British gas/Hive/change charger?

Laurence1982

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi all,

Currently on BG fixed one v32, but looking at switching to the electric driver v5 tariff (looks like it'll be much cheaper to charge overnight). The other option is the Price Promise but by my calculations it'll be more expensive overall.

Hive/Freecharge so far is a joke - 50/50 as to whether it charges overnight. We have an eo mini pro 3 (had to get through BG/Hive to get the Freecharge). No credit showing on account yet (though I've been assured by other users that might just be delayed as they've had similar issues). I'd move to octopus but our car isn't supported yet and the BG electric driver v5 tariff is comparable.

So my question is whether anyone has any advice based on all that!

I think what I want/have to do is stick with BG for better rates, ignore Freecharge, and change the charger (hopefully they'll refund) to an ohme (highly recommended). Then rely on the ohme scheduling to only charge overnight (at the cheap EV rates) rather than the hive "scheduling". (Also the eo mini pro only has GPRS which may be partly/completely causing issues, whereas the ohme is 3/4G).

Any experience/advice appreciated!

Laurence

Hi all,

Currently on BG fixed one v32, but looking at switching to the electric driver v5 tariff (looks like it'll be much cheaper to charge overnight). The other option is the Price Promise but by my calculations it'll be more expensive overall.

Hive/Freecharge so far is a joke - 50/50 as to whether it charges overnight. We have an eo mini pro 3 (had to get through BG/Hive to get the Freecharge). No credit showing on account yet (though I've been assured by other users that might just be delayed as they've had similar issues). I'd move to octopus but our car isn't supported yet and the BG electric driver v5 tariff is comparable.

I think what I want/have to do is stick with BG for better rates, ignore Freecharge, and change the charger (hopefully they'll refund) to an ohme (highly recommended). Then rely on the ohme scheduling to only charge overnight (at the cheap EV rates) rather than the hive "scheduling". (Also the eo mini pro only has GPRS which may be partly/completely causing issues, whereas the ohme is 3/4G).

Laurence
Try posting in the General Chat forum as your question isn't MG4 specific and you'll get a wider audience 😁
General Chat Forum

Thanks -someone else has told me this so I'm hoping to make the move but still waiting on hive to get back to me following their investigation then I want to know if they'll refund the charger and let me leave (ideally with waived exit fees)

I don’t have a hive or speciality charger that can work with octopus etc. I do use BG though - unless you are one of the lucky ones you WILL have trouble with them, getting the right tariff/billing sorted and their smart meters. It took 3 months to go from smart PAYG to their EV tariff, 2 smart meter changes and hour after hour on the phone.

That said many will suggest going for the swapping the charger and moving to octopus - it should work with supported charger despite the car not being supported.

BG is “better” for a standard EV tariff than octopus go (rates are virtually the same but you get an extra hour with BG) however, intelligent octopus is cheaper and you get longer.

Hi all,

Laurence
If the Hive isn't working correctly and they've had chance to fix it and failed, insist on a refund, it's your rights. BG and Hive have a dreadful reputation and you'd do well to get rid of both. Octopus can supply you via their Intelligent GO tariff at 7.5p for 6hours overnight and additional times under their control. You need either a compatible car (MG isnt) or a compatible wallbox - Ohme, Zappi or I think Wallbox are the options.

4.95p/kWh

Already have a Hive EV charger?
You could get a 4p/kWh saving on all your EV charging with Hive SmartCharge if you get your electricity from us. Combine this with our Electric Driver tariff, and you could be paying just 4.95p/kWh if you plug in overnight between 12am – 5am.

4.95p/kWh

You could get a 4p/kWh saving on all your EV charging with Hive SmartCharge if you get your electricity from us. Combine this with our Electric Driver tariff, and you could be paying just 4.95p/kWh if you plug in overnight between 12am – 5am.
On first sight that looks to be a great price overnight, it's just when you study it in detail it's not so good o_O
The 4.95p only applies if you have a Hive wallbox and your car is plugged in and charging whereas my favourite supplier their 7.5p kWh applies every night for 6 hours rather than 5. As usual, it's British Gas up to their sly and devious marketing techniques instead of being open and up front.

....................We have an eo mini pro 3 (had to get through BG/Hive to get the Freecharge). No credit showing on account yet (though I've been assured by other users that might just be delayed as they've had similar issues). I'd move to octopus but our car isn't supported yet and the BG electric driver v5 tariff is comparable.

When did you purchase your Hive EO Mini Pro 3 ?

If it was after 19th October 2023 you should be getting completely free EV charging for a year (or up to 8000 miles) :-

I'd stick with this deal if you qualify and complain to BG until they sort it out.

Oh John,

BG charging is one of the cheapest, if not the cheapest out there !

4.95p/kWh

I can sense that this is going to degenerate into a tit-for-tat 🙄

Please take it to PM if so.
It's a re-match of the "discussion" started here

Oh John,

BG charging is one of the cheapest, if not the cheapest out there !

4.95p/kWh

I absolutely agree at 4.95p it is the cheapest for EV charging but NOT overall when you take additionbal hours into account and the fact its only when the EV is charging.
I dont wish to argue, merely pointing out to other if it seems too good to be true it usually is as in this case.:)

No point to be made John , for me and others charging for the 5 hours is 4.95p/kWh with 9.95p/kWh to run our white goods. Works for us.

But to keep you happy, I agree that Octopus are the best ! 🤣

No point to be made John , for me and others charging for the 5 hours is 4.95p/kWh with 9.95p/kWh to run our white goods. Works for us.

But to keep you happy, I agree that Octopus are the best ! 🤣
To be honest I'm still on an EDF legacy tariff at 4.5p/kWh 00:00 - 05am, which ends in June 24, my latest bill shows that i use 200kw peak & 6000kw off peak a year. Given that EDF have just released a new 24/7 unit rate at 21p/kWh (but standing charge is upto 65p / day)- I'm kind of hoping that a price war will start to emerge - some hope though - I'm probably better off on a zero standing charge tariff, but I doubt exists?

I've just done a quote with them ... their estimated monthly cost (based on estimated units - gas and leccy - that are surprisingly close to actual) works out a little higher than the standard EDF tariff I'm currently on - and that's coming down next month. 🤷‍♂️

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 499 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back