Buying a type 2 charging cable

superhans

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Hello, apologies if there’s a thread for this elsewhere!

We’re due to pick up our cars this week but have been told it’s just the granny charger (not an Affinity purchase). Is around £130 fair enough for one? Have seen some on eBay for about 99 quid but a bit suspicious!

We’re due to pick up our cars this week but have been told it’s just the granny charger (not an Affinity purchase). Is around £130 fair enough for one? Have seen some on eBay for about 99 quid but a bit suspicious!
I might have a spare one. I will look in the morning and let you know. If I have you can DM me with your address and I will post it out to you :)

I'm picking up mine tomorrow, I noticed on the Test drive that the 3 Pin plug on the "Granny Charger" was moulded, and seemed rather chunky, does this fit in a standard outdoor waterproof socket?

The one with my MG5 is tight in the weatherproof socket you may find it fits in some better than others.

I'm picking up mine tomorrow, I noticed on the Test drive that the 3 Pin plug on the "Granny Charger" was moulded, and seemed rather chunky, does this fit in a standard outdoor waterproof socket?
use it on my outdoor socket ok

I had an existing outside socket my plug wouldn’t fit in it. So instead I cut a small groove in my shed door, big enough for cable from the charger to the car to slot into. So my three pin plug and charger are inside the shed and the cable and charging plug outside. I put a rubber bung in the slot in the door when not using to keep the mice at bay. Both the external plug and my shed have a dedicated loop on my main switch panel. I have used the charger when away from home and my plug has fitted into some outside sockets elsewhere but not all.

A few cable recommendations here:

Found it :) It’s a Hyundai badged one from when I had the IONIQ and the garage I sold the car to didn’t want the cable !!

Anyway, you’re welcome to it. Just PM me with your address and I will get it boxed up and sent to you :)
Not to be too cheeky Dave but if Superhans doesn’t get back to you, or decides against the lead, I’d love having first refusal on your old Hyundai lead. 🙏😇

I know when I got my home ev charger put in in Feb when orded pod point sold me a 5m lead and could have gone for 10m one but the price wow have you not got a home ev charger is so who from and when order it did they not sell you one 👍

Evonestop are reasonable for quality cables. I went with untethered at home and traded the affinity 5m lead back to the dealer towards my accessories.

The car being 4.5m long means unless you're pulling up nose first, a 5m lead isn't long enough so I opted for 10m, not the lightest thing at 6kg and like handling an Octopus when wet 🤣

I know when I got my home ev charger put in in Feb when orded pod point sold me a 5m lead and could have gone for 10m one but the price wow have you not got a home ev charger is so who from and when order it did they not sell you one 👍
I’ve got an untethered Ohme being fitted on Wednesday so don’t have a clue if it comes with one or if the fitter will sell one or anything yet. Bl00dy cars not even here yet so I’m not panicking!!😂😂

Understand where you coming from theroadrunner lol but I think most new cars don't come with the cable besides the emergency 3 pin cable and I think only mobility will get the cable for you just have buy your own me thinks lol

umm, I always thought the car would come with a charger cable? Looks like I may need to buy one…

Last edited:
Sorry yes you will when I bought my pod point when ordering it that was one off the things said I need the charger cable I got the 5m not the 10m one so far all good 👍

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom