go on intelligent?

Sadly, it doesnt surprise me, BG is a complete mess.
Not a supported one for the intelligentness. If it’s anything like the hassle of just getting a new smart meter I’m not too fussed - tbh I’d rather not hand over that element of charging.

Not a supported one for the intelligentness. If it’s anything like the hassle of just getting a new smart meter I’m not too fussed - tbh I’d rather not hand over that element of charging.
You are having a tough time.

When you say you don't want to hand over that element of charging, may I ask what you think you're handing over?

You are having a tough time.

When you say you don't want to hand over that element of charging, may I ask what you think you're handing over?
As I understand it once on there they will stop, start charging etc to attain desired charge by the time you want including charging when demand is low etc even if it’s outside of the hours but you do get the defined window for the whole house load etc. and can boost charge at will. Correct me if I’m wrong. I get it (although it’s academic with the wall unit I have) and sure that WILL be the solution for all and grid balancing in future.

I don't want to add any more complication, along with costs for a new EVSE - don’t think my nerves would stand it either hahah.

As I understand it once on there they will stop, start charging etc to attain desired charge by the time you want including charging when demand is low etc even if it’s outside of the hours but you do get the defined window for the whole house load etc. and can boost charge at will.
You get 23:30 to 05:30 at 7.5p no matter what else is going on, it's easy to stop the EV / Wallbox being under intelligent control if so desire. If you want to allow the intelligent aspect you dont set any schedules and simply plug you car in. The rest of the house continues as above, the car charge will take place under Octopus control. Our MG5 has just the second been plugged in when my other half arrived home, 30 seconds later i have the schedule it's going to use:-
23:30 to 00:00
01:30 to 02:00
02:00 to 02:30
02:30 to 07:30
So tomorrow i will have off peak electricity until 07:30. The only time I have seen it fail is when there has been a car issue or someone sets a schedule up as well.

Correct me if I’m wrong. I get it (although it’s academic with the wall unit I have) and sure that WILL be the solution for all and grid balancing in future.
Depending on how much off peak energy you use, it may be cost effective to sell the wallbox you have and buy a Zappi (2nd hand Ive seen them at £250 and less.

I don't want to add any more complication, along with costs for a new EVSE - don’t think my nerves would stand it either hahah.
Octopus GO is a great tariff, just costs a little bit more and has a shorter off peak time, it is however a good tariff from a great company.

Some great info there on schedules etc with intelligent didn’t know the exact details of a schedule like that tbh.

My home is heavy on electricity no gas and a lot used at peak hours (long story) no storage heaters and someone in 24/7. With added load of the car made sense to go to a tariff with off peak and shifting water heating, washer etc no heartache. Charger is 3 months old so keeping that - waiting for my unloop too and charger was installed with the conditions set by NG that it is load limited. Further complicating - I’m changing jobs shortly doing a lot more miles but they will provide me with charging on site (“free” to me) so need to asses how that affects as it’s far enough as not to be always charged there.

I’m not a dummy but this is nowhere near as simple as an ICE vehicle so can see why some aren’t on board - worst bit the issues aren’t with the car (well the leaky boot is)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom