British Gas With Smart Meter - Off Peak EV Charging.

Buster72

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
In preparation for our MG4 delivery, predicted mid April 23, we have booked with BG to have a Smart Meter installed for home charging.
Q. Is anyone with BG and what are your experiences with off peak home charging.
Thank you.

What are the current BG tariffs ? I didn’t know that they did a specific EV tariff?

Ah - found it! It’s about the same as Octopus Go for me. It also depends on what% of you electric use is for charging. For me it’s about 65% used for charging.
92D8CB66-CB26-4AB8-A166-3DE824F01CDA.jpeg

Like with most night tariffs you need to try and shift all your power hungry items into that 4 hour window by setting timers.
I have fitted a couple of small storage heaters just to take the edge off using the cheap rate.

Like with most night tariffs you need to try and shift all your power hungry item into that 4 hour window by setting timers.
I have fitted a couple of small storage heaters just to take the edge off using the cheap rate.
I’ve been looking at that - any recommendations? My gas central heating costs over £3/hr to run so £25+ a day in winter!

I had two old units only 1.4kW so I can use with Hive switches, the modern ones don't turn on when you power them up but have timers built in.
I have a couple of small 800W oil filled rads that help too.

I had two old units only 1.4kW so I can use with Hive switches, the modern ones don't turn on when you power them up but have timers built in.
I have a couple of small 800W oil filled rads that help too.
Yeah, I use some oil filled 2kw rads but on day rate at 42p/KwHr they are quite expensive too.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom