Buying Secondhand

Dragonfly

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Okay we've had the ZS nearly 12 months, and before that we had a few leafs so I'm not new to the EV world, but we're looking for a possible second car, and a secondhand MG5 makes a lot sense, probably first generation, unless a bargain comes up.

Firstly what are the weak points on the car, are there any tell tales signs of private hire usage, etc.

Secondly I've heard said that the warranty might not always be honoured under certain circumstances, is there way to check the warranty before purchase?

Okay we've had the ZS nearly 12 months, and before that we had a few leafs so I'm not new to the EV world, but we're looking for a possible second car, and a secondhand MG5 makes a lot sense, probably first generation, unless a bargain comes up.

Firstly what are the weak points on the car, are there any tell tales signs of private hire usage, etc.

Secondly I've heard said that the warranty might not always be honoured under certain circumstances, is there way to check the warranty before purchase?
Warranty docs attached, do remember though that under consumer law, no matter what MG may want you to believe it does not over rule your rights.

Attachments

• Warranty.pdf
    3.9 MB · Views: 103

As you've had a ZS for a year you will be familiar with all the MG foibles. They are the same in the 5 as in the ZS.
Tell tale sign of private hire usage.....mileage ???

I would summarise that as basically a 3 year warranty on most non wear and tear items, with the exception of battery, and bodywork, no obviously gotchas apart from mileage of 80k after year 1 - 7

As you've had a ZS for a year you will be familiar with all the MG foibles. They are the same in the 5 as in the ZS.
Tell tale sign of private hire usage.....mileage ???
I guess the mileage, sticker marks, and dash holes are all possibles, for private.hire, but most use apps these days, so even the dash holes aren't a given.

I know in the ZS rear springs and 12v batteries are know failure items. I think 12v battery is common for most MG evs, but anything special on the 5?

I guess the mileage, sticker marks, and dash holes are all possibles, for private.hire, but most use apps these days, so even the dash holes aren't a given.

I know in the ZS rear springs and 12v batteries are know failure items. I think 12v battery is common for most MG evs, but anything special on the 5?
Not heard of anything like springs being a problem, the usual squeaky brakes because they're not used. The Mk1 5 seems quite a sturdy, just gets on and does the job vehicle, I'm sure you've seen or are aware of the James and Kate (Clevely's) YouTube channel. That's a good starting point for all things 5.

I would summarise that as basically a 3 year warranty on most non wear and tear items, with the exception of battery, and bodywork, no obviously gotchas apart from mileage of 80k after year 1 - 7
If you look at the warranty document if the items arent mentioned then the 84 months applies eg motor, gearbox, charging unit, motor speed controller, onboard electronics eg dashboard display should all be 84 months. Well, thats how I read it, tell me I'm wrong (hopefully not).

You are absolutely correct John.
It's actually quite simple but many don't get it because they are looking for complication.

Okay next question, as there is a digital service record, is there anyway to check this online, before travelling to see a car? Might just be me, but I don't trust used car dealers as far as I can throw them, especially ones 200miles away from home.

Okay next question, as there is a digital service record, is there anyway to check this online, before travelling to see a car? Might just be me, but I don't trust used car dealers as far as I can throw them, especially ones 200miles away from home.
I dont know if the MG5 contains the service record onboard but what year / mileage does the car have on the clock? The servicing requirements are relatively low.

I'm looking at a few with varying mileages, most would be either 1 or 2 services.

The whole digital services thing didn't really bother me, but I do think that the owner should be able to check it, and screenshot/print it for perspective buyers, even ask for an email copy as a pdf.

If the earlier MG5 are paper book, that suits me, does anyone know when it changed over if it did? I doubt it's be as simple as changing at the facelift.

I've just been speaking to the seller on one car that has the following service history.
2023-07-11 - 45385 - Non MG Dealer
2022-11-08 - 30315 - MG Dealer
2022-05-04 - 12003 - MG Dealer

Should I be concerned about the Non MG Dealer, and the 18000 mile gap between the first 2 services.

Is there an email or something that I can email MG to get confirmation the warranty is intact.

I've just been speaking to the seller on one car that has the following service history.

Should I be concerned about the Non MG Dealer, and the 18000 mile gap between the first 2 services.

Is there an email or something that I can email MG to get confirmation the warranty is intact.
This is MGs recommended service schedule, from this you have nothing to worry about on that car service wise. 45k in just over a year is high though, possible a company car?
My own car is a company car, 60k miles in 2 years with 98% soh on the battery. Only one problem that ended up taking many weeks to fix but that was down to the dealer misdiagnosing the fault.

Weak points - looks, other than that the pre-FL car is great. You should be able to pick one up for about £16k with reasonable mileage ... I recently had mine valued (71 plate LR Excite pre-FL, with 23k miles on the clock at £15k. I'm not getting rid any time soon though (because I love it), was just curious ...

;)

The service interval is yearly or 15k, if the second service was 3k over due I would have thought it was therefore out of warranty.

I'm looking at a few with varying mileages, most would be either 1 or 2 services.

The whole digital services thing didn't really bother me, but I do think that the owner should be able to check it, and screenshot/print it for perspective buyers, even ask for an email copy as a pdf.

If the earlier MG5 are paper book, that suits me, does anyone know when it changed over if it did? I doubt it's be as simple as changing at the facelift.
You could ask them for a copy of the service receipt from the dealer. I got a paper receipt from the dealer that serviced my MG5 and it had the detail. 1st service and showed no extra jobs performed.

It's now in the folder that contains my V5, receipts from purchasing and so on, which will go with the car should I ever change it.

Great value secondhand at the moment
Make sure you know what you are buying.(price is sensitive to mileage and variant)
I have an early SR MG5 with no MG Pilot (Suits me as I drive on narrow lane and it would drive me nuts) Easily identified as the buttons on the end of the stalks are black
When the the LR came out It was shipped with MG Pilot at the same time the SR models were also Shipped with MG Pilot (easily identified as the buttons on the stalk controls are light Blue)
These various changes make a good haggle point.
There are also still some pre registered pre facelift models for sale with delivery mileage at silly prices.
Be prepared to haggle, all versions are great cars I love my early SR model
The only black mark was the original tyres which were useless and could not take the power. They also wore out quick 15K miles was not uncommon.
Also the headlights are not the best but a change of bulb makes all the difference.

I got an email from MG, that clears up the non-MG service, but is as clear as mud on the 18000 miles service
Thank you for your email and your interest in MG vehicles.

The warranty is still intact on the vehicle, however, should a failure occur and MG feel that it is the result of the vehicles service history, then that particular claim may be affected.

With regards to the 3rd service, it does not matter that it has taken place outside of the MG network, however we would require a supporting invoice, detailed to show who has carried out the service and what work was undertaken.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom